Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2013 11:39:36 AM EDT
I started watching this show recently and I'm enjoying it. One thing I've learned from the show is that "aspiring rapper" is apparently the most dangerous profession in the country. Also, quite a few suspects over the last couple seasons were arrested wearing Obama shirts
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw my local grocery store on it. Twice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I started watching this show recently and I'm enjoying it. One thing I've learned from the show is that "aspiring rapper" is apparently the most dangerous profession in the country. Also, quite a few suspects over the last couple seasons were arrested wearing Obama shirts

Its also weird that most are filmed in Cincy, I go there quite often and have never had any issues, then again its not 3am in the bad neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It's one of the few shows I try to watch anymore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
All the shooters are named Cheeseburger.

Interesting thing watching yesterday.
A guy in a bar fight got shot (with a .38 I think).
He didn't know he got shot and ran around inside the bar complex for several minutes before dying in the elevator.
A real world testament to the ineffectiveness of a single hand gun round, poorly placed, to immediately stop someone hopped up on andrenaline and drugged with alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've watched it several times.  I'm actually kinda surprised it's still on the air, as it paints a very accurate picture of the typical homicide in the US.... and that isn't very PC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's one of the few shows I try to watch anymore.

This. . .

And if you, as a parent, can't produce a picture taken within the past 4 years where your child isn't throwing a gang sign, holding a stack of 20 dollar bills, or wearing a grill. . . . . you're part of the problem.

It's very difficult to make many of the "victims" on the show out to be actual victims.

Oh yea, and spoiler alert. If the suspect has dreads and is named Cornelius. . . he's usually the one that did it.

Love the show! too bad the first 48 missing persons isn't of the same caliber.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I love it, they follow around detectives in Louisville.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to.
I'm not sure why I don't watch it much anymore.
Maybe 'cause it's all re-runs. That is one show that does not lend itself to continued enjoyment therough re-runs.
When you know who done it and all...
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I love watching that show....Saw a guy named "Dookie Dook" on there  

Things I have noticed....

*98% of them are gang banger or drug deals and robbery

*The victim is USUALLY a participant SOMEHOW in the crimes listed above

*The narrator makes the victim sound like a Church going saint when in almost ALL cases
lived a questionable and typical lifestyle that these crimes  are "normal" in

Example "Dookie was a father of 3 and was an up & coming rapper"

Truth, "Dookie" was 18, 3 kids he didn't take care of by 3 diff. baby momma. Didn't work and had to sell dope for a paycheck

Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Detective: " What did you see?"

Witness: " Well, I didn't SEE anything."  " I heard 'pow' 'pow' 'pow', so I ran.".

This is they way ALL of the interviews go...at first.

One of the best shows on TV.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Love the show.  Put it on when you want to fall asleep too, the narrators voice knocks me right out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
For the most part the "victims" are just casualties of the hazards of their occupation.  Watched one episode yesterday with a 14 year old girl killed on her birthday when 2 groups of rival street punks decided to start shooting in every direction.  I saw one a while back with this woman who just up and shot some guy in a wheel chair who was her "boyfriend".  When the cops finally found her and interviewed her, they asked her when was the last time she saw the victim, she said something like "oh last Saturday, right before I killed him".
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
It makes me realize that if some hip-hop guy ever makes a really memorable hit song about keeping your mouth shut and never, ever talking to detectives, we may never close another criminal case in the US again.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate it.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate it.
Sorry.

It's okay, I'll forgive you
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Used to what it a ton before I cut cable.

It appears from that show- no homicides would ever get solved if murderers would just STFU and get a lawyer.  They get confessions for most of their cases.

Don't know how realistic that is...

Lots of drug dealers killing drug dealers.  Not much loss there.

Loved Mason and Mullins from Memphis.  I have a buddy from Memphis.  He says it's unreal.

Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I watch it because it reminds me how fortunate I am to be in the position I'm in, with the up bringing I had...that's never taken for granted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes it's one of my favorites.  It's amazing how much the detectives rely on luck and gut instinct to solve homicides.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#20]
SPOILER ALERT

If the face isn't blurred out, they are guilty.  Good show though.  Watching the detectives and the interrogators are good too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Rarely ever do they base much of a case on physical evidence.  If it wasn't for suspects cracking and confessing they wouldn't have much success.  Saw one show were the suspect was pretty hardened.  He kept his mouth shut, he walked.  Kind of annoyed that the show ends with just an arrest.  Sometimes they blurb about the person being convicted and sentenced, but usually ends with "Charged with murder, presumed innocent until proven guilty".  

It almost makes it look like being a homicide detective is pretty boring and routine.  Always the same cliche band of thugs and no matter what the age of any suspect they run across, they ALWAYS can find a rap sheet with a mug shot.  

Another thing I find interesting is that rarely do they ever give a crap about the murder weapon or even finding it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Makes me depressed, stopped watching
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've watched it several times.  I'm actually kinda surprised it's still on the air, as it paints a very accurate picture of the typical homicide in the US.... and that isn't very PC.

in the 1st 8.5 seaons there were 4 white murderers and maybe 5-8 hispanic ones.

ALL OF THE REST OF THEM IN ALL 8.5 SEAONS WERE BLACK.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#24]
GF is addicted, she DVRs every episode.
She is astonished at the trivial things that people kill each other over.
She is also astonished that this show is even on TV at all.
To say that most of the situations shown there are not politically correct understates the situation.
And the stupidity of the suspects that talk to the police is mind blowing.
They should memorize the phrase "I didn't do anything wrong and I want a lawyer now."
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rarely ever do they base much of a case on physical evidence.  If it wasn't for suspects cracking and confessing they wouldn't have much success.  Saw one show were the suspect was pretty hardened.  He kept his mouth shut, he walked.  Kind of annoyed that the show ends with just an arrest.  Sometimes they blurb about the person being convicted and sentenced, but usually ends with "Charged with murder, presumed innocent until proven guilty".  

It almost makes it look like being a homicide detective is pretty boring and routine.  Always the same cliche band of thugs and no matter what the age of any suspect they run across, they ALWAYS can find a rap sheet with a mug shot.  

Another thing I find interesting is that rarely do they ever give a crap about the murder weapon or even finding it.

There is a spin-off now called "After The First 48" that basically picks up where the other show left off, showing the trial and whatever happened afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been watching for the last 7 years, and now After The First. 48, It's amazing the lack of remorse. Arrogance is just amazing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I used to.
Maybe 'cause it's all re-runs. That is one show that does not lend itself to continued enjoyment therough re-runs.

because its the same show every episode.

black guy with a record kills someone. usually black but not always.

thats every single episode.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to.

Yep, and talking themselves into jail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to.

Yep, and talking themselves into jail.

yeah I love the cops. here is a group of average IQ guys talking to a bunch of double digit idiocracy rejects with this line "look tell us what happened it will help you out"

AND THE MORONS BELIEVE THEM!
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#31]
its just like watching the birmingham news, minus the old fat washed up newscaster
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#32]
After watching numerous episodes of that, I sometimes think I must be the only guy in America that doesn't have a street name.

After watching numerous episodes of "Deadly Women", I thank the lord I had the good sense to not get married.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I love it but I cancelled cable and shortly after they took them off netflix.

Can still catch an old episode on AETV.com
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Love the show, one of my fav episodes is 2 gay guys killed their drug dealer and buried him in a plastic bin 6 feet down in their basement, perfect crime until they got into a domestic dispute, cops came and one of them (who's dad was a doctor IIRC) ratted himself and his special buddy out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Of all the episodes I've seen I think I only saw one where the person actually shut up and asked for a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#36]
When it first started it reminded me too much of work.  I haven't felt nostalgic enough since I retired to watch it.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its also weird that most are filmed in Cincy, I go there quite often and have never had any issues, then again its not 3am in the bad neighborhoods.

Getting murdered, even in the worst cities, is pretty hard to do unless you are in a gang or slinging dope.

Probably 80-90% of the armed robberies/shootings/murders (not domestic related) i've worked involved dope or gang drama.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Of all the episodes I've seen I think I only saw one where the person actually shut up and asked for a lawyer.

You know it as well as I do, the vast majority of murders would'nt be solved without a confession.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#39]
We watch it religiously... but even with new episodes the show really grinds after a while. Mostly because after you've seen about ten episodes you start to develop a sixth sense and you can guess the outcome of the case in the first ten minutes of the show.

There really have only been like two episodes that I've seen that I would consider to be real nail-biter whodunnits... everything else is an endless stream of black on black drug related homicides or hispanic on hispanic botched robberies that become homicides. It's almost to the point that I want to play "The First 48 Drinking Game"... white victim: drink half of beverage. White perp: drink entire beverage... you'd drink a glass of beer a season playing that way.

And sadly only very rarely do I feel for the victim as most of the time they are as deep in the game as the guy who killed them. But every once in a while you get an episode that pisses me off. One that I clearly remember was an older hispanic small business owner closed up his shop and went to a stop and rob to drink some beers with his friends and got killed in a stupid stickup for like four dollars. Another was another older hispanic guy who tried to stop a stick up of a convenience store and got shot and killed in the process. But the one that really pissed me off was the episode with the husband and wife tattoo parlor where the street urchins got very tackily inked then came back and robbed the place and killed the guy's wife in the process. Whoever edited that episode really made you feel for the husband and his kids while simultaneously wanting the trash that killed his wife to swing by the neck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We watch it religiously... but even with new episodes the show really grinds after a while. Mostly because after you've seen about ten episodes you start to develop a sixth sense and you can guess the outcome of the case in the first ten minutes of the show.

There really have only been like two episodes that I've seen that I would consider to be real nail-biter whodunnits... everything else is an endless stream of black on black drug related homicides or hispanic on hispanic botched robberies that become homicides. It's almost to the point that I want to play "The First 48 Drinking Game"... white victim: drink half of beverage. White perp: drink entire beverage... you'd drink a glass of beer a season playing that way.

And sadly only very rarely do I feel for the victim as most of the time they are as deep in the game as the guy who killed them. But every once in a while you get an episode that pisses me off. One that I clearly remember was an older hispanic small business owner closed up his shop and went to a stop and rob to drink some beers with his friends and got killed in a stupid stickup for like four dollars. Another was another older hispanic guy who tried to stop a stick up of a convenience store and got shot and killed in the process. But the one that really pissed me off was the episode with the husband and wife tattoo parlor where the street urchins got very tackily inked then came back and robbed the place and killed the guy's wife in the process. Whoever edited that episode really made you feel for the husband and his kids while simultaneously wanting the trash that killed his wife to swing by the neck.

pretty much sums it up.

another really common one is the "well he was runnin his mouf about how he was gonna get me, so I had to get him first. It was self defense."
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I watch it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I am in awe of the guys and gals down the hall.  They actually "give a shit". (Most have 20-30 years on) They love what they do, and if they don't...they typically won't stay past a year.

It's a mentality I will never comprehend.

That's a personal flaw on my part....not theirs.

Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#43]
One of my favorite shows, once I hear the intro I know stuck watching it.

Also I learned that most murders are committed by blacks well on that show at least
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#44]
In almost every category, the demographics of "typical" US murder victims and perpetrators are almost identical.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#46]
If you watch it long enough you can see people interviewed in one show get murdered in another. A guy named "Murdah" was a suspect in a Louisville homicide. A couple episodes later he was gunned down in one of Louisville's garden spots; the locals spray painted his name all over the buildings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If you watch it long enough you can see people interviewed in one show get murdered in another. A guy named "Murdah" was a suspect in a Louisville homicide. A couple episodes later he was gunned down in one of Louisville's garden spots; the locals spray painted his name all over the buildings.

I remember that one

Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#48]
The victim is always a beloved member of the community.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I love it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#50]
The cops are very professional. Even when the victim is a dirtbag, and he usually is, they do a thorough investigation. There's an old saying that a society is judged by how it treats its least-deserving citizens.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top