Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2002 6:13:39 PM EDT
I am wondering what is the best way to remove the window crank handle form inside the door. I need to get intot the door interior and I cant find a release screw or anything. I pryed on it very lightly coz I didnt want to damage it. But I wonder if thats the way to it comes off
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I only know how to get into half doors, but I think the full door interior panels are the same.  Just pry the panel off the doorframe, carefully, with a large flathead screwdriver.  They use replaceable body fasteners to hold the panel on, and you will destroy a few of them. Save some of the better ones and you should be able to find a pack of replacements at the local auto store for a buck or two.  DON'T got to the dealer, they want $5 apiece the bastards.  Getting it off is a pain, but putting the panel back on is no sweat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I can get the panel pulled no problem, its just the stupid window crank I cant figure out
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know specifically about the YJs but most I've seen, (without a screw), have a wire clip on the shaft of the handle that slips into a groove on the crank.  Push the panel back away from the handle and look.  A small mirror slipped behind helps the handle helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Kea's right if its a typical window crank.

There is a U shaped wire clip under the crank base,between crank and panel.

They have a special handy dandy tool especially for this job that slips under the crank and works in a jiff.

Sell em at all auto parts stores.

Usually on that rack with oddball interior screws and fastners.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a wire clip, I used a small screwdriver, and bent the tip just a bit to grab it

I had to peak into the crack to grab the right spot....

It is easy, but a little frustrating at the beginning...
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The YJ window crank is a little different than most window cranks. There is no wire clip.

To get the round plastic cover off of the crank just unscrew it. If friction won't turn it use something sharp like a knife point or dental pick.

After you get the round cover off then you will see a Phillips screw that holds the crank on the shaft.

Mine don't have the covers on any more. I tend to throw shit like that away. The Jeep works just as well without them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The end of the crank should be tapered.  To put the handle back on, just put the clip in the 'installed' position on the handle and push it back onto the crank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top