Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2002 3:11:39 PM EDT
Actually, movie.  I was watching A Clockwork Orange with my friends(while intoxicated), and after thinking how so much more fucked up it was than when sober, I thought that it was(perhaps inadvertantly) one of the most progun movies that I had ever seen.  Despite the fact that not a single firearm apperas in the movie.  It seemed to be an excellent demonstration of what can happen when civilians are deprived of arms.  Think I'm on to something, or do you just think that maybe I should lay off the substances?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Clockwork Orange is far from a progun movie. Now if you mentioned any AAANOLD movie, I'd be in full agreement.  I also think its a shame that that poor boy can't listen to classical music anymore!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What about movies like Escape from LA, or Demolition Man?

I know they are kinda antigun in soem repsects... no-one owns any guns.... but the civilization goes to shit and only the ones with guns seem to do alright.....

seemed to make a statement to me.

Not that they are good movies, but entertaining
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Red Dawn - protection from foreign enemies (commies).

Waco: Rules of Engagement - protection from domestic enemies (BATF, IRS, FBI, etc.)

Tremors - not just guns but the whole self-sufficiency message.  

Invasion USA - Yeah, Chuck kicked ass, but to me it made a point about having an armed populace who would make mince meat of the terrorists.  QUOTE - "It's time to die."

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch the Death Wish series. They illustrate the pro-gun message pretty well. I rememer the scene in the third one where an elderly couple in NYC chases some criminals out with a revolver, so the crooks call the cops, who come to the couples' home and take their gun. After they leave, the criminals come back, chanting "We'll come in here whenever we want!"
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I've most of those movies, and I certainly remeber that scene in Death Wish 3, which seems to be a great example of how gun control is detrimental to the law abiding and helpful to the criminal element.  But in Clockwork Orange, the guns were more conspicous by their abscence.  For instance, when Alex and his droogs break into the house of that writer and his wife, and they beat them both and rape the wife(and I believe kill her), I kept thinking "If they were only armed...".  I kept thinking that any gun manufacturer could just clip that scene and tack on a plug for their company and that would make a fantastic advertisement.  They could say "Don't let this happen to you", and there ya go.  Does that explain things any better, or am I making less sense?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the British Guy Ritchie movies, "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" because the harmless, run-of-the-mill shady characters are always pitifully armed (airguns, replicas) while the violent, professional criminals are all armed with great hardware, (like BREN guns and Krinkovs). Sort of illustrates the futility of banning weapons to keep them out of criminals' hands.

Maybe there's an exception. In Snatch, one of the harmless lowlifes bought a revolver and was mocked about it, but the revolver ends up saving their lives when they get caught up in the gangsters' business.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Frequency is pretty pro-gun...the main character's father uses a privately owned 12 gauge to good effect at the end.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
actually....I think some of the action movies that have all the cool guns in them are somewhat [i]counter productive[/i] to the cause at times.
When the [b]sheeple[/b], and [b]soccer moms[/b] see Bruce Willis, or Arnold, or [i]anybody[/i] mow down an entire room full of bad guys with an M16, AK, MP5, ect. ect. They think it is an accurate depiction of the capabilities of every "evil looking" rifle.
Their reaction is [shock] "My goodness...People [b]cannot[/b] be allowed to own such things"
I also think that "Movies" are the basis for some of the so-called "[b]research[/b]" done by the ignorant fvcks at the [b]VPC[/b], and of course the [b]Brady Bunch[/b]

Dont get me wrong...I like a good gun movie just as much as anybody else though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
There are very few pro-gun movies.  There are many movies that are outright anti-gun, and even more movies that while not outright anti-gun, fail to depict gun ownership in a positive light when they could have done so.

That said, one pro gun movie is Patriot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The 007 movies have no qualms about guns, although the bad guys suffer from severe 'Stormtrooper Syndrome' (i.e. can't hit any side of a barn from 2ft away)... And of course, even though it's in Britian, all the bad guys have their (illegal) guns...

In general, however, one should notice that movies are getting off the 'gun bandwagon', and moving to the 'smoking bandwagon'... Look at 'The Sum of all Beers' (or was that supposed to be 'Fears'), Triple X, etc... They are jammed with gratuitous anti-smoking messages (In Beers, Boston is destroyed by a cigarette vending machine with a nuke in it, in XXX a cigarrette is 'hot' enough to attract a stinger missile, etc...) that just don't fit...

I hate cigarettes, but come on! Don't do the 'we inturrupt this movie for the following liberal political plug' thing...

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Which one? The Patriot starring Mel Gibson as Ben Martin in the fight against the british in the Revolution or Steven Segal as a small town doctor fighting the anti-gov't militia and trying to find a cure while there was small outbreak of a bio-weapon? These two movies have the same title.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about movies like Escape from LA, or Demolition Man?

I know they are kinda antigun in soem repsects... no-one owns any guns.... but the civilization goes to shit and only the ones with guns seem to do alright.....

seemed to make a statement to me.

Not that they are good movies, but entertaining
View Quote

Demolition man does a great job of making fun of liberals and their agenda.... The whole 'liberal utopia' where everything from gasoline to guns to good tasting food is illegal, and how they can't even protect it from one criminal, how the 'trust everyone, and store live ammo with the guns in the museum, because no one would ever want to touch one' thing went...

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which one? The Patriot starring Mel Gibson as Ben Martin in the fight against the british in the Revolution or Steven Segal as a small town doctor fighting the anti-gov't militia and trying to find a cure while there was small outbreak of a bio-weapon? These two movies have the same title.
View Quote

The Mel Gibson movie, of course.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
THE SEIGE has a scene where they refer to a mom who was carrying that got off one shot into the terrorist in the classroom. Then Denzel goes in to end it. Nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top