Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 1:53:52 PM EDT
...my arse is KICKED.
I shudder to think of how I am going to feel tomorrow.

I've been doing pretty much NOTHING except for riding my bike since I 'tweeked my neck and had to stop doing BJJ over a year ago.

I have become a slug and I am tired of it. I will embrace the suck before the suck embraces me!
Now where did I put that Motrin....
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
i got tired reading that.... am i a good candidate?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're nursing an injury be extremely careful with crossfit style workouts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
INB4 obligatory crossfit rotator cuff tear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

2 herniated disks in the back. The trainers are aware of the injury, and I am not going to do ANYTHING to re-aggravate it.

FWIW, crossfit is a MUCH lower intensity workout than BJJ and Muay Thai!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
INB4 obligatory crossfit rotator cuff tear.

Yep, more people, even FIT people, F themselves up doing crossfit!  Ballistic exercises are not good for the body.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember after the first day of P90X when I was grossly out of shape.

My entire body fucking ached and I couldn't even get out of my chair

Well that was three years ago! Now I have to work hard to get sore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 herniated disks in the back. The trainers are aware of the injury, and I am not going to do ANYTHING to re-aggravate it.

Really? I teach Muay Thai (and I'm very traditional in my training methods!) and crossfit kicks my butt.  It's really hard on my lower back and shoulders.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...my arse is KICKED.

I've been doing pretty much NOTHING except for riding my bike since I 'tweeked my neck and had to stop doing BJJ over a year ago.

I have become a slug and I am tired of it. I will embrace the suck before the suck embraces me!

Now where did I put that Motrin Midol....

You can do it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really? I teach Muay Thai (and I'm very traditional in my training methods!) and crossfit kicks my butt.  It's really hard on my lower back and shoulders.

Wish I could still do Muay Thai.

After my firs 90 min Muay Thai class, I really thought I might die. Dizzy, couldn't catch my breath, etc. Could be I went into Crossfit pacing myself a bit instead of trying to go all out on the heavy bag from the jump
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

You can do it.

It dosent currently, but I expect my vagina WILL hurt tomorrow!

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a patient... incredibly fit 32yo male with a herniated disc one time. About 10 months later, I went to a Crossfit class... he was the owner and was working out like a crazy man. He is incredibly fit, but the pounding CF puts on his body is already taking a toll. And he is THE MAN in class.

I went for about 6 times and quit. It wasn't that it was too hard... it was that while I was standing there, watching people lift... I could see multiple future patients... and I didn't want to be one.

Use good form... ALWAYS... Always... always...
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet you the cost of your future Lumbar MRI.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a patient... incredibly fit 32yo male with a herniated disc one time. About 10 months later, I went to a Crossfit class... he was the owner and was working out like a crazy man. He is incredibly fit, but the pounding CF puts on his body is already taking a toll. And he is THE MAN in class.

I went for about 6 times and quit. It wasn't that it was too hard... it was that while I was standing there, watching people lift... I could see multiple future patients... and I didn't want to be one.

yeah the form that a lot of people use in crossfit is terrifying
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

You can do it.

It dosent currently, but I expect my vagina WILL hurt tomorrow!

Oh shit!  You might have sprained your twat!

Hang in there, first couple of weeks of ANY new program sucks.  I have had several friends injured (some requiring surgery) from crossfit, go easy!

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet you the cost of your future Lumbar MRI.

I'm not going to take the bet, but my hope is that if I strengthen the muscles, I will get MORE support and have LESS issues with the back.

Is my line of reasoning wrong?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Prepare to be sore for, well forever. I did crossfit religiously for 2 years and I always has some soreness. It was great aside from the soreness.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

What exercises did you do? I'm looking @ Cross Fit myself, slug here also....
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
prepare to be sore for approximately the first 3-4 weeks of doing it.

Then you get sore after particularly bad WOD's every now and then.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

What exercises did you do? I'm looking @ Cross Fit myself....

AFTER the warm up and learning how to do a number of different excersizes and movements CORRECTLY, we did a work out called  Tabata(sp?)
20 minutes

as many air squats as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sec. X 8
as many sit-ups as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sec. X 8
as many push ups as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sex X8
then roll over and want to die

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Here was my WOD today.  Was an ass kicker.  

WOD:
50 Jumping Squats
50 Butterfly Situps (palms to wall)
50 Flutterkicks (4ct =1 rep)
50 Double Unders
50 Mountain climbers
50 Burpees
50 Knees to Elbows
50 Jumping Jacks
50 Walking Lunges 45/25
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Soon you'll have to go gym door to gym door to convert people.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#24]
This sounds like the Insanity workout. When you are in the fetal position in the last 10 minutes of the workout, you know it kicked your arse!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ya, I see the "cultish" side of things, and I ain't going there.. I'm assuming it exists as predominately as it dose 'tho due to the system working
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Can anybody recommend a good physical training program for someone who is terribly out of shape after almost two years of laying off working out due to heart problems?  No way I'm going to be able to start cross fit or any high-energy workout program, but I need to start somewhere to get back into shape after upcoming heart surgery.  I've lost almost all my upper body strength plus most of my lower body strength as well, and I am no where in shape enough to go eight to ten miles in a long lunch hour run like I used to.

Anybody got any good recommendations?  My ultimate goal is to get back to as near my peak form as possible  Would I be a good candidate for working up to a crossfit program or should I look towards another program?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can anybody recommend a good physical training program for someone who is terribly out of shape after almost two years of laying off working out due to heart problems?  No way I'm going to be able to start cross fit or any high-energy workout program, but I need to start somewhere to get back into shape after upcoming heart surgery.  I've lost almost all my upper body strength plus most of my lower body strength as well, and I am no where in shape enough to go eight to ten miles in a long lunch hour run like I used to.

Anybody got any good recommendations?  My ultimate goal is to get back to as near my peak form as possible  Would I be a good candidate for working up to a crossfit program or should I look towards another program?

Try P90- not P90X, quite different, quite easier.  Then P90X, then Insanity, then Tapout...heal...profit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What I did after my cardiac surgery ( 2 catheter procedures for A Fib and an open heart procedure to remove a growth from my aortic valve ) was LOTS of biking using a Heart Rate monitor to keep myself in a "zone" to build my cardiac endurance.

After the open heart procedure the surgeon / cardo doc told me not to do ANYTHING for 6 months that would raise my HR. I followed his instructions to the T and put on 40 lbs in those 6 months. It has taken me 2 years to get back to where I started.

I'm now trying to improve upon where I was and get back into BETTER shape than I was in in my 20s when I could drop down and knock out 80 pushups in 2 min.

I think it is going to be an uphill climb!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try P90- not P90X, quite different, quite easier.  Then P90X, then Insanity, then Tapout...heal...profit.

P90 is an excellent suggestion. This is a precursor to P90X and will help you get in shape gradually.

I started with P90X 60 lbs over weight and it was tough. I honestly couldn't do one pushup when I started. I lost 60 lbs in 6 months, went from a size 42 waist to a 33, and reduced my body fat from 27% to 13%. I could do 30 pushups in a row easily after P90X. Hell, I was even doing clap pushups.

After P90X I did Insanity followed by P90X2 and Body Beast which I really like. Presently I'm doing a workout called Les Mills Combat. The key is to mix it up and not get bored with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought about doing it til I saw the monthly cost
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]

lol at the crossfit hate ...... keep with it op ..... its a good program
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Hope you get well fast OP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, I see the "cultish" side of things, and I ain't going there.. I'm assuming it exists as predominately as it dose 'tho due to the system working

Ohh no doubt. It seems to work well but it consumes people.

I've been at the gym and had three different people from three different crossfit gyms come and try to take my soul.

I've blocked people on facebook because ALL they talk about is crossfit, start sending invites to their gym as events, post comments in unrelated statuses about crossfit.

We have a guy at work who is constantly trying to monkey the schedule because he "can not" miss this or that crossfit session. Then at work all he talks about is crossfit.not wife, kids, dog, work, furlough or weather. just crossfit or how many kg's of protein he consumes a day.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:14:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been at the gym and had three different people from three different crossfit gyms come and try to take my soul.

I've blocked people on facebook because ALL they talk about is crossfit, start sending invites to their gym as events, post comments in unrelated statuses about crossfit.

We have a guy at work who is constantly trying to monkey the schedule because he "can not" miss this or that crossfit session. Then at work all he talks about is crossfit.not wife, kids, dog, work, furlough or weather. just crossfit or how many kg's of protein he consumes a day.

Wow if dude is consuming multiple kilos of protein daily, I would for sure say he has an issue. I be he is HUGE though!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same here.  So I joined a gym that's costing me something like $16/month instead.  

Isn't a single CrossFit workout more than that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah the form that a lot of people use in crossfit is terrifying
That it is...

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow if dude is consuming multiple kilos of protein daily, I would for sure say he has an issue. I be he is HUGE though!

He's got an itty bitty waist (I'm guessing 28 inches maybe 30) then looks like a monster up to his jaw line.

He's pounding chicken breasts and tubs of protein all day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  So I joined a gym that's costing me something like $16/month instead.  

Isn't a single CrossFit workout more than that?

Right now I working on a groupon. $30 for 2 months of 3 times a week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm a believer in the x-fit philosophy, but I have to laugh at how it is usually executed. I've seen some very "interesting" shit since I got into it about six months ago.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

What exercises did you do? I'm looking @ Cross Fit myself....

AFTER the warm up and learning how to do a number of different excersizes and movements CORRECTLY, we did a work out called  Tabata(sp?)
20 minutes

as many air squats as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sec. X 8
as many sit-ups as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sec. X 8
as many push ups as you can do in 20 sec, then rest for 10 sex X8
then roll over and want to die

Tabata is not an actual exercise... it is a WAY of exercising. Same basic premise as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

You can do Tabata/HIIT on any exercise. Its basis is multiple high intensity/slow intensity segments one after another for about 20-30 minutes. It is controversial, because everyone talks about EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) which is a theory that certain exercises will put you in a state AFTER exercise to continue to burn calories to a greater extent, regardless of the actual calories burned both during the exercise itself and the amount of calories burned in the post-workout activity. Something along the lines as 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' kind of thing. EPOC is controversial, because it's thought of in some ways almost 'religiously' and yet, there have been a couple pretty good studies out which have shown it to be a false assumption.

Regardless, Tabata/HIIT is a good exercise system for pounding out a hard workout in a short amount of time.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Walk... Every day... 50 yds more each week. After being able to walk 2 miles at a basic pace, increase your pace a bit and try to cut your time down by 10 seconds each week. When you can walk a 20 min mile (3mph) increase the length of your walk to 3 miles and repeat. When you are walking 3 miles a day at 3MPH for a week... THEN think about getting in a gym.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
...my arse is KICKED.

Welcome to Crossfit...

Once you get through your onramp, ask your coaches for a supplemental strength program (if the box does not have one).   Go in 30-45 minutes before your class and complete your SWOD (Strength Workout of the Day).  You should be doing something similar to "Starting Strength" (3x5 of Squat, Press, Bench, with 5x3 of Power Clean and 5rm of Deadlift, and then some heavy Front Squats, OHS, Thrusters, Snatch, ect).  Make sure you learn the proper form before going heavy!  1-2 times every 3 day cycle is enough for SWOD, otherwise 2-3 times in a 5 day cycle.  

Again, I will say it... Form, Form, FORM!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top