Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2002 4:18:22 PM EDT
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in... doesn't really fit in reloading so here it is.

OKAY gang, here is the short version of my problem. I rent a townhouse here in Sarasota County Florida. I also reload all my ammo, have been for about 10 months. Unknown to me, yes I know that the landlord can come in anytime, anyway they came in to do something with the smoke detectors and low and behold discovered my bench with my Dillon 550B, brass, primers, powder etc. Well, I arrived home from work and there is a notice on my door that I am in violation of my lease because of the "explosives" and that if I don't correct the problem in seven days, they will start eviction proceedings.

I call the office and played dumb and they told me that they discovered my reloading stuff. I said that I would remove the powder and the primers and they informed me that I had to remove it all. I was astonished.

Now, I can understand the powder and primers, all I plan to do there is put them in the trunk of my car until the heat dies down and then move them to the closet in the utility room. But brass, bullets and my reloading press and quick change heads for the Dillon. Come on, when was the last time fired brass exploded?

Any Florida attorneys out there on this group? Of course I realize that liberal attorneys and conservative gun owners are mutually exclusive but I thought I'd post the topic. I'm sure I'm dealing with an anti-gun landlord (actually management company) here.

Opinions?

Larry
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start with a lawyer. Then would approach it from the fact that your powder is a propellant, not an explosive.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
As an ex-landlord, depending on the State Law, landlords cannot come into your apartment without providing advanced notice, or if their is an emergency (broken pipe, gas leak, etc). Check your lease, and the law. It sounds like they didn't provide advance notice of entry. If that is the case, contact a lawyer. You may have a case against the rental agent for illegal entry, invasion of privacy and probably a few other things.

Second, you have a written notice to remove explosives. By removing the powder (not really an explosive) and the primers, you have complied with the notice. Send them a notice that you have complied with their notice. Other than that, there is nothing they can do. Bullets, brass, reloading equipment are harmless and they can't legally demand you remove them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I am not a Lawyer and I don't live in Florida.  But I do know that here in Kalifornia landlords can [b]not[/b] enter at anytime they feel like it.  The law very clearly staes that they must give a 24 hour [b]written[/b] notice prior to entry.  I'll bet tjhat FL has a similar law.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top