Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2002 9:34:09 AM EDT
I being a Capitalist am always looking into new avenues for income. I've been wondering if any of you sell items on ebay and how you make out money wise. Do you get alot more for your items than if you put an ad in the paper? Do any of you make a living selling items on Ebay? I'm a Real Estate entreprenuer and the market is down in my area right now. I'm looking to get into something to subsidize my income till the market comes back. Thanks in advance[:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
A close friend of mine is a frequent seller on e-bay and many things aren't selling....economy is down right? And e-bay is rabidly anti-gun.
If you are looking to sell gun-related items try the Equipment exchange here or Gunbroker.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife quit her credit card bank job about two years ago to work from home selling a variety of things on Ebay. It's not a $50k a year a job like she had, but it also doesn't suck the life out of her like the evil credit places did either. I also don't have to do crap aroundthe house either so it's not too bad at all. Also, there's nothing like getting money orders in the mail at home almost everyday. The key is buy very low and sell high. The selling high part is out of one's control, but the buying low part isn't. Just look at what gets bids and go out and get it to sell. Pictures are a must. I won't buy shit if I can't look at it first. Building a strong feedback reputation is very important too. There's only two things that protect a buyer when buying on Ebay. Strong seller's feedback and a for real picture so you know what you're getting. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
i've probably sold a couple hundred items on ebay. there is opportunity there, but not as easy as it used to be. also, depending on the size, weight, and type of item, ebay may not be the best choice. the area you live in may be a better market.

basically, there are a number of variables and you have to know what you are buying and selling. maybe you could start out sellig things you are knowledgeable about...after researching the selling prices on ebay..to see if it is worth your time.

i think durable and functional goods are doing generally well on ebay right now. luxury items and collectables not so much. if you can find something that would jsut be fun for you, that could be a plus too.

Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The neat thing about Ebay is that you can do a search of 'completed' transactions and get a pretty good idea fo what an item will usually sell for.  Of course there are the times when an item will sell for an inordinately high or low amount, but you can minimize that by listing it correctly in the right catagory and with a description that makes sense.  Pictures are worth a thousand words....the greater at ease the bidder is about an item, the higher he'll bid.  Be as accurate on the description as possible and be up front with all shipping charges and acceptable means of payment.  Paypal is nice but has some downfalls as well.  I'de stick with m.o. myself from now on.  A low minimum bid will really get the action started on bidding.  

I sold some reloading equipment on Ebay, but as of the last year or so, haven't been able to find anything to sell.  I'm always looking though!!!  Ebay can be a lot of fun and plenty of people do it for a living.  I just did it for the fun of it.....the extra cash didn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Just go around to yard sales, buy anything that looks old.  Go to a machine shop and have a German Waffen Amt stamp made.

Stamp the hell out of every thing.  Sell it as origional "NAZI" issue.  You will sell out in a week.

Just for fun several months ago we bought a bunch of U.S. P-38 can openers.  Stamped a line through the U.S. stamp.  Put the Waffen Amt stamps on them and sold them as "reissued to German infiltration units during the battle of the bulge"  I was told we got around $5-$8 each for them.  

It was dishonest so we didn't do it again, but our experiment into the gulibility of consumers was a success.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I also have a good friend who has sold many of items on Ebay.......matter of fact he has sold everything he has listed on there...seems to work pretty well...
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I sell vintage guitars and amp on Ebay as well as wristwatches. If the items you plan to sell are popular and easy to get (like Rolex) you'll have a hard time breaking even unless you got the item(s) lower than market value. If you're selling hard to find items (63 Dupont Red Strat) you'll make a killing.

Of course being able to ship the items quickly and weed out the scum is a large factor for not selling on Ebay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, and I'm doing it right now.  I doubt if it'll sell though, I might be too early for hunting season.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1863772518&rd=1[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Good Replies. Keep em comin[:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I sell vintage calculators.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I have only sold a couple of things. The only one I remember is a set of chevy valve covers I got for free from someone, and so I listed them on e-bay. I even linked to summit to show what they were. They were new in box, but with water damage to the box for how long they had been stored, and I got 10 bucks more for them then they sold new at summit. Very weird. Makes me think twice every time I buy something on e-bay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done well.

$36 for a camera manual!

It all depends on what's in demand.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought I just read that we're in a real estate boom?
Anyway, it seems that the niche sales work best. You have to find some obscure thing to specialize in, preferably with collectors that have a 'money is no object' mentality.  Something with limited availability.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
only when i have something i dont need anymore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I've done very well selling just a few diff. items. The key is finding the right items. I would tell you what I sell but you would be a competitor[:)]. An example would be one item I buy disassemble and sell parts. Costs under $300 profit around $1000. Keep mind open when looking for items.
I see your posts alot, I'm in Ohio too. Anyone know how I get Ohio out there?
<------------------------?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've done very well selling just a few diff. items. The key is finding the right items. I would tell you what I sell but you would be a competitor[:)]. An example would be one item I buy disassemble and sell parts. Costs under $300 profit around $1000. Keep mind open when looking for items.
I see your posts alot, I'm in Ohio too. Anyone know how I get Ohio out there?
<------------------------?
View Quote

Go to the top center of your screen and click on profile. You can select Ohio there.

Now how about a hint as to what you sell on ebay[;)][:D]

By the way What part of Ohio are ya in??
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have sold some things on Ebay, I don't make a living off of it but, the extra money is nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Its supply and demand.  I have no problems selling the "right stuff".  If you sell junk of ask for too much it wont sell.  If its a rare piece with a lot of demand, you'll get a lot for it on ebay.  I still love the guy who took his AUG mag apart and sold all the pieces in one lot as replacement parts to get around their anti-gun rules.  I have sold stethoscopes, medical equipment and other knick knacks.  ebay is also a good source for hard to get items.  Someone out there has one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Hilliard, west edge of Columbus.
Hint: toys, there are some that boys like me(30) don't outgrow.
What's the site signature? How do you put that quote at bottom?
What part you in CAPITALIST?
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hilliard, west edge of Columbus.
Hint: toys, there are some that boys like me(30) don't outgrow.
What's the site signature? How do you put that quote at bottom?
What part you in CAPITALIST?
View Quote

The site signature is the quote at the bottom. Type your sig line in there and hit submit.
I'm in Ashtabula. Quite a ways from you.
There are so many toys out there that I still like. HUUUMMM??
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I sell things on eBay quite often and have had pretty good luck.  I use it sometimes to clear out used items I have in stock or items I take on trade and there really isn't a local market for the things.  One of the best things about it is your marketing to literally millions of people everyday.

If you plan to sell firearm related items you may want to check out [url]www.gunbroker.com[/url] and [url]www.auctionarms.com[/url] as I've had really good luck on those as well.

The trick to making good money on ebay is finding a niche of items that people always want.  I haven't had too much luck in that field yet, so I still have my day job. [:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top