Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2002 6:04:40 AM EDT
55. This should not cause surprise: to kill a human being, in whom the image of God is present, is a particularly serious sin. Only God is the master of life!

Yet from the beginning, faced with the many and often tragic cases which occur in the life of individuals and society, Christian reflection has sought a fuller and deeper understanding of what God's commandment prohibits and prescribes.

[43] There are in fact situations in which values proposed by God's Law seem to involve a genuine paradox.

This happens for example in the case of legitimate defence, in which the right to protect one's own life and the duty not to harm someone else's life are difficult to reconcile in practice.

Certainly, the intrinsic value of life and the duty to love oneself no less than others are the basis of a true right to self-defence.

The demanding commandment of love of neighbour, set forth in the Old Testament and confirmed by Jesus, itself presupposes love of oneself as the basis of comparison: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself" (Mk 12:31).

Consequently, no one can renounce the right to self-defence out of lack of love for life or for self.

This can only be done in virtue of a heroic love which deepens and transfigures the love of self into a radical self-offering, according to the spirit of the Gospel Beatitudes (cf. Mt 5:38-40).

The sublime example of this self-offering is the Lord Jesus himself.

Moreover, "legitimate defence can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the State".

[44] Unfortunately it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose action brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason.[45]

Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
55. This should not cause surprise: to kill a human being, in whom the image of God is present, is a particularly serious sin. Only God is the master of life!
View Quote

Not true. Only murder (taking of an innocent life), is sin.

Yet from the beginning, faced with the many and often tragic cases which occur in the life of individuals and society, Christian reflection has sought a fuller and deeper understanding of what God's commandment prohibits and prescribes.

[43] There are in fact situations in which values proposed by God's Law seem to involve a genuine paradox.

This happens for example in the case of legitimate defence, in which the right to protect one's own life and the duty not to harm someone else's life are difficult to reconcile in practice.
View Quote

Only for those who let someone else study the Word for them....

Certainly, the intrinsic value of life and the duty to love oneself no less than others are the basis of a true right to self-defence.

The demanding commandment of love of neighbour, set forth in the Old Testament and confirmed by Jesus, itself presupposes love of oneself as the basis of comparison: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself" (Mk 12:31).
View Quote

In the original language, "neighbor" is defined as someone "in relationship", or someone we know, or meet in our day to day comings and goings....

Consequently, no one can renounce the right to self-defence out of lack of love for life or for self.

This can only be done in virtue of a heroic love which deepens and transfigures the love of self into a radical self-offering, according to the spirit of the Gospel Beatitudes (cf. Mt 5:38-40).

The sublime example of this self-offering is the Lord Jesus himself.
View Quote

Yep!

Moreover, "legitimate defence can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another's life, the common good of the family or of the State".
View Quote

The above is true, ONLY if the above, (particularly the state), are not violating G*ds law.

[44] Unfortunately it happens that the need to render the aggressor incapable of causing harm sometimes involves taking his life. In this case, the fatal outcome is attributable to the aggressor whose action brought it about, even though he may not be morally responsible because of a lack of the use of reason.[45]
View Quote

Lack of the use of reason is no excuse for transgression. We are all PERSONALLY accountable for our actions before G*d. This includes day to day relationships, our employment, "and going to war". We all must be very careful in what cause we fight.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]In the original language, "neighbor" is defined as someone "in relationship", or someone we know, or meet in our day to day comings and goings....[/b]

You should read about the good Samaritan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[b]In the original language, "neighbor" is defined as someone "in relationship", or someone we know, [red]or meet in our day to day comings and goings....[/red][/b]

You should read about the good Samaritan.
View Quote

I have....got questions about it??
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
He meant everyone is your neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not attacking you in particular, but I've heard this before and don't find that argument totally compelling.  While there is some ambiguity in translation, the original does not appear to make the distinction, nor does it qualify the commandement (as in innocent vs. not).
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Not attacking you in particular, but I've heard this before and don't find that argument totally compelling.  While there is some ambiguity in translation, the original does not appear to make the distinction, nor does it qualify the commandement (as in innocent vs. not).
View Quote

Go to [url]www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/intro.html[/url]  If killing was against God's law then he would be guilty of violating his own law! May it never be!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not attacking you in particular, but I've heard this before and don't find that argument totally compelling.  
View Quote

I am no Bible believer, but you're incorrect.  The Hebrew for "Thou shalt not kill" translates better to English as "you shall not do murder" and there is a big difference between killing in war or self defense and murdering someone.
Anyone who examined the Old Testament even cursorily could see that the Biblical God has absolutely NO problem with killing in war, even killing noncombatant women and children (see Numbers 31).
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope...please cite your source/translation...
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

In a way, I think these both mean the same thing.  A person who is about to do you harm, rob you, rape you, etc would not be a person in whom the image of God is present.  I am no expert, but that seems logical to me.  So killing such a person is not the taking of an innocent life, thus not murder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
What about 'Proactive Self-Defense'?

I get to shoot them first to avoid future problems. Preemptive self-defense.

'I had to shoot him, because I knew he would eventually be a problem.'
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My mother taught me my whole life to
"Turn the other cheek"
"The meek shall inherit the earth"

After getting out in the real world,I quickly found out that some people just dont understand anything but a fist!
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not attacking you in particular, but I've heard this before and don't find that argument totally compelling.  
View Quote

I am no Bible believer, but you're incorrect.  The Hebrew for "Thou shalt not kill" translates better to English as "you shall not do murder" and there is a big difference between killing in war or self defense and murdering someone.
Anyone who examined the Old Testament even cursorily could see that the Biblical God has absolutely NO problem with killing in war, even killing noncombatant women and children (see Numbers 31).
View Quote

Better take note Rik, this doesn't happen too often. I agree with you. And you are correct in your definition of "kill". In Numbers 31, however, notice that Moses ordered the innocents to be spared death.

[b]Numbers 31:15  "And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
16  Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
17  Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18  But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" [/b]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

In a way, I think these both mean the same thing.  A person who is about to do you harm, rob you, rape you, etc would not be a person in whom the image of God is present.  I am no expert, but that seems logical to me.  So killing such a person is not the taking of an innocent life, thus not murder.
View Quote

Hmmmmm, when I first read this, I thought gee, he's right. After pondering a moment, I wonder.... "Image", in Chaldean means "likeness,or resemblance". Refering to the physical. We get to the same place, but the original premise is wrong.

"in whom the image of God is present,...."
View Quote

"In" is a misnomer I think, the "image" is not "in" a person, it's "on". Since the fall, and Christs passion, it's the Holy Spirit that's "in", or not.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Luke 10:30 Read it, because I do not want to type it!

Luke 6:27
    But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In Numbers 31, however, notice that Moses ordered the innocents to be spared death.

16  Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
17  Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18  But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" [/b]
View Quote

Ummm...please don't insult my intelligence.  INFANT MALE CHILDREN ARE JUST AS INNOCENT AS VIRGIN FEMALES.  The Israelites were basically ordered to keep the virgin females as sex slaves and ordered to kill not just male children all the way down to helpless infants, but also pregnant women.  Which I guess makes God an abortionist...if you believe God had anything to do with the whole affair.  Which I don't.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Hmmmmm, when I first read this, I thought gee, he's right. After pondering a moment, I wonder.... "Image", in Chaldean means "likeness,or resemblance". Refering to the physical. We get to the same place, but the original premise is wrong.
View Quote

Liberty86, may I ask where you learned to speak Chaldean so well, very impressive? hehehe
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

"in whom the image of God is present,...."
View Quote

"In" is a misnomer I think, the "image" is not "in" a person, it's "on". Since the fall, and Christs passion, it's the Holy Spirit that's "in", or not.
View Quote

Perhaps, "imgage" is a metaphor, not to be taken literally, and "in whom the image of God is present" simply means someone who practices the teachings of God and is not a sinner, i.e. murderer, rapist, mugger, etc.

I don't know, but I can't see that God would not want us to defend ourselves against a vicious person.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll bite...

Everyone is a sinner.

Murder is but one of a trillion sins.

God sees all sin as the same...There are no "degrees" or levels of sin...It is all the same. Just thinking of murdering is a sin...Just thinking of lying is a sin. Your locked into it and there is only one way out.

HUMANS have devised "degrees" and levels of sin.

Humans are not God.

So there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Numbers 31, however, notice that Moses ordered the innocents to be spared death.

View Quote

Ummm...please don't insult my intelligence.  INFANT MALE CHILDREN ARE JUST AS INNOCENT AS VIRGIN FEMALES.  The Israelites were basically ordered to keep the virgin females as sex slaves and ordered to kill not just male children all the way down to helpless infants, but also pregnant women.  Which I guess makes God an abortionist...if you believe God had anything to do with the whole affair.  Which I don't.
View Quote

Biblically, male children, (and males in general), are different. I know that for you liberals, males and females are equal, but scriptually, they are not. That's why sin was brought into the world through Adam, not eve, and why the Christ was a male, not a female. Pregnent females were killed because they carried the spirit of the sin of the people. I do not insult your intelligence, you do fine by yourself....
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Liberty86, may I ask where you learned to speak Chaldean so well, very impressive? hehehe
View Quote

Don't speak it, but know how to look up definitions...Strongs lexicon...
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Neighbor in the Samaritan context, is someone who needs our help. Those who would do us harm, (be they individuals, or the state), contrary to G*ds law do not fit in that category, and should be dealt with accordingly. By using the other quotes, are you trying to say self defense is not legitimate and/or not sanctioned by G*d???
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Neighbor in the Samaritan context, is someone who needs our help. Those who would do us harm, (be they individuals, or the state), contrary to G*ds law do not fit in that category, and should be dealt with accordingly. By using the other quotes, are you trying to say self defense is not legitimate and/or not sanctioned by G*d???
View Quote

NO! But you love the sinner, not the sin!

Is that clear enough?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Biblically, male children, (and males in general), are different. I know that for you liberals, males and females are equal, but scriptually, they are not. That's why sin was brought into the world through Adam, not eve, and why the Christ was a male, not a female. Pregnent females were killed because they carried the spirit of the sin of the people. I do not insult your intelligence, you do fine by yourself....
View Quote

First off you insult my intelligence and your own by calling me a liberal.  Second, you insult EVERYONE'S intelligence when you state that INFANT MALE BABIES are somehow less "innocent" than INFANT FEMALE BABIES.  That HAS to be THE most asinine thing you've ever put to a post, and that's saying quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Is that clear enough?
View Quote

G*d KILLS sinners.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Is that clear enough?
View Quote

G*d KILLS sinners.....
View Quote

All sin and fall short of the glory of God. So were all dead?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
G*d KILLS sinners.....
View Quote

Apparently your version of God kills babies.  Even unborn ones...oh and since at least some of the married women that were murdered had to have been pregnant, it's for sure that some of them were pregnant with FEMALE children...which sort of hamstrings your already feeble argument.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

First off you insult my intelligence and your own by calling me a liberal.  Second, you insult EVERYONE'S intelligence when you state that INFANT MALE BABIES are somehow less "innocent" than INFANT FEMALE BABIES.  That HAS to be THE most asinine thing you've ever put to a post, and that's saying quite a bit.
View Quote

Oh haven't you heard? If you don't believe that the blue color of the sky is caused by "waters," if you question whether the earth is flat with four corners, or understand that dead seeds cannot sprout - that means you dare question the inerrant word of God in the bible and thus are - by definition - a liberal. [rolleyes]

Maybe we should start a new board section just for us "liberals." Interestingly, I doubt the overlords at Democratic Underground use the same definition of "liberal" as many of our friends here.

Adam
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe we should start a new board section just for us "liberals." Interestingly, I doubt the overlords at Democratic Underground use the same definition of "liberal" as many of our friends here.
View Quote

For lib, a "liberal" is anyone who doesn't agree with him.  It's funny in a way since he's so far around the bend that he is actually pretty much a liberal himself.
He believes that the government is responsible for 9-11, just like the radical liberals believe.
He believes the US is trying to go to war with Iraq over oil, just like the radical liberals believe.
He believes that we are at war with Afghanistan for oil, just like the radical liberals believe.
Seems to me that lib is the REAL liberal here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Is that clear enough?
View Quote

G*d KILLS sinners.....
View Quote

God does not kill anyone. He lets people kill people (or, he may let animals kill people, or he may let stupid people kill themselves by being where they shouldnt be...I digress).

God may let your soul die, or he may let your soul live, with him, in heaven...Depends on what you believe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Is that clear enough?
View Quote

G*d KILLS sinners.....
View Quote

God does not kill anyone. He lets people kill people (or, he may let animals kill people, or he may let stupid people kill themselves by being where they shouldnt be...I digress).

God may let your soul die, or he may let your soul live, with him, in heaven...Depends on what you believe.
View Quote

He certainly did in a bunch of 'em at Sodom and Gommorrah.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Good grief riky, learn to read will ya? Where do I state that "INFANT MALE BABIES are somehow less "innocent" than INFANT FEMALE BABIES"??? What I said was, scriptually males and females are different! The reason for this, is that accountability is established through the male line. You prove your liberal tendencies when you constantly attribute false statments to people who never said them!
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good grief riky, learn to read will ya? Where do I state that "INFANT MALE BABIES are somehow less "innocent" than INFANT FEMALE BABIES"??? What I said was, scriptually males and females are different! The reason for this, is that accountability is established through the male line. You prove your liberal tendencies when you constantly attribute false statments to people who never said them!
View Quote

You're the one lying about what you said, lib...not that I blame you, it was an extremely embarassing thing to say, an incredibly dumb statement.  I don't blame you one bit for retreating from it as fast as you can.
Of course your God might blame you, since you're lying.  But that's between you and Him, assuming for argument's sake that He exists.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You're the one lying about what you said, lib...not that I blame you, it was an extremely embarassing thing to say, an incredibly dumb statement.  I don't blame you one bit for retreating from it as fast as you can.
Of course your God might blame you, since you're lying.  But that's between you and Him, assuming for argument's sake that He exists.
View Quote

I'm lying?? This should be easy even for you, it's only a 4 page post.[b]Where do I state that "INFANT MALE BABIES are somehow less "innocent" than INFANT FEMALE BABIES"??? [/b]
Why don't you find where I said it, or show yourself for the  moronic fool .......

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

FYI from the board conduct code....

[b]6) Pure trolling. Either to piss someone off or simply for your personal enjoyment.
If you become a distraction or disrupt the sites day to day activities, you will be removed.

7) No personal attacks towards ANYONE. If you have a problem with someone, then take it offline with them. If it's with a member of the staff or a moderator, then contact someone from the Senior Staff. Attacking a person, ANY PERSON, in a non-joking manner (clearly visible as a joke) will not be tolerated. [red]This includes provoking someone into an attack.[/red]
[/b]
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
You're such a flaming hypocrite.  You issue insults and then claim you were "provoked" into it.  Not surprising given how rapidly you attempt to run away from your own words.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Just so you can be clear about which position you're trying to lie your way out of:

LiarOf02 said:
"In Numbers 31, however, notice that Moses ordered the innocents to be spared death.

Numbers 31:15 "And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves"

I responded:
"Ummm...please don't insult my intelligence. INFANT MALE CHILDREN ARE JUST AS INNOCENT AS VIRGIN FEMALES. The Israelites were basically ordered to keep the virgin females as sex slaves and ordered to kill not just male children all the way down to helpless infants, but also pregnant women. "

LiarOf02 said:
"Biblically, male children, (and males in general), are different. I know that for you liberals, males and females are equal, but scriptually, they are not. That's why sin was brought into the world through Adam, not eve, and why the Christ was a male, not a female. Pregnent females were killed because they carried the spirit of the sin of the people. I do not insult your intelligence, you do fine by yourself...."

(And in that post YOU threw out the first insult in the thread...just to show once more how huge of a hypocrite you are.)

So we see RIGHT THERE where you plainly stated that infant female children qualified as "innocents" where infant male children did not.
It isn't trolling to call you on your own words, no matter how embarrassing you find them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top