Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 10:06:59 AM EDT
Anyone own a newer one?

Been a good car? I'm seriously considering one.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
LoL

Popular ride.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd drive one. I think Ford has done some great stuff styling wise in the last few years. Back in the day I looked at the Taurus and thought no way. Now I think they look great.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one as a rental car a few months back.  I didn't like the visibility.  I'm 6'-0" and it felt like I was sitting on the floor and trying to look over the dash and out the side windows was difficult.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I really wanted a Ford Taurus til they changed the styling after 2007.  I would still get a 2007 Taurus, but the new ones have shitty visability.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh, considering the alternatives, no way I'd shell out $40k for a Ford Taurus
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh. It's not really that great, better cars out there for less.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a 2013 rental, basic model. Dont know where people are saying it has poor visibility. I really liked the car except the shit brown color. For a basic V6 it would move. I can only imagine how much faster the SHO would be.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Drive one and find out how you like it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]

do yourself a big favor and buy something that has a long long track record of good service

they spend about 50% of what they need to developing those "special cars".  so they generally suck for durability

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife has a 2010 SEL. We considered an SHO, but the whole brand new turbo, Ford's 6.0 history, and a friend that is a mechanic turned pencil pusher for a warranty company convinced us to go with the SEL. That said, a close friend of mine has a new one and it's nice. At 20k a year the new turbo design started in 2010 is coming up on 60k, a common point for shit to go wrong.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

a car is a massive investment, you dont buy one based on a test drive

that's just the icing on the cake

haven't you ever known anyone who bought a car that was a massive POS, in the shop every week?

low volume production cars are always bad juju
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you drive it and like it, buy it!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I drove one some in the 90's.

It was a boat that hauled ass pretty good in a straight line.  

It was a hell of a sleeper though.  The new one gives too many clues.  IIRC, the old one just had a pressed bumper label.  The rest of the body was stock.    Mom's taxi with an attitude.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
this
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did and I do.

I wanted some input from owners.

What are some alternatives with similar performance in the same price range?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The only SHO I would own....

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife got a 2012 Limited AWD, which is basically the SHO without all the go-fast bits. That said, the normally aspirated V-6 has got pretty good grunt, and the gear ratios are well-chosen. I have not found myself wishing we'd gotten a SHO, especially given the marked price difference.
It's a big car with somewhat limited visibility. The back-up camera is definitely necessary, and works well. I was initially put off by the enclosed feeling, but it doesn't bother me now. It's a car you snuggle down into, unlike my pickup truck.  
East TN has a lot of curvy roads with constantly changing elevations, and the Taurus handles them well. It ain't a Lotus Seven, but it can dance very well for a fat girl. The brakes are great.  
The trunk can fit at least 6 dead hookers, or a dozen and a half if you stack 'em. The back seat fits actual adults comfortably.
The Active Contour seats are effin' awesome for road trips. In fact, the whole car is a great road trip car. Electronics, climate control, etc., all well-done. Road trip Knoxville to Seattle? Let's go!

Downsides:
Sometimes the transmission isn't sure which gear it wants. My wife doesn't even notice it, but I'm picky that way. I tend to drive it in manual mode around town as a result.
Because of the high beltline, visibility is occasionally sketchy, like when you're making a right turn onto a descending grade road.
The spare tire is a spacesaver. I'd rather have a fullsize tire on an AWD car. On the SHO, it's even worse: you get a can of FixAFlat, IIRC.

So far, it's been a good car with no problems. But, it's still fairly new, with less than 20K on the clock, so I can't give you a long term report.
But, yeah, I'd buy it again.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My wife got a 2012 Limited AWD, which is basically the SHO without all the go-fast bits. That said, the normally aspirated V-6 has got pretty good grunt, and the gear ratios are well-chosen. I have not found myself wishing we'd gotten a SHO, especially given the marked price difference.
It's a big car with somewhat limited visibility. The back-up camera is definitely necessary, and works well. I was initially put off by the enclosed feeling, but it doesn't bother me now. It's a car you snuggle down into, unlike my pickup truck.  
East TN has a lot of curvy roads with constantly changing elevations, and the Taurus handles them well. It ain't a Lotus Seven, but it can dance very well for a fat girl. The brakes are great.  
The trunk can fit at least 6 dead hookers, or a dozen and a half if you stack 'em. The back seat fits actual adults comfortably.
The Active Contour seats are effin' awesome for road trips. In fact, the whole car is a great road trip car. Electronics, climate control, etc., all well-done. Road trip Knoxville to Seattle? Let's go!

Downsides:
Sometimes the transmission isn't sure which gear it wants. My wife doesn't even notice it, but I'm picky that way. I tend to

drive it in manual mode around town as a result.
Because of the high beltline, visibility is occasionally sketchy, like when you're making a right turn onto a descending grade road.
The spare tire is a spacesaver. I'd rather have a fullsize tire on an AWD car. On the SHO, it's even worse: you get a can of FixAFlat, IIRC.

So far, it's been a good car with no problems. But, it's still fairly new, with less than 20K on the clock, so I can't give you a long term report.
But, yeah, I'd buy again.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Actual first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Good friend has a 2012 SHO with all the options.  He's got 70k on the clock now and so far it's been flawless.  Yeah, it's a bit on the heavy side, but as a previous poster noted "She dances real good for a fat girl".  My cars include an '04 M3 and an 09 JCW Mini, and I wouldn't take any bets on the BMW against the SHO in a straight line just going by the seat of the pants feel of the acceleration.  And as far as fit and finish, comfort on a road trip (especially including California's crumbling roads), ability to haul four adults and a lot of luggage, the Ford holds it's own.  And as far as road noise goes, there's no comparison.  Yeah, the lack of a spare is a bummer, but I've lived with it on my other cars with no huge hassles.  It still wouldn't be my choice, but then I put nimbleness pretty high on my list.

Pat
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
So what else is out there, in the same price range that has similar power and performance; with the same kind of room?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#22]
My mother had a 94 SHO when I was 16. It was fast and could easily go over 120.

Now that I am older and wiser, I know I will never let a teenage child drive a fast car. It's a miracle I never wrecked it or got a speeding ticket.

It was some good times!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Is a car an appliance, or an extension of yourself?

if it is the later, Do It!

You will not be disappointed.  The engine has proved itself and unlike the original SHO, the 3.5L twinforce is in the F-150, Explorer, and Flex.  So parts are not rare.  The only kink were the original ones had issues with spark plugs, and #6 injector, that would have been replaced under warranty with updated versions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So what else is out there, in the same price range that has similar power and performance; with the same kind of room?

A twin-turbo direct injected 365hp AWD 4400lb behemoth that runs a 13.7 sec quarter mile for $40k?  Chrysler 300 SRT8 would be about the closest out there, but it's not AWD.

ETA:  Used G8 or upcoming 2014 Chevy SS, but they are a little smaller and not AWD
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had my eye on them for the last few years. It would be either black or silver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top