Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2013 12:46:28 PM EDT
I just got back home from a shopping trip with my wife.   The last stop was at Walmart to pick up some sodas and dog food.

We were at the checkout behind a woman who had two overflowing shopping carts.  She had a triple columned list of items written on a page from a spiral notebook, and was telling the clerk that everything on her list was being sold at a lower price at a competitor's grocery store.   The woman was stating outlandishly low prices for every single item (example - 100 ounce Tide detergent for 99 cents, 24 pack of Coke for $1.29) and ended up paying about $75 for what was easily $400 worth of groceries.  It was a very arduous process, as every item had to be scanned and manually overridden with the price that was claimed by this "customer".

When it was our turn to check out, I asked the clerk about this price match policy.  She said that none of the cashiers are allowed to question the customer, and the customer does not have to produce any evidence that the item is actually on sale for a lower price elsewhere.

I was appalled.   Honest folks pay for items as priced, or at best produce an advertisement copy that supports a lower price match.   Dishonest scammers, however, can simply make stuff up and Walmart accepts it.  

I am certain that the FSA is already well versed in this scam, but I had never seen it before.   It is shameful that people game this system, and equally shameful that Walmart enables them to do so.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait til they get their next ammo shipment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like another FSA stunt.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Write a letter to corporate?

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'll be trying this. I don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This isn't how it works at most Walmarts.  Cashiers are allowed to question what the customer is claiming and a sup can and does check against legit ads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet info.   I can't wait to pick up some .223 at 2003 prices ... When it's back in stock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When it was our turn to check out, I asked the clerk about this price match policy.  She said that none of the cashiers are allowed to question the customer, and the customer does not have to produce any evidence that the item is actually on sale for a lower price elsewhere.

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years, and if the pricing was what we that was way off, we would require an ad.  No way I'm selling tide for .99 or a case of pop for 1.29.  I'd have gotten fired if I price overrode that much of a difference.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand customers are supposed to have legit ads, receipts, etc. I work retail (not Walmart) and this is how we do it. I'll have retards try to quote me low prices without any proof too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Uhmmm. In a capitalist country more power to them if Walmart is that stupid.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh hell yeah! I'm going to get a pressure washer for $1!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Excuse me, Mr. Cashier, but that Colt LE 6940 is on sale for $299 down the street.  Ring that up please, kthanksIloveyoubyebye.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
That's just great.  As if the lines at Walmart don't move slow enough already.  Now I get to stand behind some fat FSA fuck and listen to them regale the cashier with tales of practically free stuff on sale at Bob's Wonder Barn of Magically Cheap Goods.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Excuse me, Mr. Cashier, but that Colt LE 6940 is on sale for $299 down the street.  Ring that up please, kthanksIloveyoubyebye.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Uhmmmm Derp what the OP posted has nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with fraud.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm guessing said cashier knew the customer. Employees steel more in terms of money than all customers combined.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's just great.  As if the lines at Walmart don't move slow enough already.  Now I get to stand behind some fat FSA fuck and listen to them regale the cashier with tales of practically free stuff on sale at Bob's Wonder Barn of Magically Cheap Goods.

Exactly what I endured this afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#17]
AAFES(military PX's ect..) Have price match also..but they require proof..and generally online ads need not apply...
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The mere fact I have morals and ethics is exactly why I will never do what that cunt did.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe on 2 for 1 deal.  The place down the street from me as the for $189 a piece.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years, and if the pricing was what we that was way off, we would require an ad.  No way I'm selling tide for .99 or a case of pop for 1.29.  I'd have gotten fired if I price overrode that much of a difference.  

Exactly. Cashiers are told not to argue with a customer over something trivial like a .10 cent difference on a price, but if the difference is significant they're supposed to have an ad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This isn't how it works at most Walmarts.  Cashiers are allowed to question what the customer is claiming and a sup can and does check against legit ads.

Yep. They aren't supposed to match without the ad now. My other household person does legit price matching and always takes an ad with her.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhmmmm Derp what the OP posted has nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with fraud.  

I wouldn't call it fraud unless you are referring to the cashier. If I as a consumer have to make something up that with make me better off in the long run, I don't see any reason not to

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
That's insane.
It's not like that around here. They require an ad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#24]
My sister would really upset you. She turns $600+ carts into $100 almost weekly.. She takes couponing to the max. No scam involved, if that's how Walmart does it, that's on Walmart.

ETA

My sister does have all the coupons, and ads, however.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm guessing said cashier knew the customer. Employees steel more in terms of money than all customers combined.

This.  They probably split the swag later on.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I worked at Walmart as a cashier for 8 years....  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it at all, but...   how is that even possible?  If you're able to stick out working at Walmart for 8 years shouldn't you be like the store manager?  Or maybe you just prefered that position?

If anything, you deserve props for that.  95% of the population would have only done it for a month then jumped ship for the FSA.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
FTFSA
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call it fraud unless you are referring to the cashier. If I as a consumer have to make something up that with make me better off in the long run, I don't see any reason not to

If what you meant to say is that you would lie to get a better price, then yes, that's the definition of fraud.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh hell yeah! I'm going to get a pressure washer for $1!

Why spend a buck, I understand at one point they were letting them out the door for free. Price match that bitches
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Our Ad Match Guarantee

We’re committed to providing low prices every day. On everything. So if you find a lower advertised price on an identical product, tell us and we’ll match it. Right at the register.
We gladly match the price in the following types of ads:*

Buy one, get one free ads with a specified price
       Example: Buy one for $2.49, get one free (BOGO)
   Competitors' ads that feature a specific item for a specified price
   Preferred shopping card prices for specific items that are in a printed ad
   For fresh produce and meat items when the price is offered in the same unit type (lb. for lb.; each for each)

*The following are guidelines and limitations:

We will match any local competitor's advertised price.
   We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad.
   Items purchased must be identical to the ad (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)

We do not match the price in the following types of competitor ads:

Items that require a separate purchase to get the ad price
       example: "Buy [item A] to get [item B] for $C"
   Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get free product
       example: "Buy both [items A & B] to get [item C] for free"
   Items that require a purchase to get a competitors' gift card
       example: "Buy [item A] to get a $B gift card
   Buy one, get one free (BOGO) ads with no actual price given
   Going out of business or closeout prices
   Percentage off
       example: "All mascara, 40% off"
   Competitors' private label price promotions

We do not honor:

Ads when the actual price for items cannot be determined
   Internet pricing
   Misprinted ad prices of other retailers
   "Going out of business" sales or "closeout" prices

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Call the store management and tell them what went down. I bet the cashier won't have a job after they hear about it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How was all that shit overided by the cashier?  Thought you needed a csm to do that?  I too worked as a cashier once at wally world.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That may be your local store manager's doing, but at the Wal-Mart near my mother's house back in the U.S., customers have to show an advertised price, such as from ads mailed to them or in newspapers.  (That Wal-Mart also has no, zero, none, automated self-checkouts, because they know they'll get robbed blind by the FSA if they try it.  It's a shitty area.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, in fairness, if Walmart is telling their cashiers to take the price without evidence and without question then they're basically asking to get robbed. I don't think it's right, and it's obviously dishonest, but you can't rightly say that they aren't asking for it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My sister would really upset you. She turns $600+ carts into $100 almost weekly.. She takes couponing to the max. No scam involved, if that's how Walmart does it, that's on Walmart.

ETA

Your sister steals shopping carts and sells them?

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Radio Shack had  Ninetendo DS a few years back for $75 but they were sold out..I took the ad to Wal-mart and they honored it (normally for $125) but they had to call the manager in and there was some jawing that had to be done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Your sister steals shopping carts and sells them?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gFJo1ZyTduk/To9OYece2TI/AAAAAAAABUE/bIRKMls9ttE/s400/trailer_park_boys.jpg

No.

We steal babies and sell them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sweet info.   I can't wait to pick up some .223 at 2003 prices ... When it's back in stock.

I know there must be some 10-15 year old "Shotgun news" rags stashed somewhere in my house!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. They aren't supposed to match without the ad now. My other household person does legit price matching and always takes an ad with her.

My wife also price matches, and our Wal-Mart will have the ads from local competitors already at the checkout stand for verification.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Being able to buy shit at other stores for less than Wal-Mart sounds like a perfect reason to never go in Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
maybe a relative?
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Agreed, I saw a brick of 22lr for $.87 at the local Walgreens.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Call the store management and tell them what went down. I bet the cashier won't have a job after they hear about it.

I worked my way through college at a grocery store, and know what y'all are talking about.  I saw a co-worker get fired for that very thing.

If the cashier and customer were in cahoots, they are seasoned professionals.   The cashier was an articulate young black woman, about 18 years old.   She did not act evasive or nervous when I chatted with her about this, and even carried the conversation to include some type of supervisor who came by.  The supervisor smiled knowingly when we spoke about the dubious prices that were being claimed, and said that she too sees that all the time.   The cashier maintained eye contact with me while we talked, and was very open in describing the store's policy.

The customer in her late 40s, white, and rough looking.   A man with her (husband, perhaps) was about 50, clad in a camo cap and shirt and had a waist length gray ponytail.  While it is possible that they know the cashier, I would NOT place them together, and did not get a sense that they had interacted before.   I could be wrong, though.

*edit - NOT

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I endured this afternoon.

Unless the customer was stopped by AP for committing fraud.

-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This I thought...I've done it a few times and I've always needed the ad from the other store.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Every Time I see price matching I see them look up an ad. Every register has ads from all local groceries and stores.

Sounds like a employee scam, I would report to manager. You can do it online if you remember the lane number.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like an uninformed cashier.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
SNIP

SNIP

I was just talking about this last night at dinner.  My finacee's mother works at a certain department store which I won't name to avoid making matters worse.  Their security policies are likewise an license to steal.

1)  If someone steals something in plain sight, nobody other than the ONE authorized security guy is allowed to even as much as confront a patron hands off...and the security guy only works select days and hours so often isn't there at all.  Meaning when he's gone, people can walk in, take stuff, walk out and nobody will do ANYTHING about it even if you do it right in front of their face.

2)  The security guy is further limited in that he is only allowed to confront a shopper on stolen items that he keeps in sight from point out lifting item to point of leaving store.  Meaning if a patron goes in an elevator or ducks a corner with said item and security loses visual for even a couple seconds, game over, shoplifter wins.

3)  The sales clerks are REQUIRED to process refunds even without a receipt or any proof that the item was purchased there, or anywhere for that matter.  My fiancee's mother has people who come in and grab something off the shelf and then walk right up to the register and ask for a "refund".  She is forbidden by policy to turn them down and is not even allowed to say she saw them walk in and steal said item.

I get mad just hearing about it.  

So if you ever wondered why a nice dress shirt is $80 at a department store...there you go.  That's fucking why.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Being able to buy shit at other stores for less than Wal-Mart sounds like a perfect reason to never go in Wal-Mart.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sounds like an uninformed cashier.

You'd think, but read my post above.  There are some wild policies with respect to loss prevention at certain stores.  To hear it at Walmart shocks me but I can't say that I haven't heard of similar nonsense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top