Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2002 7:32:57 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone else here visited National Parks where firearms are prohibited?

I visited the Great Smoky Mtns NP a couple weekends ago and I have no problem with not having a gun with me. There's not much to fear in the Smokies IMHO. I think that allowing guns in NPs opens it up for poaching. I like to see wildlife up close and in the Smokies I was just 20 yards from a 5 year old bull elk!

CRC
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
As a very regular camper, yes, I do.  And.....I could give two shits about the signs that say no firearms.  I carry where and when I want.  And yes, I am prepared to face the consequences of being caught.  Sorry, but my familie's and my own safety come first.  Screw no firearms.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess that is a difference in people.  I visited them in TN a few weeks ago and I would have felt comfortable if I had my gun with me.  That does not mean that if I were 'allowed' to carry that I would blast bambi or elk or bears - or did you not see the posted signs that warned that 'bears were active in the area'?

I am of the better to have and not need school.

edited to add that I also especially liked the 'u.n. biosphere' signs
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much to fear in the Smokies?  Well, maybe not of the 4-legged variety.  It's the 2-legged that I'm usually concerned about.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
F***'em! My guns go with me wherever I go.

If my weapons aren't welcome, then I doin't go!

If there is any question, I keep my mouth shut!

Remember: There is no such thing as a deaf mute in prison!

Eric The(Serious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
5 years ago, the Great Smoky Mountain National Park gave two of its visitors to a black bear.

First time in 30 or 40 years.

I was in Gatlinburg at the time, staying with my family (with 2 kids and two very old women) in a cabin in a heavily forested area on the edge of town.

While I was there, my father-in-law and I went hiking, and came across a young black bear on the trail - literally about 40 feet away. No incident, but the handgun was out of the fanny pack within about 5 seconds.

While driving back to town, we had to stop in the road because a bear was sort of meandering across the road with a cub in tow.

The last time I camped in the GSMNP, a bear had been spotted in our campground several days before our arrival (me and my two kids, 8 and 5).

Camping means a flimsy piece of nylon between you, your family and whatever decides it wants you.

Hell no, I don't pay any attention to those damned signs. Low profile, of course, don't need trouble from any wardens, and don't want to frighten the soccer moms in their $100,000 RVs.

No ability to protect my children means I don't go. Any other rationale makes the trip a fools errand, or maybe even child endangerment.

And we're going camping, no matter who says what.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

*** edited because dollar signs matter ***
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could feel like you do and screw the law but seriously whats your chance of getting attacked in a NP outside of a bear or something? And if a bear's going to attack you anything less than a .357 is useless! The folks that hunt bears were I live pack nothing smaller than .44 Mags! How can you conceal a .44 Mag on your person? Don't tell me your going to fend off a 500 pound bruin with a Glock 17!

I also don't have young kids to worry about too so that can make a difference..............

CRC
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember, Klinton started the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy.  I just had to turn it back around on him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quite frankly I ignore all of those "no guns allowed" signs: schools, colleges, hospitals, parks, etc. etc.

There'll be no Luby's Cafeteria nor Columbine nor Long Island train shootings around me, thankyouverymuch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish I could feel like you do and screw the law but seriously whats your chance of getting attacked in a NP outside of a bear or something? And if a bear's going to attack you anything less than a .357 is useless! The folks that hunt bears were I live pack nothing smaller than .44 Mags! How can you conceal a .44 Mag on your person? Don't tell me your going to fend off a 500 pound bruin with a Glock 17!

I also don't have young kids to worry about too so that can make a difference..............

CRC
View Quote

Glad you live to the letter of the law, brother.
You ever worry about your wife, or yourself?  

I, on the other hand, spend many weekends a year in the Smokies. Tent gun is a 18' 'Berg 500, 000 buck 3' Mag, slug, 000, slug.000.slug.  And the Super Redhawk always flies with us, chock full of 300gr hardcast that would make a S&W self destruct.......  As far as concealment goes, If asked, I say "That's my schlong, would you like to inspect it?"   No problems to date, though next time may be a bear of a different color....

Both are a handful, but a good insurance policy.

YMMV

good luck in the woods.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]
So you don't think a 5 year old bull elk is something to fear...

Man, wait 'til the rut, THEN get close to bambi's dad.[:D]

--------------

Also.... [b]'I think that allowing guns in NPs opens it up for poaching.'[/b]

hmmmmm...

Trying not to flame...

Poachers are criminals who carry firearms to illegally shoot game.  Banning firearms only gives poachers one less worry... noone except those above said laws can stop or confront them using force.  It's like an armed burgler breaking into a house in a country where firearms are banned.  Who's going to argue.

Banning firearms does not inhibit poaching.  Poachers are breaking the law.  Only law abiding people will cease to carry.  Poachers are generally not shooting game 'spur of the moment'.  They go out into the woods with the intent to take game illegally.

I know it's a cliche', but when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
It is pretty simple, Me go out into the Forest, Gun goes with me no exceptions, even when I go snowboarding know in the Back country or on a Ski Resort.

National parks dont mean squat,I would rather risk carrying a firearm then risk a fight with a grizzly bear,black bear,Bull or Cow elk,Bull or Cow Moose,Wolfs, and deer.

Last time I went snowboarding up at Timberline Lodge up on Mt.Hood In Oregon, I had a very close encounter with a wolf for about 3 hours.

I had ventured out of bounds and did not know it, and I had to hike back to the lodge, it was all up hill and treversing to my left. Anyway I had a wolf get within arms reach of me, circleing me like it was a shark and I was the prey in the water, the only thing I had to fend off the wolf was my snowboard and a pocket knife. It stayed with me for 3 hours up until I got close enough to a lift that other peoples noises seemed to scare it off! Believe me I thought I was dead meat. So know I am packing no matter were I am in the woods, because you never know!

Some laws are made to be broken, and a little civil disobiedience is always good for the soul!

Saying that guns in National parks makes it easier for people to poach, is like the same rational that is like say if you take away peoples guns in cities that crime will go down! you see what I am saying!

People who want to do harm are going to do it whether a law says they can or can not, and they sure are not to concerned with the consequences, poachers are not to conerned with the consequences, so a no firearms law makes no difference to a poacher.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#12]
If the area is know for cougars or bears, hell no, I wouldn't go without firearms.

I'm just waiting for some soccer mom backpacker type to get jumped by a cougar in CA. The mountain lion population is increasing due to their protected status, and during the summer they're coming down into the burbs looking for food and water.

Blood will be spilled soon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya gotta love Texas!  I hike/camp in Hill Country State Natural Area.  This is considered back country camping and concealed handguns with permit are AOK.  At least to Officer Fuentas who works there.[:D]

Edit:  Bad Backstop!! He said National Park, not State Natural Area!! [stick]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know. When I visit the GSMNP I just don't feel a need to pack heat. I don't care if anyone else carries or not and I sure won't report them if I find out. Usually if someone gets attacked by an animal it's their own stupid fault.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
 'Laws' and prohibitions only effect those who ALLOW them to determine their behavior. Just say NO to either unconstitutional or non-sensical statist pronouncements.
 As someone stated, it's less the potential of 4-legged predators than those 2 legged who happen to be in your proximity.
 If CRC actually uses 'logic' as the 'guns encourage poaching' would suggest, hope the local cops don't pick him/her up while searching for a local rapist/prostitute. [The 'tools' make you guilty, right?!].
 Bet the couple murdered on the Appalachain trail and the 2 women in the Sierras{?-IIRC] wished they'd been armed-regardless of what some statist sign said. Ghost
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
--snip--
Usually if someone gets attacked by an animal it's their own stupid fault.

CRC
View Quote

Kinda like people who want to see wildlife up close?  No offense, but as Stealth alluded to, you probably wouldn't be saying this if you'd seen that bull elk during the rut.

To answer your question, yes I carry whenever I'm in the backcountry, whatever the "rules".  If you want to give up the advantage of being at the top of the foodchain, that's your decision.  I'll no sooner choose to be a victim in the wilderness than I would in the city.

Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
To me it's simple. Me and my money don't go where my gun is not welcome. I didn't pay $50 for a CCW to leave it at home. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. More so if my family is there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top