Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2002 11:22:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on what kind of targets you were shooting, trap or skeet, or sporting clays.

Also, whether you will be shooting around water and need to use steel for that or some other reason.

I can't advise you on sporting clays.

But for skeet you might see if the stores have any promotional lead loads in 9's or even 8's left over from dove season.  They would have the smaller shot.  Problem is, I'm told that while cheap, the shot is out of round and prone to fly unpredictably, like a knuckleball.

Trap, I don't often shoot, but I think they use in the neighborhood of 7's (in lead) for that, which there might not be any cheapo loads around.

If you need to use steel loads, cheap ones may be hard to find...

But think about this - unless you're already an excellent trap/skeet/sporting clays shooter, you might miss more with the cheap loads, even when you should break it.

Is it worth that to save a buck or two?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I was editing my original post when you were replying.

I would shop around for some cheaper target loads.  I haven't gone in a while, but maybe I'll see tomorrow what the range is selling them for.

How many boxes a week would you be shooting?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I the past I have found some great deals on Winchester AA in half case or case lots. - If you can find a volume dealer sometimes they get it at promo rates.

Also used to get deals on Active, but that didn't extract as nice in my Ithica M37.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
PMC actually makes a pretty good target load and is a little cheaper than the winchester and remington loads.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
im looking to purchase some 2 3/4 inch shells for shooting some clays.  Ammoman doesnt have any listed on the site so where can i get a few cases of the stuff?  Would it be cheaper to go to k-mart and buy it there?
View Quote

Most local clubs have them for cost. some clubs even have once fired reloaded AA 3 dram loads (71/2 8 and 9).
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Wal-Mart has Winchester AA for $4.97 everyday price. Around here some of the sporting good stores run specials a couple time a year and I stock up then.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Walmart also carries Winchester 'Universal' shells for around 15.00 / 100. I shot the highest sporting clays score I ever got on a course with these shells.(3 dram / 7.5 shot)

(course it also helps if you keep your barrel moving)[:E]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
walmart atleats theres were my family boght em when we did C.A.S.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Walmart also carries Winchester 'Universal' shells for around 15.00 / 100. I shot the highest sporting clays score I ever got on a course with these shells.(3 dram / 7.5 shot)

(course it also helps if you keep your barrel moving)[:E]
View Quote

Walmart also has Federal multi-purpose or something like that for $15/100.  Thats what I use, in either 7.5 or 8 shot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top