Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/10/2013 7:08:09 PM EDT
My dog started acting weird friday afternoon. We thought nothing of it. He had to go out sometime around 1AM saturday so we thought maybe he just ate some dead critter that disagreed with his stomach.

Saturday at lunch he vomited. Today he had a very mild instance of diarrhea. No big deal, though by now obviously we were worried.

Then about a half-hour ago he was asleep on the couch and had a seizure - first we've ever seen - that lasted about a minute. We called 2 emergency vet numbers (small town, no emergency clinics) and a friend in another town who is a vet.

Friend said it might not have been a true seizure (no urine, etc) and local vet says it could be anything; bring him by in morning.

Needless to say I'll be there in the morning with our dog - if he makes it - - but in the meantime....what could have happened?

He's a rescue, 40# spaniel, roughly 7 years old, very healthy, very active, no disorders, no history of anything except a bout of diet-induced pancreatitis 2 years ago that cleared up with a change of diet. No recent evidence of fights, bites, etc, etc.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
anti-freeze layin around?  rat/mouse/weed poisen laying around?  ... wife says same, could be anything.  Wife says coulld be coincedence w/ vomiting & seizure meaning it could be seperate things.  She says bloodwork would be best, quickly.  Wife is vet tech.  Wife good thing. good luck cause I don't know nothin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
He must have ate somthing? I know my dog ate an old bag of Oscar Meyer Bologna and it was Moldy as hell...apparently mold acts like alcohol for dogs. she was puking and sick as hell then the seizures started...it was scary but only lasted a day. it might be another medical condition tho. he will pull through man
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
anti-freeze layin around?  rat/mouse/weed poisen laying around?  ... wife says same, could be anything.  Wife says coulld be coincedence w/ vomiting & seizure meaning it could be seperate things.  She says bloodwork would be best, quickly.  Wife is vet tech.  Wife good thing. good luck cause I don't know nothin.

Doubtful. One neighbor has about four million cats and they never disappear or die.

There are other dogs in the neighborhood. I don't *think* anyone has tried to poison our dog, or any dog around here, but there's no way to know.

Vet will definitely be doing bloodwork in the morning.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of sounds like the pup ingested something or maybe a bug. Is the pup drinking water? Is the pup up on shots?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
she was puking and sick as hell then the seizures started...it was scary but only lasted a day................ he will pull through man

This is what we are hoping.

I hate that I didn't take it more seriously when he was moping around friday. I should have taken that as a clue and had him checked out. I've been sick, baby's been sick, wife is getting sick, family have been visiting......poor guy was just on the back burner.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My dog had siezure once, he was kinda convulsing, for lack of a better way to explain it. I thought he was dieing and I held him in my arms untill it stopped. I took him to the vet and said I thought he had a stroke. The vet said sometimes dogs just re-boot thier brain like that. WTF? He had siezures maybe twice more in the next 6 months then he was fine. Then he died maybe 3 years later of what they said was kidney failure.
The fact yours vomitted though, I'm guessing is something else.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kind of sounds like the pup ingested something or maybe a bug. Is the pup drinking water? Is the pup up on shots?

Right now he won't touch water or food. He's late on his shots, but he's had them before.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully it turns out to be nothing serious!!  Let us all know what you find out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no idea what is causing this but I can sympathize with you. Times like this are when you really wish they could talk. Best wishes to you and hope your dog comes through this okay. Our dogs are part of the family. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now he won't touch water or food. He's late on his shots, but he's had them before.

Is he drooling from the mouth? or acting over heated?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like he has a blockage.  One of our dogs ate a dish rag a few years ago and she went through alot of the same symptoms.  Take it in first thing Monday and get it checked out.

Edit:  It cost $900 to fix that one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

After the seizure he vomited up a bunch of drool/foam but it *seems* that he's done with that. He's not drooling or panting at all; he's actually sitting here resting normally now.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason I asked about shots is there has been a distemper outbreak here and I heard of another in a state south of MO. We had a shelter lose all of its dogs to distemper. You didn't mention discharge or coughing so I didn't want to alarm you and the odds of it being something like that are slim. But w/o shots distemper is always a possibility. Getting to the vet is the best idea. I hope your pup is okay.

If the pup hasn't had water in a while dehydration is a problem with puking and diarrhea.

ETA - does sound like a blockage, which is pretty common, again a vet is of course the best thing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of our dogs ate a dish rag

Wow.

I can see him doing that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the pup hasn't had water in a while dehydration is a problem with puking and diarrhea.

He won't touch water. We put his bowl up to his face and rubbed cool water on his nose. He didn't even try to drink.

ETA - does sound like a blockage, which is pretty common, again a vet is of course the best thing

I assume the vet can x-ray the dog and check for that?

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

After the seizure he vomited up a bunch of drool/foam but it *seems* that he's done with that. He's not drooling or panting at all; he's actually sitting here resting normally now.

thats good. try and get him to drink water (he will most likely drink when hes ready)...it will help.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He won't touch water. We put his bowl up to his face and rubbed cool water on his nose. He didn't even try to drink.

ETA - does sound like a blockage, which is pretty common, again a vet is of course the best thing

I assume the vet can x-ray the dog and check for that?

Don't force anything. If he needs water and you're at the vet they will SubQ some for him and turn him into the hunch back of Notre Dame.

Ya, they will xray or use something else to look for a blockage. Although sometimes blockages can be hard to see depending on what it is. I saw a few vets miss a soft rubber squeaky toy in  dog. In their defense it was in a super hard to see location and position and the person that did finally see it was an MD that specialized in some sort of imagery. (having well educated volunteers can pay off, lol)

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
they will feed him a fluid that shows up on xray to see if there is a blockage. My dog had twisted intestines, he seemed very uncomfortable and wouldn't lay down and he was salivating a lot.

with mine they did exploratory surgery to find the problem. 3 days in the vet and surgery was $500, 4 hours in the emergency room with no xrays and only a IV for fluid $1000
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Blockage or possibly a twisted stomach or intestine. Either will mess up their chemistry and a seizure is a possible symptom. Lethargy is a common symptom. A twisted gut requires surgery, but it's not major.

I hope everything goes well at the vet! Let us know the diagnosis..
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
they will feed him a fluid that shows up on xray to see if there is a blockage. My dog had twisted intestines, he seemed very uncomfortable and wouldn't lay down and he was salivating a lot.

It could be bloat, but I don't think bloat is super common in spaniels and he said the pup is resting. Bloat, like you said, is usually a aver agitated dog. I almost lost a pup to it, doc said if we didn't come in when we did she would have died in hours.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Snake bite?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, folks, anything I need to know before going to bed?

We have somewhat vomit-proofed the couch using trash bags under blankets (he normally sleeps on the bed but I'm afraid he'd get sick then hurt himself getting down right now) and he's laying peacefully. He has water available if he wants it.

Anything else I need to do other than go to sleep so I can get up early and go to the vet?
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Snake bite?

Highly doubtful. Today was the first day it's been warm enough for that to be a factor, and it's only borderline warm enough.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snake bite?

Highly doubtful. Today was the first day it's been warm enough for that to be a factor, and it's only borderline warm enough.

MS?

Warm enough for who? Dogs find all kinds of hiding(hibernating) spots. It's possible he got into a place that there could have been a snake and just because the snake ain't slithering across your driveway don't mean squat.

Get him to the vet first thing in the AM. Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Hope pup heals up fast.  
It's awful when they aren't feeling good.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Antifreeze.

Doc's starting an IV, but it ain't looking good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn, best of luck to your little guy.

Hopefully the outcome will be a good one. Then go find the source of that crap, one of your neighbors could be pissed at the guy with all of the cats and trying to get rid of them and your dog find the anti-freeze.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Good luck with the little guy.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Antifreeze.

Awwww, shit. I'm so sorry. Happy thoughts for you and the pupster.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Antifreeze.

That sucks.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Antifreeze.

Sorry to hear that.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Antifreeze.

Aww fuck!!!!! Did not want to hear that.  Hoping like hell he pulls through!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Sending out prayers.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Is it possible another one of your neighbors tried to poison some of the four million cats and your dog got into it?  Or do you know the source?  If someone maliciously laid out anti-freeze and my dog got into it I would go ballistic to say the least.  I would be calling the cops if that were the case.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Antifreeze.

That absolutely blows.

I hope he pulls through.

I think I'd be letting someone know that it would be preferable to let neighbors know when they're putting out poison, if it was indeed left by neighbors.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Prayers for the pup.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry OP. Does this look like something that happened accidentally, or do you think somebody fed him some?
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Hope he makes it OP.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Grain alcohol is a common remedy. That's probably what the vet is doing. Hopefully it's not too late.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Antifreeze-Danger-to-Pets.aspx
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#41]
so sorry.

I hope pup pulls through.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry to hear. I hope it wasn't intentional.

I had a dog get  into my trioxane. It has formaldehide in it and it damaged the dog's brain. She had to be put down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is it possible another one of your neighbors tried to poison some of the four million cats and your dog got into it?  Or do you know the source?  If someone maliciously laid out anti-freeze and my dog got into it I would go ballistic to say the least.  I would be calling the cops if that were the case.

It's possible. No way to prove it, though, unless a neighbor came over and fessed up...

We're leaving now to go to the vet and see if he's made any progress, and so the wife/kid can see him. I'm expecting the worst.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's possible. No way to prove it, though, unless a neighbor came over and fessed up...

We're leaving now to go to the vet and see if he's made any progress, and so the wife/kid can see him. I'm expecting the worst.

Good luck. I would look around the neighborhood and or places you dog might of gotten in to, and check for a possible source.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My black lab got into antifreeze two years ago on a Friday afternoon. Threw up all Friday night and Saturday morning, got him to the vet by noon. 3 days in the vet with IVs and medicine, and he was good to go again. Best of luck with your dog.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#46]
So sorry to hear that
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#47]
My first GSD died of what the vet described as Glycol poisoning. Can't prove who did it, but we have a good idea. He started vomiting and had a problem with balance. Symptoms went away after a day or so and we thought he had just gotten a hold of something that didn't agree with him. Then the same symptoms returned. He lost all motivation to even get up. Took him to the vet. He remained overnight for observation. Next day the wife and kids went to check up on him thinking they could bring him home. Vet informed us that he passed during the night. From what we were told, there is a very small window after Glycol ingestion, where the vet can actually help. After that, it's too late. Basically, you have to be there at the moment the animal ingests the stuff and immediately get them medical attention.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm sorry OP, I hope everything turns out ok.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Prayers sent.

Eric  B)
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Best wishes
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top