Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/17/2013 8:04:54 AM EDT

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-02-21/pets/29761614_1_bigger-brains-mammals-highly-social-species

For the first time, scientists have charted the evolutionary history of the brain across different groups of mammals over 60 million years and identified huge variations in how their brains have changed.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Dags FTW

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My cat is smarter than half of GD.

That is not saying much.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I find it hard to believe that an animal that will do whatever you want, whenever you want it done is smarter than an animal who says, "Feed me," and, "Go fuck yourself."
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thus proving that dogs are better than cats in every way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but cats don't really give a shit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
"Hey, look at that big pile of shit and dead stuff; let's go roll around in it!!!"

I like 'em both but I'm not buying this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Dog:  "Oh Boy!  Master threw the ball and I can go bring it back!!!"

Cat:  "Well, if you wanted the ball, why did you throw it away in the first place?"
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I dunno...you never see a bunch of cats lashed together pulling some dude through the arctic wastes and freezing their asses off. Usually you see a cat napping by the fire or something and being fed and pampered with nearly no work involved for kitty. Hell, now that I think about it I think cats may be the smartest mother fuckers on the planet
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#14]
What breeds are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#15]
This just in: Scientists have determined that water is wet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not saying much.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]

The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/humor/otherhumor/dog_cat_diary.htm

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Dogs are servants, cats are companions.

If the servant isn't useful, it gets replaced and starves.
If the companion gets sick of your shit, the companion moves on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-02-21/pets/29761614_1_bigger-brains-mammals-highly-social-species

For the first time, scientists have charted the evolutionary history of the brain across different groups of mammals over 60 million years and identified huge variations in how their brains have changed.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Cats are worthless eaters. When the shtf ill be feeding cat meat to my dog.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I dunno...you never see a bunch of cats lashed together pulling some dude through the arctic wastes and freezing their asses off. Usually you see a cat napping by the fire or something and being fed and pampered with nearly no work involved for kitty. Hell, now that I think about it I think cats may be the smartest mother fuckers on the planet

Dogs have a work ethic.  Cats . . . not so much.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My dog is smarter than 90% of GD.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dog is smarter than 90% of GD.

My parrot can replace 99% of the posters on GD.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Cats are one of the few species capable of going feral...living in the total absence of human presence/influence.  The same is seen in hogs, they are fully capable of fending for themselves without people helping.  Dogs, not so much....one way or another they require some sort of human presence in order to survive, whether it be your living room couch or knocking over the garbage can in the alley behind your house to eat your leftovers.  They've simply lost all useful wild instinct.  To me, that makes cats, or any species capable of going feral, more intelligent.  More intelligent than half of GD, myself included
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cats are one of the few species capable of going feral...living in the total absence of human presence/influence.  The same is seen in hogs, they are fully capable of fending for themselves without people helping.  Dogs, not so much....one way or another they require some sort of human presence in order to survive, whether it be your living room couch or knocking over the garbage can in the alley behind your house to eat your leftovers.  They've simply lost all useful wild instinct.  To me, that makes cats, or any species capable of going feral, more intelligent.  More intelligent than half of GD, myself included

There are plenty of feral dogs out there that survive without human help, just as feral cats do.

And feral cats rummage in garbage for food, just as feral dogs do.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't think you know the things you think you do.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Never gets old.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
As my  intelligent dog explained to me at length just the other day.

She had the time to do that because she was waiting patiently for the cat to finish drinking water out of her dish.  A dumb dog would have tried to hurry the cat up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Never gets old.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Feral is more or less defined as living outside any human influence.  Not saying that cats don't rummage through your trash, just that these cats wouldn't be considered feral.  Think of it like this....take a young, healthy cat and drop it off in the middle of somewhere 1,000 miles from any human.  It would be fine for years barring any predation which can't be controlled for.  A dog wouldn't last more than a few weeks, 2-3 months at the outside.  Just don't have the skills necessary.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe that an animal that will do whatever you want, whenever you want it done is smarter than an animal who says, "Feed me," and, "Go fuck yourself."

The dog wants to be challenged, accomplish tasks, and be part of the team. That is due to its intelligence.

Cats want to be fed and left alone. Much like an insect, or grass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Feral is more or less defined as living outside any human influence.  Not saying that cats don't rummage through your trash, just that these cats wouldn't be considered feral.  Think of it like this....take a young, healthy cat and drop it off in the middle of somewhere 1,000 miles from any human.  It would be fine for years barring any predation which can't be controlled for.  A dog wouldn't last more than a few weeks, 2-3 months at the outside.  Just don't have the skills necessary.

And you can cite a study that's been done to support this claim?

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dog wants to be challenged, accomplish tasks, and be part of the team. That is due to its intelligence.

Cats want to be fed and left alone. Much like an insect, or grass.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#38]
My Daisy knew this already.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#40]
There's a really great documentary about dogs on netflix. They have incredible examples of just how intelligent a dog can be and how much they can learn. They also explore how dogs have learned to take ques from our body language and even where our eyes are pointed. Not even apes can do that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Cat's brains are more similar to humans than a dog's brain is
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can cite a study that's been done to support this claim?

Such a study would be impossible these days in any sort of reasonable environment considering the human population.  I know there's info like 'this' out there on the web and I saw a show on the Discovery Channel a few years back before it became another reality TV channel.  Domesticated animals going feral is rare.  The terms feral cat, feral dog, feral whatever, like 'assault weapon', are often misused by the media.  I was just throwing in my $.02, not calling your dog dumb.  I do have 4 year college degrees in Biology and Zoology, with studies focusing in comparative animal behavior.  Not a PhD. or anything, just a wise ass
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Now, be fair, that isn't really hard to do. I have door knobs smarter than half of GD.

Having said that. Cats are smarter.

You'll never see cats drag someones lazy ass across the tundra

herd sheep

or cattle

Or do anyone of the million and one things dogs and people do to earn their keep. They eat, sleep and thats about it.

They do what they want, and nothing else really. And no one has a problem with it, or expects them to do anything more, other than maybe do some hunting.

So tell me again how dogs are smarter....

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, be fair, that isn't really hard to do. I have door knobs smarter than half of GD.

herd sheep
or cattle

Or do anyone of the million and one things dogs and people do to earn their keep. They eat, sleep and thats about it.
They do what they want, and nothing else really. And no one has a problem with it, or expects them to do anything more, other than maybe do some hunting.

So dogs have the ability and drive to do great things and that makes them dumb. OK.

This dog was shot in the neck while apprehending a guy who stabbed someone, then shot at them as they were trying to drive to the hospital.

Your cat shits and sleeps just like every other animal. Congrats.

ETA: For those wondering, it appears the badass dog is recovering.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I love my dog, well all dogs, as much as the next guy.  I just have a hard time believing that they are smarter than cats.  I could be wrong though, but cats, in my eyes, are natures perfect survivor.  Cats have MUCH more in common with ther "big brothers" than dogs do, which is why they survive in the wild so well.  You could take just about any house cat, and throw it outside and it will be just fine, assuming it has the coat to keep in warm in the winter and doesn't get eaten by a predator.

I was watching Discovory or Natgeo(or one of those channels) and they were discussing the modern theory of how wolves and coyotes became domesticated style dogs, and they said it had pretty much everything to do with ancient humans settling together, thus accumulating garbage.  The "big dogs" would find eating this to be much easier than hunting prey, so they would kind of roam around the garbage, and thus through evolution became lighter, more agile, and their brains even shrunk due to not having to outsmart prey.  

With as many different breeds of dogs out there today, however, I think you can't just say that all dogs are smarter than all cats or vice versa, as each breed was bred to do different things(and some were bred to be smart.)  But I think if you took a broad sample, the nature of your common feral or house cat would measure up higher than your average feral or pet dog.  And once you looked at big cats vs big dogs(ie, lions or panthers vs coyotes or wolves) I think the cats of those species would show MUCH more intelligence.  I could be wrong though, just my .02.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't care if cats or dogs are smarter.

I care about the fact that the smallest dog will try to defend its master, while a cat will just sit by and look.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

herd sheep
or cattle

So dogs have the ability and drive to do great things and that makes them dumb. OK.

This dog was shot in the neck while apprehending a guy who stabbed someone, then shot at them as they were trying to drive to the hospital.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/554880_436078773135881_1950503238_n.jpg

Your cat shits and sleeps just like every other animal. Congrats.

I will give you that dogs are heroic.      A cat would have got the fuck out of dodge if someone was trying to shoot/stab it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Never gets old.

It's the splayed toes on the back feet......kills me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top