Posted: 9/19/2002 9:31:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Call the police.  This is a federal offense, but it's usually not taken seriously.  Watch your six.
View Quote

Call the USPS Postal Inspector As soon as you can.  The sooner someone takes a report and interviews the mailman, the sooner you can decide how to proceed from there.   You could also put an alert where all the neighbors will see it and refer to the USPS report # and contact information.

A good idea also would be to notify all the credit bureas in writing request that they contact you at a specified address/phone # if anyone tries to open an account under your name.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived in a very nice condo complex in a very nice area of Northern San Diego. The mail boxes took up a 12 foot long section of a wall, it was broken into three panels.
I walked out to get my mail one night at 2 am and I found the middle panel lock broken and the cover open. I think I supprised them since I found a pry-bar and a crow-bar in the planter. All of the mail slots had been emptied. They had also broken into the mail delivery box and had taken all of the mail that was in there.
I called the police, they actualy responded in 10 minutes. They told me that the complex was the third one in the area that had been hit tht night.
The next day the manager had holes drilled into the concrete slab and had set metal poles into the ground in front of the mail box panels and then had cross locking bars installed in front of the panels. The mail delivery guy had to remove the bards in order to open the panel.
There was one person in the complex (that I knew about) that had an identity theft.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Was there outgoing mail? That's a good place to pick up a bunch of checks for washing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... This is why I NEVER send outgoing mail from home. I always drop it off at the post office. ...
View Quote

A couple of years ago, my post office’s entire drop off box was stolen!  (It was one where you could drop your mail off without getting out of your car.)

I now go inside the post office to mail anything.

If I were you, my main concern would be identity theft.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of those ctluster boxes too. It has been left open by the mail carrier a few times.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the government.

[img]http://www.wvah.com/programs/kingofthehill/dalegribble.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Check Washers should be shot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]
if it was me, i'd throw a flaming backpack on their ass.

my mail lady is lazy.  i had a bill to go out and we must not have had mail because it was never picked up.  i'm sorry if she had to walk 20ft..lazy.  i remember a time when the mailmen walked the neihborhood.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top