Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2002 7:33:06 PM EDT
Um...   I really really really want to move!

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1761906773[/url]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
does it come with the missle?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't laugh....  Goatboy and I were seriously considering buying (and moving our families there) this last September.  [:D]

The blast doors would keep us isolated from the wives:

[img]http://www.silohome.com/11421a50.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang...Sure would be NICE!
On the other hand. I'm sure there is a Russian Nuclear Warhead with that address on it..
:o)
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn it, I tried to buy it now, but my Pay pal will not accept that much money [;D]

I really want that kind fo house one day
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It probably was a steal when the developer bought it from the fed.gov ...

But it looks like they have made substantial improvements since buying it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
By 100 acres and dig your own.

I am thinking about something more along these lines...

[url]http://www.radmeters4u.com/arktwo/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
That's Bruce Beach's group.

Bright guy for a hippie. [:D]

Just make sure to plan for the "Server Room!"

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I dig the old busses. Friggin ingenious.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Farmer Dude,

When you get your huge new Ohio farm, Goatboy and I are coming up to do some wiring !

When we built our house (about 5 years ago) few people had even heard about structured wiring and cat5 stuff...

I took 6 months off from work to pre-wire the house. (before I fucked my back up)  Fortunately, Rosana was still job hunting at the time and she helped out ... I still have the pics of her drilling holes for the central vac stuff.  [:D]
Here's my basement:  [:D]

[url]web-comm.com/ool[/url]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is way overpriced. I read in popular science a while back the government was selling them for like 25,000$ USD
View Quote

But it comes with the plane!!

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Troy--- C'mon down and live with us!
You should feel VERY much at home.

PRNJ=(kinda)=Kalifornistan  [:D]

Actually, I think we're gonna be moving shortly.

I need to be in the pool for aquatic physical therapy for my back.  (the hospital bills are killing me -->  $255 for each 45 minute session in the pool w/ a bikini clad therapist.. BUT she doesn't even have a nice rack!)

My sister and bro-in-law just bought a house with an indoor pool right across the street from my folk's house.   There is another new house for sale on the street.   I am contemplating moving, but dread the thought of having to wire it up.  (with my fucked back, it'd take me 15 years to replicate what we have here [:D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The government is still selling unrestored abandoned missile silos for next to nothing.  The key word is [b]unrestored[/b]  Most of them need complete rewiring, replumbing, and serious concrete repair before they'd be even close to livable.

$2,000,000 probably isn't too much, but the buy it now price of $25,000,000 is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you think that they are "clean" ?
ie:  free from environmental contaminents...

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you think that they are "clean" ?
ie:  free from environmental contaminents...

View Quote

I'd be worried about asbestos insulation with an unrestored silo.  Hell, a restored silo might still have asbestos present simply because of the costs associated with removing the stuff.  They are quite large.  I know a couple people who went together and bought one in North Dakota.  They built a similar set up with an airfield for access (it was 65 miles from the nearest highway on a dirt road) and fully rebuilt the interior, including the actual silo, which is nothing more than a really deep concrete pit with a giant, moving slab of concrete on top.  It's really cool now, but it took them 6 years to complete it and nearly bankrupted a couple of the guys.  The actual cost was pretty low (they bought it in the 80's and restored it in the 90s, but I think the cost was something on the order of $20,000 with almost 150 acres of surface land), but the restoration and upgrade to civilian livable conditions were enormously expensive.  They did most of the work to build a "house" themselves, but the asbestos removal and repiping had to be done by licensed contractors, which cost a literal fortune (remember they are 65 miles from the nearest highway).  

Total floor space, inlcuding several floors they added in the silo is something on the order of 150,000 square feet.  Huge storage spaces, large, comfortable living quarters and hotel-like bedrooms.  It's pretty cool, but I don't think it's really worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Just hope it's not still on some old missiles targeting computer...[:D]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey Farmer Dude,

When you get your huge new Ohio farm, Goatboy and I are coming up to do some wiring !

When we built our house (about 5 years ago) few people had even heard about structured wiring and cat5 stuff...

I took 6 months off from work to pre-wire the house. (before I fucked my back up)  Fortunately, Rosana was still job hunting at the time and she helped out ... I still have the pics of her drilling holes for the central vac stuff.  [:D]

Here's my basement:  [:D]

[url]web-comm.com/ool[/url]
View Quote

Holy crap!!! Now THATS a basement! You got the right idea. I need to make my basement EMF proof.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Jesus, RBAD! Are you trying to replicate NORAD or something?

I didn't even understand HALF the terms you used!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top