Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2002 4:08:42 PM EDT
Well, I'm not a wine "expert" by any means.

But I love Merlots, and have been drinking both Fetzer Eagle Peak, and Forest Glenn recently. Nothing too fancy, but both very good wines IMO.

Anyway, it seems to me that the Fetzer seems to "keep" better. See, I'm the only wine drinker in the house. So a bottle may last me a few days (though admitidly, sometimes just an evening [:)]). The Forest Glenn after a few days (or more sometimes) doesn't taste as good, as the Fetzer does after the same time period. Almost like it's going sour.

Is this normal between different wines? What may the difference be? The cork maybe?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
But I love Merlots, and have been drinking both Fetzer Eagle Peak, and Forest Glenn recently. Nothing too fancy, but both very good wines IMO.

...... Is this normal between different wines? What may the difference be? The cork maybe?

Just curious.
View Quote

That's it!!! www.AR15.com has offically covered every modern day male topic that [i]isn't[/i] related to AR15s.

[i]sigh[/i]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The wine goes bad because it oxidizes. Shouldn't have anythingto do with the brand. Store up right to minimize contactwith air. Should keep 5-7 days max. You can also get a kit that removes the air and sort of 'vacum seals' the bottles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]

That's it!!! www.AR15.com has offically covered every modern day male topic that [i]isn't[/i] related to AR15s.

[i]sigh[/i]

Sgtar15
View Quote

How goes the dildo search???
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[i]sigh[/i]

Sgtar15
View Quote

View Quote

Went with the MidnightRider model. 1/2hp w/ various attachments....$78.50 out the door.[;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not sure why one wine would sour faster than the other. Different levels of acids and tannins that bind with oxygen better? If it bothers you, a wine specialty shop should have little cannisters of an inert gas, with a straw sprayer like a WD-40 can.

Once you've had enough wine, spray the inert gas into the bottle and cork it.  The heavier-than-air gas displaces the air and preserves the wine very well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
being from two different wineries, the wines will go through two different production processes. i can't say with certainty what the differences will be but it could certainly explain your tastings.

one wine may have more preservatives..or may be more or less exposed to oxygen during the winemaking process. those two things seem to be the most likely. there isn't much you can do about it.

a good solution might be to finish the bottle within 72hrs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[i]sigh[/i]

Sgtar15
View Quote

View Quote

Went with the MidnightRider model. 1/2hp w/ various attachments....$78.50 out the door.[;)]

Sgtar15
View Quote

Is that the PRE or POST BAN Model?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Real men drink Cabernet. And I mean Cabernet that's not mixed with Merlot so as to appeal to womenz.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The best wines I've had are all Cabernets, but they are way too expensive:
Opus One '98
BV Georges de Latour '97
Silver Oak '96
Beringer Reserve '97
Mondavi Reserve '91 and '97

Merlot is good wine as well, but it has a little less structure.  I think the wines that you are drinking (Forest Glen and Fetzer) don't spend a lot of time aging in oak.  That may contribute to their early demise.  You'll just have to drink it faster!

Of course, some really old Bordeaux (like turn of the century and early 20th) sometimes has to be consumed in MINUTES before it goes bad.

For Merlot drinkers, I highly recommend Washington Merlots.  Try Chateau Ste Michelle, Columbia Crest, Snoqualmie, Hedges, Canoe Ridge, L'Ecole 41, and Waterbrook just to name a few.  And, if like Washington Merlot, you have got to try Washington Syrah.  This is the next craze to hit the wine scene, like Merlot was a few years ago..........

Scott Collins
Newcastle, WA
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard that white wines can be frozen for upto a few months and keep well.
I'm not sure about red wines.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I do drink merlot with spaghetti sometimes.

My normal drinking habits are cognac and guinness. Not at the same time of course.
:)
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WINE is pretty cool. You can use it to play star craft.
View Quote

your gonna confuse the non-geeks
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WINE is pretty cool. You can use it to play star craft.
View Quote

Herr Colonel, that went over my head. Please explain it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
told ya so!
WINE is a windows emulator for linux operating system(s).
Basically it will let you run windows programs (the noted game starcraft) on a pc that don't run windows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top