Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 8:02:43 PM EDT
Now before I get started, I just want to say that I'm not the kind of guy that believes everything I hear.  I really do not believe this, nor do I want to. But it is really a serious alligation that I'd like to atleast ask about.

I was at walmart buying some plinking 9mm ammo when I heard this.  I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere, but it's 115gr Winchester ball FMJ target/range ammo X 100 for $10 (not too bad).  Anyway during this purchase a guy asked if those were the new bullets he had heard about on some popular news channel.  The clerk asked what he meant and the guy went on to explain that they're (the government) is trying to secretly mandate that all ammo expire within about a year of purchase.  He went on to explain that if this passes that all ammo companies will have to install special primers that only last a year due to the loss of a chemical over time - preventing fire. Sounds like BS to me, but I figure if it's true one of you would have heard about it.  Another weird thing that happened at wallyworld is that the clerk didn't ask for an ID or if it was for a pistol - hmmm.

So with all the wisdom of the board - do we just toss this garbage in the toilet?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Folklore.This same tale went around during the primer shortage of 91-92?.There is nothing to render a primer inert in a year that wont do it now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
emagine the lawsuits from civies and cops...

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I figured. I couldn't understand the science behind it as to how ammo could be flawless until about a year later.  I feel stupid for asking that, but I'd have felt even worse if it were true and I didn't go buy some of the "good stuff" before it was all gone.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top