Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2002 2:14:29 PM EDT
Just got this email. Man, I'm lucky - I'm gonna be rich!
----------------------

FROM THE DESK OF: DR.Richard Gowon
                 LAGOS - NIGERIA.

Dear FRIEND,

REQUEST FOR URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP. - STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL.

It is with my profound dignity that I write you this very important and highly confidential letter. First, I must solicit your strictest
confidentiality in this transaction. This is by
virtue of its nature  as being utterly CONFIDENTIAL and "TOP SECRET". Though I know that a  transaction of this magnitude will make anyone apprehensive and worried,considering the fact that we have not met each other before, but I am assuring you that all will be well
at the end of the  day.

We have decided to contact you by email due to
the urgency of this transaction,as we have been reliably informed that it will take at least a minimum of two to three weeks for a normal post to reach you, so we decided it is best using the e-mail.

However, let me start by introducing myself properly to you. I am Dr.Richard Gowon, a Director General in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and I presently head a seven man tenders board in charge of Contract Awards and Payment Approvals. I  came to know of you in my search for a reliable and reputable person to handle a very confidential business transaction which involves the  transfer of a  huge sum of money to a foreign account requiring maximum CONFIDENCE.

I and my colleagues are Top Officials of the Federal Government Contract Review and Award Panel. Our duties include Evaluation, Vetting, Approval for payment of Contract jobs done for the N.N.P.C e.t.c. In order to commence this business we solicit for your assistance to enable us transfer into your Account the said funds.

The source of this funds is as follows: In the first  quarter of 2001 this committee was mandated to review and award  contracts to the tune of US$400 million US dollars to a group of five firms for the supply, construction and installation of Oil Pipe lines in Warri and Port
Harcourt. During this process my colleagues and I decided and agreed  among ourselves to deliberately over-inflate the total contract sum
from US$400 million to US$428 million United States dollars with the main intention of sharing the remaining sum of US$28 miilion amongst ourselves.

The Federal Government of Nigeria has since last year approved the sum of US$428 million for us as the contract sum, and the sum of  US$400 million has also been paid to the foreign
companies concerned as contract entitlements for the various contracts done, but since
the companies are entiltled to US$400 million
dollars only, we are  now left with US$28 million dollars balance in the account which we
intend to disburse amongst ourselves, but by virtue of our positions as civil servants and members of this panel, we cannot do this by
ourselves, as we are prohibited by the Code of
Conduct Bureau (Civil Service Laws) from opening and/or operating foreign  accounts in our  names while still in Government service, making it impossible for us to acquire the money in our names right now. I have
therefore, been  delegated as a matter of trust and urgency by my colleagues in the
panel to look for an overseas partner into whose account we would transfer the sum of US$28 million. Hence we are writing you this
letter.

My Colleagues and I have agreed that if you or your company can act as the beneficiary of this funds on our behalf, you or your Company will retain 20% of the total amount (US$28 million),
while 60% will be for us (OFFICIALS) and the remaining 20% will be used in  offsetting all debts/expenses and Taxes incurred both local and
foreign in the cause of this transfer. Needless to say, the trust reposed on you at this juncture is enormous. In return we demand your complete honesty and trust. You must however NOTE that this transaction will be strictly based on the following terms and
conditions as we have stated below;

a) Our conviction of your transparent honesty and diligence
b) That you would treat this transaction with utmost secrecy and confidentiality
c) That you will not ask for more share or try to sit on the funds once it is under your custody, or use any form of blackmail.
(d) That upon receipt of the funds you will release the funds as instructed by us after you have removed your share of 20% from the total amount.

Please, note that this transaction is 100% legal and risk free and we hope to conclude this transaction seven bank working days from the date of receipt of the necessary requirements from you. We are looking forward to doing business with you and  solicit your Total Confidentiality in this transaction.
There is no cause for alarm. I give you my word that you are completely safe in doing business with us. Transactions like this have been successfully carried out in the  past by most Government executives. Here in my country there is great economic and political disarray and thus looting and corruption is rampant and the order of the day, thus explaining why you might have heard stories of how money is been taken out of Nigeria, this is because everyone is making desperate attempts to secure his or her
future, so that when we retire from active service we do not languish in poverty.

I will explain more to you when I have  heard from you. Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above e-mail address. I will bring you into the complete picture of this pending business transaction when I have heard from you and also receive your confidential telephone and fax numbers to enable me fax to you all necessary information you need to know about our pending business
transaction. I will also send to you my private
telephone and fax numbers where you can always reach me.

Your urgent response will be highly appreciated to enable us transfer the funds under this quarter of the year 2002.

Thank you and God Bless.

Yours faithfully,
Dr.Richard Gowon

N.B. PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THIS BUSINESS
TRANSACTION IS 100% LEGAL AND COMPLETELY FREE FROM DRUG MONEY OR MONEY LAUNDERING.

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Man you are so lucky I never get ant E-mail from AFRICA. You are going to be rich !!
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
haha

I posted on this a month ago, stupid idiots

hell, up here a company advertised that they could get you a job making 20 bucks an hour, until you look at the telephone code....

I hope no one ever falls for this
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

hell, up here a company advertised that they could get you a job making 20 bucks an hour,
View Quote

hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
This lovely little email scam has been going around for several years/they need "earnest money "deposited to an account that they sweep...Very detailed expose on this several months ago in Newsweek/or Times?Contact him and see how much they "need" to see if you are "able" to help them...
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Please tell me that no one has fallen for this crap.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/checks21_20020921.htm[/url]

Sad but true.  And oh so funny for rhe rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations Bwiese!  Nigeria is where the money is.  Anyone want a buy in?

You're getting rooked Bwiese!  My Nigerian contact says only 10% for taxes and expenditures.  Yours is 20%.  Tell em' 10% or no dice.

But your total is 28mil and mine only 25½mil so maybe their holding out on me!

Telephone: 234 1775 5791
American Internet Fax: 18015167986
Alternate email address: [email protected]

Urgent Request for Transfer Assistance.

The reason for this letter is that your help is being sought in order to
facilitate and successfully complete a profitable venture that is of immense
benefit to you, and us the originators within a stipulated timeframe.
I would like to firstly send to you the best wishes of good health and success
in your pursuits particularly through my proposal as contained in this letter.

Before going into details of my proposal to you, I
must first implore you to treat with the utmost
confidentiality, as this is required for its success.

My colleagues and I are senior officials of the
Federal Government of Nigeria's Contracts Review Panel (CRP) who are
interested in diverting some funds that are presently floating in the accounts
of the CentralBank of Nigeria.
In order to commence this transaction, we solicit for your assistance to
enable us transfer into your nominated account the said floating funds. We are
determined to conclude the transfer before the end of this quarter of 2002.
The source of the funds are as follows:

During the last military regime in Nigeria,
government officials set up companies and awarded
themselves contracts that were grossly over-invoiced in various ministries and
parastatals. The present civilian government set up the Contract Review Panel,
which has the mandate to use the instruments of payments made available to it
by the decree setting up the panel, to review these contracts and if necessary
pay those who are being Owed outstanding amounts. My colleagues and I have
identified quite a Huge sum of these funds, which are presently floating in
the Central  Bank  Of Nigeria ready for disbursement and would like to divert
some of it for our own purposes.

However, by virtue of our positions as civil servants and members of this
panel, we cannot acquire these funds in our names or in the names of companies
that are based in Nigeria. I have therefore been mandated, as a matter of
trust by my colleagues in the panel, to look for a reliable Overseas partner
into whose
account we can transfer the sum of U.S.$25,500,000.00 (Twenty five million,
five hundred thousand U.S. Dollars). That is why I am writing you this letter.

We have agreed to share the money to be transferred into your account, if you
agree with our propositionas follows;
(i)20% to the account owner (you)(ii)70% for us (the panel officials).
(iii) 10% to be used in settling all expenses (by both you and us ) incidental
to the actualization of this project. We wish to invest our share of the
proceeds of this project in foreign  stock markets and other business till we
are ready and able to have access to them without raising any eyebrows here at
home.

Please note that  this transaction is 100% safe and risk-free. We intend to
effect the  transfer within fourteen (14) banking days from the date of
receipt of the following information through  the fax number stated above:  
Your Company's name, address,telephone and fax numbers.
The above information will enable us write letters of claim and job
description respectively. This way, we will use your company's name to apply
for the payment
and backdate the award of the contract to
your company. We are looking forward to doing this
transaction with you and we solicit for your utmost confidentiality in this
transaction.

Please acknowledge the receipt of this letter using the above Tel and fax
numbers only, The fax is an America internet fax number, it was acquired for
the purpose of confidentiality. You can also use my alternate email address
[[email protected]].

I will bring you into a more detailed picture of this transaction when I hear
from you.

Best regards,
Felix Ademola

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check it: [url]www.haxial.com/fraud/mikeaba.html[/url]

It's the email correspondence between the scammers and a guy who decided to play with them a bit.
View Quote

Too funny.  I'm only ½ way thru but I already saw a .jpg of a trunk of money and a passport scan of Capt. James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.

Think I'll send them a response in a language other than English.

Wie Sie mögen mich jetzt?

[img]http://www.haxial.com/fraud/passport.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check it: [url]www.haxial.com/fraud/mikeaba.html[/url]

It's the email correspondence between the scammers and a guy who decided to play with them a bit.
View Quote

Jarhead,

Last week I posted about two similar incidents that happened to me. I found this link to be quite funny.Its a shame though that these scumbags have had some success with ripping people off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Nigeria has to be the freakin' scam capitol of the world!!! UPS said something like 60-70% of the packages going there are involved in a fraud of some type.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locoak/checks21_20020921.htm[/url]

Sad but true.  And oh so funny for rhe rest of us.
View Quote

What a shame.  Using other people's settlement money for her own greed.  I still can't believe she had access to 2.1 mil of the firm's money.

No business deserves to be taken like that.  But I wish it would happen to HCI, VPC and DNC.  Of course the dummys would probably donate $$ to them in record numbers once they heard about it.

Just like the muslim community who are trying to raise the bail money for the terror six in NY.  Uh, I don't think they'll be granted bail anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Sheeple fall for this trick all of the time. I get one or two of those emails every month.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]
These Nigerian scam artists are so dang bold that I have been getting these at work, at an obvious law enforcement e-mail address. AT least they cut out the middleman, but I hate having to write reports just because I checked my e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Darn!!! I feel cheated. I've never gotten one, and I so wanted to be rich [:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Darn!!! I feel cheated. I've never gotten one, and I so wanted to be rich [:D]
View Quote

[rolling in the $$$$]
Have patience fellow Ar15.com'r.  We all can't be blessed at the same time.[/rolling in the $$$$]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I responded to a couple just for the hell of it but they never bothered to reply.

Now I just forward these f*ckwits copies of Klez attachments.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
We used to get these solicitations by airmail from Nigeria. We kept them all because the stamps were quite elaborate and colorful, and a few of the letters were handwritten in rather beautiful script. We always thought they were pretty humorous, actually.

About 4-5 years ago, we stopped getting them by mail, and started getting them by fax. Then, in the last 2 years or so, they have been coming solely by email. We have them all, kept in a file. We contacted the FBI about them, as there was an article in the local paper about the Bureau "cracking down" on these scams, but so far, they have yet to show up to claim our mountain of evidence.

Some day, when I'm really bored, I'm goning to go through them all and chart the "value" of the scam versus time, to see how it compares to the DJIA, SP500 or other financial standards. Be interesting to see if they track at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top