Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2002 5:34:15 PM EDT
Looking to buy a quality set of meaurement calipers (vernier). General purpose use.  Should I go digital or analog (dial) type?  Pros/cons? Any brands to recommend?  Thanks for any tips or feedback.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Starrett's top of the line - $140 or so.  But you can a cheap one made in one of those oriental countries that'll do for most anything +/- 0.0005".
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a whole mess of [url=http://www.starrett.com/]starrett[/url] stuff(including a 6" dial caliper as refrence here). So please no bs about what follows, I do my damnest to always buy American.

I was at [url=http://www.harborfreight.com]Harbor Freight[/url] for something.. saw their [url=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47257]digital calipers[/url] on sale, for less than $20, I thought I'd give them a try, as I did not have any metric calipers and I was needing to measure some metric stuff...  Anyway, You can always take stuff back at harbor freight with a receipt.

Impression:

I was impressed, sure made in China, I had 2nd,3rd and 4th thoughts about even looking at them..

They are very nicely finished, dare I say as nice as [url=http://www.brownandsharpe.com/]B&S[/url].

nice fitted case

spare battery included!

I got out my Starret standards, and this thing was as accurate as my Starret 6" I have (analog dial) (accurate to 0.001 but reads out to 0.0005")

metric & standard in one unit.

not bad for the [i]sale price[/i] of $20, if you don't have the budget for Starret.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Pave:   Get a Starrett 120 series, dial type, stainless steel, made in USA.  Brownell's has them for around $120, but you can find them in new condition on ebay for half price.  Just type Starrett into the search box.  They are quite useful and handy tools.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
www.micromark.com

#82556   Digital  $40

#80973   Dial Caliper  $33

I have the Dial Caliper, use it for measuring overall length of brass for reloading, etc.  All I need for this work.  Lots of other good small tools from this company, they will send you a free catalog.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I swear by Mitutoyo. Use their metrology instruments at work every day.

[url]www.mitutoyo.com[/url]

-T.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mitutoyo is nice - I have their solar/electronic caliper and a Digimike set (non-electronic) that I got as a company christmas gift a couple jobs ago, and I RILLY like them!  Eyes get a little tired trying to read those Vernier scales, y'know?

Buying for myself, I wait until I can afford Starrett or Brown&Sharpe.  Failing USA, I will ONLY go European (German is good) or Japanese with offshore-made stuff.

Same thing with tooling.  I have been looking into getting a compact lathe and mill, or an all-in-one machine.  A buddy tried to turn me on to Grizzly, but all their bases and ways are made in Taiwan - no thanks!  

I'm going to get a Sherline set when I get the scratch together - the set I want (that will do MOST of what I want to do) I expect to run about $2,000 - that's for a compact lathe and an 8-way mill, plus dividing table and other accessories...

FFZ

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vernier scales

View Quote

I tried teaching one of our junior employees how to read a vernier scale. He had no expierience with precision measuring instruments other than a digital caliper.

I stood around the corner where he couldn't see me giggling about remarks such as:

"What the f^%k is this!"
"F*&K this shit!"

Quite amusing..

-T.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vernier scales

View Quote

I tried teaching one of our junior employees how to read a vernier scale. He had no expierience with precision measuring instruments other than a digital caliper.

I stood around the corner where he couldn't see me giggling about remarks such as:

"What the f^%k is this!"
"F*&K this shit!"

Quite amusing..

-T.
View Quote

Thats funny....I'd like to see him try to use a MARINE SEXTANT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Enco has a good selection of calipers and other tools. They have a catalog similar in size to Brownell's. [url]www.use-enco.com[/url]

You can get a 6" digital Starrett with carbide face and digital outputs for $220. Expensive, but it can be useful if you need to take a series of measurements and want to capture the output into a computer.

I try to buy everything American, but I'm flexible when it comes to ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top