User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2002 4:32:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I say Nuclear.

..and not just one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it depends on the effectivenes of the bio weapons used.  If casualties are low, I'd expect a non nuke response; but if Saddam has something that causes massive Israeli casualties, then yes, Baghdad becoming a huge hole in the ground would not surprise me.

I pray it won't come to that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you say "rolling barrage'?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as they give us enough warning to retreat our guys out of the danger zone, assuming we have troops on the ground, I say more power to em. They have just as much right to protect themselves as any other country. Besides who is America to knock using nuclear weapons in a war. After all, we are the only country to ever use them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Does Israel have nuclear equipped Tomahawks or something?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Isreal has proven to be a state that can both fight back and restrain.. the question here is not IF they will but what will happen around the world AFTER they do..

Countrys will say that Isreal responded with to much force.. yada.. yada.. yada..

but bet they wont be targeted again for a long time..
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
And I'll bet a cold drink that China will use that attention diversion as a chance to pounce on Tiawan.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Retaliation is the only thing Sharon is good at.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And I'll bet a cold drink that China will use that attention diversion as a chance to pounce on Tiawan.
View Quote

This is also what I've been thinking, but I think we'd let Taiwan defend themselves.  They didn't like the presence of our warships after the last conflict.  Both sides view it as a domestic dispute.

Jarhead, your last statement couldn't be more on the money.  I hope Iraq is flattened even more by an Israeli response.  

I also hope Syria is wiped clean of any inhabitants.  That's another nation of terrorists.  More so than Iran and I'm surprised they weren't named by Bush in the Axis of Evil speech.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Kinda like the French!
View Quote

Wrong.  You only need to give the French a dirty look to make them surrender.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, if Saddam did use WMDs against Israel we would probably do what we did in the last war. Retaliate ourselves on Israels behalf. Use of WMDs by Iraq on anyone in that hemisphere would be regarded as a act of war against the US, and the policy of assured destruction still stands as our policy regarding nuclear weapons.

A couple B2's would quickly visit and drop a few B61's set on Low.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Perhaps this is what ArmdLbrl is saying, but I think it would be wise for GW to adopt the same attitude and policy that JFK held during the Cuban Missile Crisis: Any attack launched from Iraq against Israel will be considered a full-scale attack against the United States, which will generate a retaliation in kind.

Then, and this is VERY important, BE READY TO DO IT FOR REAL!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Perhaps this is what ArmdLbrl is saying, but I think it would be wise for GW to adopt the same attitude and policy that JFK held during the Cuban Missile Crisis: Any attack launched from Iraq against Israel will be considered a full-scale attack against the United States, which will generate a retaliation in kind.

Then, and this is VERY important, BE READY TO DO IT FOR REAL!
View Quote

That is exactly what I ment. As far as I know this was the position George Sr. had during the Gulf War I. No one has recinded it-but no one has repeated it either. It isn't much of a streatch even without it being repeated because, ostensibly, all the countries in the region except Iran and Syria are our allies-even if they don't act like it very often.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bombing of Marine barracks, Beirut: No response
View Quote

As I recall this was the event that caused the US to strike Libya, killing Gaddafi's infant daughter among destroying lots of Libyan aircraft. Gaddafi never pulled anything against the US again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Jarhead_22

Just a quick corrective note.

Attempted assassination of former President Bush by Iraqi agents: No response

Uh, I seem to remember, that we launched a Cruise Missle attack agaist an Iraqi Intel HQ and a Nuclear Weapons production facility and that one of the Cruise's missed it's target and hit the Al Rashid hotel. In responce to this item.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#20]
let's see....
Israel nukes Iraq....

AR15?   check.
45 30 rounders, and 1 C-Mag?   check.
10,000 rounds of military green-tips?   check.
MRE'S?  check.
kevlar helmet and OTV armor with SAPI plates?    check.
most of life savings rolled up in quarters and singles?   check.
NON-pick-up 4x4?   check.

hold on to your underwear, boys and girls, this one's gonna be for real, and unlike your platter-handed opinions, this one's gonna end up in our back-yards! (again!)
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

As I recall this was the event that caused the US to strike Libya, killing Gaddafi's infant daughter among destroying lots of Libyan aircraft. Gaddafi never pulled anything against the US again.
View Quote

Actually, it was soon after muslims bombed a disco club in Germany killing several U.S. Soldiers.

We haven't heard from Khadafi for a while.  Does he still have terrorist training camps in Libya?  U.S. Marines may have to march on Tripoli again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've got medium range ballistic missiles, bombs, and even a SLBM system (sub-launched ballistic missiles). The estimate is that they have something like 200-400 warheads in their strategic arsenal.

You need a deterrent like that when a handful of thermonuclear bombs or a lot of chemical weapons can wipe out your entire country.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Actually, it was soon after muslims bombed a disco club in Germany killing several U.S. Soldiers.
View Quote

There was so many Islamic terrorist attacks in the 1980s that it's hard to keep track of them all . Reagan spent far too much time bankrupting the Soviet Union when we had far less sophisiticated enemies to deal with.
We haven't heard from Khadafi for a while.  Does he still have terrorist training camps in Libya?  U.S. Marines may have to march on Tripoli again.
View Quote

We've been hearing from him on the diplomatic front lately, he's wanting to be friends with the US. He publicly stated that the "US has the right to retaliate" (thanks for the approval oh dear Revolutionary Leader) and has been speaking about oil lately. It sounds as though his oilfields need fixing/upgrading. He's even been talking about paying the families of the people his terrorists killed in the Lockerbie bombing.

As soon as Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, Gaddafi was shoved off the map, and has remained there since. I don't think we'll have any more trouble from him again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I gotta disagree with people saying that if you are a capable foe or ruthless in the way you fight that terrorists will back down. Look at Chechnya, chechen muslims started some shit and Russia kicked the hell out of them. Russia played just as dirty as they could, took no prisoners, napalmed loads of people, threw whole villages into concentration camps, you name it. But Chechen muslims fought even dirtier, bombed apt complexes, tortured/murdered civilians and POWs.

We didn't do much of anything when we were attacked before and they still hit us, Russia and Israel fight back fairly hard when attacked and they still get hit too.  Which leads me to think that muslim extremists don't care whether you are weak or strong, or whether you will fight back or not. They are so into their religion of killing 'infidels' that they just don't give a damn either way and would rather be martyrs. The only real solution other than them to stop being terrorist assholes is large scale WMD retaliation and that would make for one ugly scene.

But on the other hand, Ghadaffi did stfu nicely after we hit him, but i think he's the exception.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kinda like the French!
View Quote

Wrong.  You only need to give the French a dirty look to make them surrender.
View Quote

Hee hee.... reminds me of a couple French jokes...

The great thing about collecting French WWII firearms is that they have never been fired, and have only been dropped once.

Do you know why the French planted trees along the Champs-Elysees? So the Germans could march in the shade.

[devil]

Donning kevlar now.... [bobs and weaves]

Hahahahahahahaha....
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They've got medium range ballistic missiles, bombs, and even a SLBM system (sub-launched ballistic missiles). The estimate is that they have something like 200-400 warheads in their strategic arsenal.

You need a deterrent like that when a handful of thermonuclear bombs or a lot of chemical weapons can wipe out your entire country.
View Quote

Pretty admirable arsenal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top