Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
use it or lose it
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's even cheaper if you build your own...

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
New-ish Cadillac being worked on in an apartment complex parking lot???
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a member who miraculously survived a severe crushing trauma when his jack and stands collapsed
Story gives me chills when he tells it on the anniversary , every time
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Poor guy.  Hope he recovers.

I don't like getting under my truck for any reason, and I think I've successfully avoided doing so even once.  All the work I do is on the sides or front or back, or accessible from the top somehow.

And even then, jackstands plus the jack itself plus a tire if possible under that corner as a fallback option.

Your post is a good reminder, OP; physics wins every time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Father in law died liked that.
He had jack stands, He was working on his 80's model Chevy truck that  had one of those tall camper shells on it.
He had it open and was working on the front breaks. The wind caught the door and pushed the truck off the jack stands,truck landed on top of him and crushed him.
Now  I will not go under a car if it is not sitting on all 4 tires.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Never understood doing that.  Having a ton or two of metal lifed off the ground ready to crush my ass always made me take as many precautions as possible.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Darwin, etc, etc
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://myweb.cableone.net/judynms/brakes1.jpg

that picture hurts to look at

I use jackstands, AND I leave the hydraulic jack where I jacked it up, but I leave most of the tension on the jackstands.  that way, I have more points of safety to at least let me get the hell out from under.

I hate working under cars that are jacked up.........I'll do it, but I don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone heard or read about Jack Stands failing?  Im not talking about falling off the stands, Im talking about the stands failing or crushing or breaking or...

I just spent 4 hours under a 5500 pound truck today on stands. Every time I crossed under the frame rails I got a "watch yourself" feeling...like bad stuff
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I once had a cultivator set down on my foot when I loosened the set screw on a shank.  I was 3 miles from the house and my phone was in the cab.

Very scary and painful.  I had to work my foot back and forth until I was able to slide it out from under the duckfoot.  Black and blue and hobbling for 2

weeks.  Much more careful after that.  Don't take a chance under a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]
fuck that i like to live my life on the edge... jk jack stands are a must
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have a member who miraculously survived a severe crushing trauma when his jack and stands collapsed
Story gives me chills when he tells it on the anniversary , every time

I usually am good, but am double sure after reading that man's post.

I conduct an earthquake assessment, leave jack in place, use jack stands, use rims/tires under frame rails and lower the vehicle to them. May use a block of wood if I need a bit more height above tire. Shake the fuck out of the truck/car and then finally decide to get under. Head/chest is always out from crush zones if I can manage it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You can never skimp on jack stands.  Or jacks.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I still use concrete blocks with wood on top. I think jack stands are too tippy.  If i can i also leave the jack under and also maybe throw a wheel under.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
jack stands, cribbing, and usually a tire or two when I go under a car
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
ramps
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Jack stands? Who needs 'em?  
I do. I won't even take a wheel off my car without setting a jack stand.
CJ
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, we have a member here who's vehicle came off a jack and landed on his chest. He posted about it not too long ago.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#22]
First emergency brake on and wheels chocked firmly.  Then Jack, jack stands, wheel that's off goes under a frame point, then check and make sure vehicle still chocked firmly.  

Then I'm still cautious.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, quality floor jack and jack stands used together are the only way I'm getting under a car.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#24]
That is why you go get a railroad cross tie and cut it up into 2' sections.
Jack up, insert piece(s) of cross tie, and let down.
nothing mechanical to fail.
redneck as all hell, but safer than relying on a mechanical device
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew someone was going to post that.

Needs more gas cans and welding to be safe.

<---huge fan of jack stands.  I've also had something fall off the stands while the tire was still on(asphalt sunk).  I'm more careful now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Father in law died liked that.
He had jack stands, He was working on his 80's model Chevy truck that  had one of those tall camper shells on it.
He had it open and was working on the front breaks. The wind caught the door and pushed the truck off the jack stands,truck landed on top of him and crushed him.
Now  I will not go under a car if it is not sitting on all 4 tires.

Sorry to hear that.  

I like doing oil changes on my truck simply because its high enough for me to get under without jacking it up.  Can put a shorty 5 gallon bucket under it with it sitting on level ground
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I was under a 2002 Liberty for 45 minutes installing the front driveshaft with just the jack, a jack failure away from death......suicidal. Jackstands within 5 feet of the car. Gives the first responders something to laugh about.

Expediency, lazy, stupid or don't give a fuck or all of the above.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll stack some 6x6 cribbing under the frame to sub for my head in the event of a issue with the jack stands.  It is sometimes a pain, but if you plan it out they are usually out of the way.   Makes me feel better, even if they are really just more dominos

Watching the NASCAR races, I have to wonder if they ever have issues.  They seem to heavy use stands
stands.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I installed my own lift kit on my Jeep. Not much creepier than being under an axel with no wheels on it. I must have checked and adjusted the stands about 10 times to make sure they were centered with no side-load before I started working.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard or read about Jack Stands failing?  Im not talking about falling off the stands, Im talking about the stands failing or crushing or breaking or...

I just spent 4 hours under a 5500 pound truck today on stands. Every time I crossed under the frame rails I got a "watch yourself" feeling...like bad stuff

I have one that was failing. Luckily I wasnt under the truck at the time and caught it with the jack before the stand collapsed.
Craftsman 2 ton stand.

Now I use several of the bigass Harbor Freight ones, leave the jack under the vehicle and if I pull the wheels off, I slide them under as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
My dad lifted a car off his dad when a bottle jack failed.

We've got some bad luck with that stuff.  I try to be careful.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#32]
99% of my work is done on a proper lift.  We have a 15,000lb truck lift and a 10,000lb low profile lift.

Anything done at my house is done with a Jack and jack stands.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Was out walking the dogs Friday night and went past a house where the guy had all four tires of his lifted pickup off and was repainting them (rattle can) and yep, the 4000 pound truck was sitting on four cinder blocks standing on end.  Thought about mentioning this to Goober and his buddy, but figured it'd be better to just clean the gene pool.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
what about forklifts?

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew someone was going to post that.

Needs more gas cans and welding to be safe.

<---huge fan of jack stands.  I've also had something fall off the stands while the tire was still on(asphalt sunk).  I'm more careful now.

Most of those gas cans are empty.  A few have a small amount of gas, or gas/oil mix, etc. in them.  I need to take a pic of my welding attire next time I'm out there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I still use concrete blocks with wood on top. I think jack stands are too tippy.  If i can i also leave the jack under and also maybe throw a wheel under.

Yeah, that makes it better... the only result is your axle won't get scratched up as much when the block collapses.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/laytonwhip/temp%20pics/TruckProppedUp.jpg

Jack stands? Who needs 'em?  

I do. I won't even take a wheel off my car without setting a jack stand.

CJ

I see NO problem here, He's got TWO jack stands, if the gas tank he's welding on blows it SHOULD move him out from under the truck before it falls
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It shouldn't if you block the wheels and use the e-brake.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Was out walking the dogs Friday night and went past a house where the guy had all four tires of his lifted pickup off and was repainting them (rattle can) and yep, the 4000 pound truck was sitting on four cinder blocks standing on end.  Thought about mentioning this to Goober and his buddy, but figured it'd be better to just clean the gene pool.

I've done that too.  You can see that 4x4 post from earlier in this pic also, it's in the center of the pic holding up the front of the car.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Part of my job is quality and safety at work. As a result I'm both paranoid and hyper cautious. Whenever I have to take a wheel off my truck I'm scared as hell to get any body part under anything that might squash me. Jack stands and jack both. When I have to sharpen my bushhog it's up on jack stands with the hydraulics supporting slightly AND concrete blocks. That sucker would squeeze me like a grape.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done that too.  You can see that 4x4 post from earlier in this pic also, it's in the center of the pic holding up the front of the car.

http://myweb.cableone.net/judynms/stands1.jpg

No way I would ever consider crawling under there.  Besides the 4x4, the bricks are not loaded in the intended direction!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Even with jack good stands, REDUNDENCY!

Two is one, one is none...
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Looks like standard Middle Eastern ingenuity
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I did it wrong.  I paid $3.50 at an auction.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I prefer to just work on vehicles that have enough of a lift to not need to jack them up.

Rebuilt a transfer case a couple weeks ago, hardest part was lifting it so high back into place. Sitting cross legged under a truck is much more comfortable also.

T
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#48]
There's a guy on here who lived to tell the tale...
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That is why you go get a railroad cross tie and cut it up into 2' sections.
Jack up, insert piece(s) of cross tie, and let down.
nothing mechanical to fail.
redneck as all hell, but safer than relying on a mechanical device

The only way I use to get under a boat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I may just be a dumb amateur, but before I get under a car it looks like a damn jackstand forrest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top