Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2013 5:58:00 AM EDT
Let's just say North Korea finally flips out (crazy is in Dear Leaders nature) and goes on the offensive by launching artillery at US and South Korean positions and the city of Seoul. At the same time they launch 1 - 3 nuclear weapons towards the US West Coast but detonate them at altitude with the intent of causing an EMP that would directly affect CA, OR, WA, parts of NV, UT, AZ, and ID.

What would our domestic response be? How would we prosecute a war in the Korean peninsula while dealing with the collateral damage of a partial grid failure?

Note: "Towards" and "intent" are used as it seems plausible that the Norks could launch one or more missiles heading our way, but actually getting the full distance and accuracy is doubtful. With the Compton Effect, an air blast would still cause electrical interference as far as the horizon from the point of detonation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
South Korea F's them a new A...while we ask congress what to do...while FEMA and local responders contain & attempt to fix the grid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
US Missile defense systems would engage and destroy NORK ICBMs mid Pacific. US would retialate with sub launched nukes and ship launched cruise missles and flatten Nork C3, Air Defense and other military targets. B-52s launch from Guam and flatten whats left.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
US Missile defense systems would engage and destroy NORK ICBMs mid Pacific. US would retialate with sub launched nukes and ship launched cruise missles and flatten Nork C3, Air Defense and other military targets. B-52s launch from Guam and flatten whats left.

I was under the impression our missile defense system wasn't all that great, and in the scenario provided the nork missiles could be detonated hundreds of miles offshore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
A stern warning that if they do it again, then we will really be angry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Obama claims personal credit for taking out North Korea, packs SCOTUS, court find 22nd Amendment unconstitutional...

...Obama becomes President for Life.

FIFY

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Obama would apologize
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression our missile defense system wasn't all that great, and in the scenario provided the nork missiles could be detonated hundreds of miles offshore.

A trailer launched, radar guided system (patriot) was engaging much smaller targets (scuds) over much shorter distances in the early 1990s (Gulf War). I'm just a dumb grunt but I have no doubt that the US military has the capbability to intercept and destroy ICBMs. Particularly whatever rickety crap the Norks could lob at us (if they have the ability to launch one at all).
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well we did give up those nuclear tipped Nike batteries for something else

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Even Obama would glass them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A stern warning that if they do it again, then we will really be angry.

Yep,probably in a letter...........

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
First, NK does not currently have the ability to reach close enough to the west coast to affect it with EMP, and many people think the threat of EMP is highly exaggerated.

But ignoring that and assuming the US had somehow failed to spot the multiple days of preparation it takes to fuel and ready for launch a taepodong-2 missile there would only be one correct response - a nuclear strike on North Korea.

You thought there was a massive public outcry after 9/11, now imagine if a major part of the welfare class couldn't watch their favorite TV programs and couldn't drive to the store to buy cigarettes and booze with their EBT cards??? No way Obama could ignore that and oppose a nuclear response.

I doubt we would use ICBMs or SLBMs, too much of a chance to scare Russia or China, but we could easily make North Korea glow with a handful of B-52s firing AGM-86B cruise missiles from well outside the range of any anti-aircraft defenses. 20 missiles per plane, 150 kilotons of kick ass per missile, equals 3 megatons per plane. Game over.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
we could easily make North Korea glow with a handful of B-52s firing AGM-86B cruise missiles from well outside the range of any anti-aircraft defenses. 20 missiles per plane, 150 kilotons of kick ass per missile, equals 3 megatons per plane. Game over

I think.. i think I just got an erection..
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
South Korea F's them a new A...while we ask congress what to do...while FEMA and local responders contain & attempt to fix the grid.

It's been my experience that most South Korean (young) men are more interested in finding the right handbag than they are fighting their Northern neighbor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

First, NK does not currently have the ability to reach close enough to the west coast to affect it with EMP, and many people think the threat of EMP is highly exaggerated.

But ignoring that and assuming the US had somehow failed to spot the multiple days of preparation it takes to fuel and ready for launch a taepodong-2 missile there would only be one correct response - a nuclear strike on North Korea.

You thought there was a massive public outcry after 9/11, now imagine if a major part of the welfare class couldn't watch their favorite TV programs and couldn't drive to the store to buy cigarettes and booze with their EBT cards??? No way Obama could ignore that and oppose a nuclear response.

I doubt we would use ICBMs or SLBMs, too much of a chance to scare Russia or China, but we could easily make North Korea glow with a handful of B-52s firing AGM-86B cruise missiles from well outside the range of any anti-aircraft defenses. 20 missiles per plane, 150 kilotons of kick ass per missile, equals 3 megatons per plane. Game over.

This.  We'd have to be fairly precise with our delivery and seeing as how North Korea doesn't really have much in the way of infrastructure or assets it would be a fairly short return of fire.  The first priority would be to degrade all that artillery they have along the DMZ with the South.  Since it's not nice to nuke your ally we'd probably have to roll with conventional bombing there, lots and lots of conventional bombing.  No doubt the South would prefer we don't just go for a whole sale slaughter of civilians.  

We would then have to apologize to whatever crawled out of the bunkers for bombing the ever living shit out of them once their ears quit ringing.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:26:03 AM EDT
[#15]
pray that Feinstine and most of congress was in an airplane that crashes as a result of the EMP

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been my experience that most South Korean (young) men are more interested in finding the right handbag than they are fighting their Northern neighbor.

true..
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Gee, if only we had a massive military force pre-positioned in that area and decades worth of Pentagon planning for numerous contingencies in that area ...
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#18]
"Ya, Kim Buck Turgidson here. Ya, uhn huh. Listen Kim, I wanna ask you something. Do you know the difference between the sandlot and the majors? Uh ya, it's kinda 'merican idiom. Uh huh. Well, you should ask about that and then think on it while you're crawling across the bottom of the smoldering crater that used to be yer little pissant fiefdom. Ya, I can hold a minute..."
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]

If we wanted to go all-out without consideration for fallout on the South this is a strike from just 2 B-52s with 20 missiles each, inner circle is 5psi overpressure (severe damage to concrete structures), outer circle is 1 psi (moderate damage to houses, people/vehicles fucked up).
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Read "Proud Legions" by John Antal.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#21]
My domestic response would be to fill up the six hundred or so water jugs I have stashed, put the steel shutters on the basement windowells and board up/seal the house , go down to the local gas station with a fistfull of cash and a couple of BPs of Ulyanovsk and ask Yuri if I can get him to personally fill up my remaining empty gas cans ahead of the line of unprepared panicking yuppie derpsters, then go home pop some corn and wait to determine if BO or BI is the best option for the next 36 hours.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#22]
After 50 years of apologist for Hiroshima/Nagasaki I wonder if BHO really would apologize or if we would reach way down in our collective American trousers and find a shrunken marble size "pair" or if we would actually find a large, hairy pair and blast that aggressive, despotic little fucker into oblivion along with 800 million of his troops/subjects? My hope is the latter, not the former. The other 200 mil of the PRNK troops and the citizens left over could then greet and get to know their southern relatives and start rebuilding.

FBHO

Edit ---

Or maybe even better, we take a page from the Ronald Reagan playbook and we park enough warheads in Japan, Thailand, India etc and then in our strongest Kim Il Jong voice from Team America.. look across the table and say to Kim Jong-un ... and say "Go ahead fucker... make my day".

I don't know.. I would be fairly happy either way.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

After 50 years of apologist for Hiroshima/Nagasaki I wonder if BHO really would apologize or if we would reach way down in our collective American trousers and find a shrunken marble size "pair" or if we would actually find a large, hairy pair and blast that aggressive, despotic little fucker into oblivion along with 800 million of his troops/subjects? My hope is the latter, not the former. The other 200 mil of the PRNK troops and the citizens left over could then greet and get to know their southern relatives and start rebuilding.

FBHO

North Korea's population is 24 million.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FBHO

Yes yes, but pointless to try to smoke everyone.. just 2/3 of the "1 million man army" and a percentage of the population.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#25]
If the Norks take out Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area and Detroit, we should thank them for the cleansing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FBHO

Yes yes, but pointless to try to smoke everyone.. just 2/3 of the "1 million man army" and a percentage of the population.

You said 800 million killed and 200 million troops/civilians left over, I think you got your numbers mixed up.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd find the first Nork senior NCO I could find and offer him a bottle of whiskey, a carton of Marlboro reds, and a box of chicken mcnuggets for his entire unit's gear and vehicles. Then I'd offer them $5 a head to help me get them gassed up and to my compound. Then I'd play with my new toys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#28]
we be using congress math
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If the Norks take out Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay Area and Detroit, we should thank them for the cleansing.

Last I checked, Detroit isn't in California or on the west coast.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Their missiles barely make the ocean before they get splashed. We don't retaliate with anything but airstrikes. NK calls for a cease fire within 10 hours of the whole thing beginning. SK agrees because the last thing they want is a flood of millions of ignorant starving people coming into their country.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, Detroit isn't in California or on the west coast.

Dude, Dennis Rodman played for Detroit. It's safe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it isnt.  we have one ground based system on the west coast because of democrats.  oh, and it isnt a MKV warhead either.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FBHO

You said 800 million killed and 200 million troops/civilians left over, I think you got your numbers mixed up.  
Doh! Damn.. I'm looking for some deaths.. yes, you are right.. should be thousand .. not million... dayum I need to wake up before trying to type and think.. I have a hard enough time with one at a time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FBHO

Doh! Damn.. I'm looking for some deaths.. yes, you are right.. should be thousand .. not million... dayum I need to wake up before trying to type and think.. I have a hard enough time with one at a time.

I figured he was including china.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#35]
death and destruction would befall N Korea.

EMP's have been greatly exaggerated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top