Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2002 6:20:22 AM EDT
My little girls cat used her closet as his litterbox and now it smells something awful. How can I get this smell out. It about gags me everytime i go into it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to get some enzyme and put it on there. I dont know of any good non-commercial enzymes but that is what you need to look for. Spray it on there let it set for a while and then come back through and spot clean the carpet. That should work.

KC
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
i run one store of a chain of vacuum shops in n.e. ohio. my ex wife had many pets and for a time volunteered at the local humane society.[rolleyes] i'm also a renter who likes to get his deposits back, so i have a little experience with your problem.

the enzyme treatments do work if you follow the directions carefully... but not on a severe situation. the animals have a very acute sense of smell and will go back to the same spot. cats are funny creatures, and any stress (a loud noise could be stressful for a cat) could send it back into the closet. also another pet could find the spot and try to claim it as his territory (dog OR cat). the only sure method is to [b]remove[/b] the carpet and treat and [b]seal[/b] the concrete/wood underneath. then install [b]new[/b] carpeting. sorry for the bad news. talk to your vet or the local humane society about what products they recommend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have cats who occasionally make messes.

[url]http://www.kidsnpetsbrand.com[/url] works very well for that kind of thing.

There are several other enzyme-based cleaners available.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there carpeting in the closet? If so you need to pull it up, cut out the pad and throw it away! Go to Menards and buy new pad. While the pad is out, look at the floor. If it is plywood and wet, the best way is to cut the wood out and replace it. You do not need to be very neat as it is covered by carpet. If it is hardwood then I would coat it with poly.
While the carpeting is pulled up treat the backside of the carpeting with the enzyme treatment. Do this several times. When done scrub it with a solution of vinegar and water as this will chemically react with the urine. You will then lay down new pad, new tack strips and hire someone to stretch carpeting.
Then when all done, take the cat down to the range and try out your AR-15 on a moving target! It is a fast paced shoot the whole family will surely love!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot the cat. Opppps wrong question.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Cats make great range targets at the 100 meter mark....Then you can get yourself a nice gold fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top