Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2002 8:36:43 AM EDT
Anyone watch Good Morning America yesterday?  They were interviewing Bill Clinton about the current Iraq and Afgan situaitons.

The interviewer constantly addressed him as "Mr. President".  I couldn't believe it.

He is NOT the President.  He can be addressed as Mr. Clinton, or as Former President Clinton, but to address him as if he is still the President is just plain wrong.

There is only one President.  That is the person who is sitting in the Oval Office.  Anyone else should not be addressed with that title.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Like it or not this is the accepted protocol for addressing former Presidents.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If I met Colin Powell, I would probably address him as General Powell, not Secretary Powell.  Would I be wrong or impolite?
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone noticed that the media has a habit of referring to GWB as "Mr. Bush"?

-Gloftoe
View Quote

YES!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I met Colin Powell, I would probably address him as General Powell, not Secretary Powell.  Would I be wrong or impolite?
View Quote

I think either would be appropriate, but clinton should assuredly be addresses as President whore chasing, draft dodging, gun grabbing, perjury committing, not inhaling, nuclear secret selling, illegal campaign contribution receiving, federal land grabbing, pardon selling shitbag.

Did I leave anything out?
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Prior to Bill Clinton, I've have heard that the news media refering to out-of-office past presidents "former." When the reporter is talking directly to the person on a one-on-one, they refer to him as Mr. President....  But when they are talking about him in the 3rd person, the media used to refer to them as former-president... BUT I think that these folks are still smarting from the fact that they can't believe that their hero Bill Clinton is out of office, and that Al Gore lost; they are still refering to Bill as Pres. Clinton, when it should be former as a Freudian-slip. One thing for sure, the media has given more screen time to Bill C. than most other former presidents.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the absolute proper way to address clinton and powell.

Clinton:  worthless shitbag traitor.

Powell:  Pussy.

this is the ONLY way they should be addressed.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
"so tell us scumbag, anti-American, lying, cheating puke, what are your FEELINGS on the coming war with Iraq?      [50]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Actually it should be "Mr. Impeached, disbarred and held in contempt for perjury President"

Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes! very impolite.
You should  address him as General Powell,[b]SIR![/b]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Really, and your souce for this is?

The common protocol I was taught was that their is only one President.  If you are refer to a former President with the title "President" it is only acceptable when speaking of them during their time in office.

A quick search through all the news archives I found showed that when speaking about an individual that is no longer president, they ALL used the term "former President".  The exception to this was when referring to Clinton.

If you have a valid reference to back you claim, I would be happy to agree that it is proper to refer to former Presidents as if they are the current President.

Also, by your claim, is Bill Clinton still the Commander in Chief?   After all, the President is the C.I.C, is he not?[:P]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Americans seem to need their nobility fix.  The "office" of POTUS deserves respect and so I would properly have respect for the person presently serving.  After leaving office he is just another citizen, albeit, one with many advantages and benefits.  I can't see the benefit of the pretense unless you absolutely must put yourself on a lower level to demonstrate the class structure that exists to our detriment.

Guys like Hiram Ranger have politically related jobs and may have a more practical viewpoint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Bulls**t, I just did an internet search for former presidents and guess what Clinton was the second one listed.

As far as when I learned it was proper protocol to address former presidents in this manner I do not remember but most likely was when my mother taught me manners, something your mother obviously neglected to teach you.

Educate yourself at the link below; please refer to the parts that address good manners.

[url]http://englishplus.com/news/news1200.htm[/url]

What happens when they no longer hold the office?
Usually out of respect, we would still refer to them the same way. While we might refer to a retired Senator Smith as former Senator Smith or ex-Senator Smith, that would not be appropriate as an address - whether a direct personal address or address on a letter. It is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to continue to address him as "Senator Smith" or write him in care of "Senator John Smith." The term Honorable is usually reserved for those still in office.
For the salutation in a letter, it would still be fine to write "Dear Senator Smith." "Dear Mr. Senator" tends to suggest that he is still in office. There is usually nothing wrong with addressing him as "Dear Mr. Smith," but it is probably better to avoid it unless you know for sure that he does not mind. This is especially true after an election loss. Calling him "Mr. Smith" rather than "Senator Smith" might be calling more attention to his loss - and gloating is never good manners.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top