Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 9:26:05 PM EDT
I purchased a Rifle this summer and am discovering it to be an absolute POS. WHat kind of service do they have and how long can I expect it to take them to fix it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
back to which century?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
back to which century?

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good luck

Is that in a good sense or a bad one?

I dunno, maybe I should just order the parts I think it needs to fix it. Ughhh, who the eff ever heard of an AK variant that doesn't feed properly?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
fuck century
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
fuck century

I realize this now. Never again unless I get my hands on a decent used SAR1 that I can inspect closely sometime.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't even bother calling.

Sell it (disclosing any problems of course) and buy a good gun when all this shit dies down

You'll probably come out way ahead in today's market
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually had a draco that wouldn't feed properly. I had a ton of luck with anything century made before. Problem was. I already had an approved Form 1 in hand for that Draco to be an SBR. Make that crap work on your own. I did. All it took was about 5 seconds with a dremel tool.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I actually had a draco that wouldn't feed properly. I had a ton of luck with anything century made before. Problem was. I already had an approved Form 1 in hand for that Draco to be an SBR. Make that crap work on your own. I did. All it took was about 5 seconds with a dremel tool.

Hmm, where did you dremel on it? I have a G2 trigger, so I assume all is well with that. I took the entire fire control group apart and have determined that my hammer retaining spring seems loose compared to videos of peoples on Youtube. Since putting it back together, the pins holding the hammer and trigger are loose because that shepherds hook thing sucks ass. And to think, I used to think I preferred AKs over ARs
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmm, where did you dremel on it? I have a G2 trigger, so I assume all is well with that. I took the entire fire control group apart and have determined that my hammer retaining spring seems loose compared to videos of peoples on Youtube. Since putting it back together, the pins holding the hammer and trigger are loose because that shepherds hook thing sucks ass. And to think, I used to think I preferred AKs over ARs

Are you sure it is installed correctly?  All of the shepherd's hooks I have dealt with had to be manhandled into place (usually used the cleaning rod to provide leverage when reinstalling the safety lever,) and worked perfectly well.  The only time I have seen the pins come loose on an AK were when it was installed incorrectly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure it is installed correctly?  All of the shepherd's hooks I have dealt with had to be manhandled into place (usually used the cleaning rod to provide leverage when reinstalling the safety lever,) and worked perfectly well.  The only time I have seen the pins come loose on an AK were when it was installed incorrectly.

I'm sure I messed something up with it. The thing wasn't feeding right before either though
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm sure I messed something up with it. The thing wasn't feeding right before either though

What type of failure are you experiencing?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]

you bought something from Century??????
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
fuck century

Chimpanzees with large hammers should be able to improve your Century abomination.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stovepipes and half feeds. If you don't slam the bolt and just guide it slowly, it binds and will not move forward without a lot of pressure
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck century

Chimpanzees with large hammers should be able to improve your Century abomination.

The sad thing is other then these issues it's a really decent looking gun

Quoted:

First non 22 Rifle I ever shot was a Century, that things flawless. Must be an anomally
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep...

... and got absolutely no regrets about it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Do yourself a favor.

Take it to a local 'smith that has seen an AK or two, or just finger it out yourself.

Century will just hit it with a hammer a couple times, drag it down the driveway, piss on it, and ship it back as "Repaired"...next fall.

Look for obvious burrs, and buggered steel components where they used the pipe wrench on assembly.
Usually once they are dealt with, things run ok.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8608/m70ab29wc.jpg

... and got absolutely no regrets about it.

That's what I have but in the newer black grip variety. Wanna trade?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a Century cetme once upon a time.  It was absolute junk.  I found out their warranty only lasted for 6 months from the time the gun was sold to the dealer (not to me).  That might've changed by now but never again will I buy anything from them.  I would rather spend my money on a hi-point.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a Century cetme once upon a time.  It was absolute junk.  I found out their warranty only lasted for 6 months from the time the gun was sold to the dealer (not to me).  That might've changed by now but never again will I buy anything from them.  I would rather spend my money on a hi-point.

Next AK is a Arsenal after this experience. I just hope I can get it up and running because I bought a bunch of "accessories" for it before the market went full retard.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
An AK I bought had a screwed up firing pin, Century sent me a replacement free of charge. Took a while to arrive, but it did. Gun worked fine once it was replaced.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next AK is a Arsenal after this experience. I just hope I can get it up and running because I bought a bunch of "accessories" for it before the market went full retard.

I just looked at their website and the warranty is now 1 year from the date that it was sold to the customer.  I still wouldn't hold my breath on them fixing it right.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
My front rivets loosened up on my Century AK74 I just fixed it myself, other than that it runs like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Century FAL that came with an inch pattern mag, when the receiver was metric. They wouldn't just exchange the mag either, they wanted me to send them the whole rifle back and pay shipping each way.

Here's the mag in question:

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stovepipes and half feeds. If you don't slam the bolt and just guide it slowly, it binds and will not move forward without a lot of pressure

I had the same issue with my WASR. I fixed it by rounding and polishing all the edges where the bolt rides on the hammer. The problem with semi AKs is that the hammer and bolt were designed for guns with auto sears. In a full auto AKs the hammer once cocked is held down by the auto sear so the bolt doesn't have to fight it to close. In the semi AKs unless you are holding the trigger back the hammer pops up and rides against the bolt. The good news is that doesn't happen while you are shooting because the disconnector holds the hammer down until you release the trigger.

My WASR was a mess when I got it. You couldn't even close the bolt on a live round because the headspace was too short. On top of that it had all the jamming problems they are known for and a crooked front sight. Also the stock was canted so far to the left that a right handed person couldn't even look down the sights.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same issue with my WASR. I fixed it by rounding and polishing all the edges where the bolt rides on the hammer. The problem with semi AKs is that the hammer and bolt were designed for guns with auto sears. In a full auto AKs the hammer once cocked is held down by the auto sear so the bolt doesn't have to fight it to close. In the semi AKs unless you are holding the trigger back the hammer pops up and rides against the bolt. The good news is that doesn't happen while you are shooting because the disconnector holds the hammer down until you release the trigger.

My WASR was a mess when I got it. You couldn't even close the bolt on a live round because the headspace was too short. On top of that it had all the jamming problems they are known for and a crooked front sight. Also the stock was canted so far to the left that a right handed person couldn't even look down the sights.

So you're talking about the top of the hammer itself right? How do I go about doing that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I had issues with my century PAP M70 and I was super super frustrated.  I decided to give them a shot and send it back for repair and I am sooooo happy I did.  It wouldn't feed correctly but now it munches ammo out of any mag you give it.

Honestly I was very skeptical but I am so happy I gave them a chance and sent it back.

First test fire after receiving it back.  Customer Service was great too.

Edit: forgot video wont load on iPad!

Test Fire
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a VZ58 clone from them that I sent back.  They "fixed" it and sent it back.  It was still unsat.  I called and told them I wanted a new rifle to replace the unsat one and they did the exchange with no hassle.  The one I now have is a good shooter and I have had zero issues with this one.  I thought their customer service was good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had issues with my century PAP M70 and I was super super frustrated.  I decided to give them a shot and send it back for repair and I am sooooo happy I did.  It wouldn't feed correctly but now it munches ammo out of any mag you give it.

Honestly I was very skeptical but I am so happy I gave them a chance and sent it back.

First test fire after receiving it back.  Customer Service was great too.

Edit: forgot video wont load on iPad!

Test Fire

How long did it take them to get it back to you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
It took about three weeks.  I have fired quite a bit of ammo through it using every type of magazine I could find and it never had a FTF again.  I wanted to be 100% sure I was going to keep this rifle after getting it back so I went out and bought a handful of different mag manufacturers.  My favorite seems to be the Tapco mags which are cheap and fit really well.  There is seriously no wiggle at all.

I am not sure if you're even referring to a PAP so sorry for going off on a tangent
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're talking about the top of the hammer itself right? How do I go about doing that?

Take a look at the hammer and bolt carrier, you will see fairly sharp corners. Those corners force the hammer down abruptly instead of over a longer period of time, that requires more force than if there was a more gentle slope.

If you look at the bottom of the bolt carrier you can see how they made the part at the back that pushes the hammer down a gradual incline but at the front that gradual incline isn't there. Instead it has a steep slope. They did that for reasons I explained above. What you want to do is make the front more like the back, also round off a little the corners left after you do it.

Here is what you want it to look like
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is normal for Century rifles. The seller didn't tell you that?

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#34]
same experience as above, FTF, sent it back now runs well. Took about 3 weeks total. Mine is also a PAP M70.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is normal for Century rifles. The seller didn't tell you that?

I just was stupid and assumed the gun I bought would be like the century one I used in the past. Should have bought an Arsenal
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It took about three weeks.  I have fired quite a bit of ammo through it using every type of magazine I could find and it never had a FTF again.  I wanted to be 100% sure I was going to keep this rifle after getting it back so I went out and bought a handful of different mag manufacturers.  My favorite seems to be the Tapco mags which are cheap and fit really well.  There is seriously no wiggle at all.

I am not sure if you're even referring to a PAP so sorry for going off on a tangent

Hmm, mine is an M70AB2
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:31:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I have bought four rifles from century only one was a complete piece of shit (Wasr-10) traded it to the dealer for a Century Yugo AK. My Yugo AK underfolder works great never had an issue, I also bought a 91/30, and a type 53 both which work great, although the type 53 was a little heavy on the cosmoline.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought a Century FAL that came with an inch pattern mag, when the receiver was metric. They wouldn't just exchange the mag either, they wanted me to send them the whole rifle back and pay shipping each way.

Here's the mag in question:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uluwWjP6Umg/UUgVHvMoPvI/AAAAAAAAAaA/VZKdQ5Zi2Fo/s1024/DSC_7894.JPG

I'll take that mag if you don't want it anymore. I have an inch pattern receiver.

As to the question the OP asked me above. I had half feed issues. The nose of the cartridge was hanging up on the feed ramp. I just got a cone shaped grinding stone and put a slight bevel on the rear of the front trunion (feed ramp area) You can't really tell I did anything at all to the feed ramp but it works now.  

Have you even shot the thing? I noticed you said it's hanging up when you're hand cycling it. You will induce malfuntions if you're easing the bolt instead of making it work like it would during a normal firing sequence. Oh, I also stoned the bolt guide rails because they had burrs on them and used and emory wheel on the bottom of my bolt and on top of the hammer to make them a mirror finish. Works just fine now and runs like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor.

Take it to a local 'smith that has seen an AK or two, or just finger it out yourself.

Century will just hit it with a hammer a couple times, drag it down the driveway, piss on it, and ship it back as "Repaired"...next fall.

Look for obvious burrs, and buggered steel components where they used the pipe wrench on assembly.
Usually once they are dealt with, things run ok.

Pay special attention to the front latch area for the magazine. I've read that Century imports AKs in a single stack mag configuration and mills out the magwell when the gun gets here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top