Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2013 2:21:41 PM EDT
Whats up with that?  Just had a relative hang up on me...Guy was telling me some problems his college age kid is having in finding a job...I work in the field that that the kid studied for, so offered advice based on my experience and promptly got hung up on.  

Not the first time this has happened with this particular person either..There have been other instances where this person was complaining about things and I offered input or advice, and was essentially told my opinion is not welcome...

Is it me?  If someone is complaining about something or telling you their problems than to me thats more or less an invitation to at least offer your perspective on things...If you don't want to hear what people say don't complain...
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the relative has a mental problem?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whats up with that?  Just had a relative hang up on me...Guy was telling me some problems his college age kid is having in finding a job...I work in the field that that the kid studied for, so offered advice based on my experience and promptly got hung up on.  

Not the first time this has happened with this particular person either..There have been other instances where this person was complaining about things and I offered input or advice, and was essentially told my opinion is not welcome...

Is it me?  If someone is complaining about something or telling you their problems than to me thats more or less an invitation to at least offer your perspective on things...If you don't want to hear what people say don't complain...

he was probably hinting at if you can get him a job at were you work with out an interview
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the quickest ways to irritate me is to not listen to the advice I give that you asked for by telling me about your problems.

If you have a problem, I will try and help you solve it.

If you just want to bitch, start a blog or get a diary.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your relative is acting like a woman, literally. That's an accepted difference between the sexes, women want to be "listened too", they get offended if you tell them what to do. Men only talk if they are seeking input.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not my problem.Avoid energy vampires,tell them to go in the closet and cry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to paraphrase the words of a wise philosopher

If you havin' ____ problems, I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but  a ____ ain't one.

Just fill in the blanks to fit your situation. Girl/bitch, money/dollars, work/job, whatever.

They'll either laugh and change the subject, or think you're a total dick and won't bother you next time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
People are stupid.

the non-stupid ones are assholes.

The non-assholes/non-stupid ones don't need to ask advice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
People like that, you have to stop them before they get into the second sentence, and ask if they're seeking you advice, input or opinion.  If they say "no," the next words out of your mouth are "So why are you telling me?"

Poster above me has it right, avoid emotional vampires.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Does this fit here

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I just sit and stare at them and don't reply. They get tired of listening to themselves talk and go away. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
90% just want to whine. You are one of the 10 to 20% of folks who are problem solvers. Ever wonder why peeps keep having the same problems over and over? Cause they don't really mind and are not interested in fixing the issue. They are not asking for a solution.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't really associate with people who can't take some level of opinion if they share their issues.  

I don't care if they take my advise - it is not about me being right or better at life, but if you won't even listen I don't want you around.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes, someone just listening to them can make a differance....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top