Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 3:18:32 PM EDT
My comments are in [red]RED[/red]

By KATHERINE ROTH
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (Sept. 18) - A statue of a falling woman - designed as a memorial to those who jumped or fell to their death from the World Trade Center - was abruptly draped in cloth and curtained off Wednesday because of complaints that it was too disturbing.

[red] WHO THE HELL COMMISSIONED IT?[/red]

``We apologize if anyone was upset or offended by the display of this sculpture. It was certainly not our intent. The piece will be removed this evening,'' said Suzanne Halpin, spokeswoman for Rockefeller Center.

[red]Oh, those assholes...[/red]

Eric Fischl's bronze, ``Tumbling Woman,'' depicts a naked woman with arms and legs flailing. It went on view about a week ago in the lower concourse at Rockfeller Center and was supposed to remain on display through Monday.

[red] And THEN where does it go? [/red]

Numerous news photos captured images of desperate people leaping to their deaths as the 110-story towers burned.

Some passers-by in Rockefeller Center complained that the sculpture was too graphic.

[red]Apparently only "SOME" people know what is proper.[/red]

``I don't think it dignifies their deaths,'' said Paul Labb. ``It's not art. It is very disrupting when you see it.''

[red]This guy is OK, he realizes a spineless form of "art" when he sees it.[/red]

``The sculpture was not meant to hurt anybody,'' [red]No, it was meant to get this "artist"s' name recognized...[/red]Fischl said in a statement. ``It was a sincere expression of deepest sympathy for the vulnerability of the human condition. Both specifically towards the victims of Sept. 11 and towards humanity in general.''

[red]Fucking Asshole...Why didnt he he just make an "art" piece of mangled/vaporised human body parts then?[/red]

Some onlookers said there is a need for art that captures the horror of Sept. 11.

[red]These onlookers should be sent to Iraq a few seconds before it turns into a sea of molten glass...Art should not be used as a substitute for PAYBACK.[/red]

``I don't think that it's done in bad taste,'' Christine Defonces said before the statue was covered. ``It's an artist's reaction to what happened.''

[red]No, you fvcking whore...Someone in your world actually COMMISSIONED it...it did not "JUST SHOW UP" in the gallery...It takes months of planning and executing to make a large bronze statue like that. Someone got paid for it, as these "artists" need to eat.

This isnt a rant on all artists, just the ones who try to pass their crap off as an "expression" of something. [/red]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It was not commissioned. The sculpture did it himself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
shit on a shingle
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You know I am one tough MFer when the chips are down,and I could shoot an intruder who has bad intentions for me and mine in my home and not lose a nights sleep over it,PERIOD!
Those pictures of people jumping to their deaths to avoid the torture of burning to death kept me awake all night after I saw them.
Fuck the "artist" that made it.

(edited because I was pissed when I typed it the first time and made a few errors)
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Where can I see a picture of this masterpiece?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I think making a statue based on the misery of those who died is a disgrace.   However, I am all for putting the [b]REAL[/b] pics of the carnage, jumpers and bodies out for all to see. All the sheeple see are the sanitized rubble and debris pics and quickly forget the real reason we are at war.
If you're going to show the pics, show them all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020918/ap_on_re_us/sept_11_statue_1

I think this "statue" is in complete bad taste!!!
It should be melted back down to a blob,that would be a better use of the bronze.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020918/ap_on_re_us/sept_11_statue_1

It should be melted back down to a blob,that would be a better use of the bronze.
View Quote

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020918/ap_on_re_us/sept_11_statue_1[/url]
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know I am one tough MHer when the chips are down,and I could shoot an intruder who has bad intentions for me and mine in my home and not lose a nights sleep over it,PERIOD!
Those pictures of people jumping to their deaths to avoid the torture of burning to death kept me awake all night after I saw them.
Fuck the "attist" that made it.
View Quote

WOW! I am actually kind of shocked at the response on this board. I guess I viewed this sculptors "work" (I wouldn't dignify it as "art") as a good thing.

It really puts a face on this massacre. When you see a picture of an airliner striking the WTC all I see (and I'm not trying to be insensitive here) is one inanimate object destroying another inanimate object. It is hard to put a human face or value on that. It is hard to put a human face on the numbers.... the 3,000+ dead. But when you see a picture of someone jumping, or when you see this sculpture, which immortalizes that picture/event. That puts a human touch on it. You realize that that one person was someone's daughter, someone's wife maybe, someone's mother maybe. If you are from NYC or NJ that may have been your neighbor. It touches you on a personal level.... and we need more of that.... [b]do you know why?[/b]

[red]Because it will keep us angry! It will make us think about the fvcking cowards that did this to our country![/red] And not just hte fvcking cowards that did this to our country, but who did this to [b]that woman![/b] The bastards that took this womans life.

People get WAY TOO BENT over things. They aren't angry because of how it made them feel... they're angry because they'll sound popular to be upset about this sculpture. I for one say BRAVO! to this sculptor. People keep saying that it is time to move on with our lives after 9/11... and I agree. I'm tired of the news media relating EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN headline to something 9/11 related when it isn't.

But moving on doesn't mean we should forget (or forgive). We should still be EVERY SINGLE BIT AS ANGRY AS WE WERE ON 9/11/2001! The job is not done and the second we stop remembering just exactly what it is that these people did to us..... then that is that day that we lose our resolve to kill these motherfvckers.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=143567&w=searchPop[/url]

My $0.02

-DH
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a very good statue. I don't even see anything that would remind me of 9-11.
Looks like some crappy statue that was for some other project and then he just wanted to get some
face time in the media by saying it was for a 9-11 tribute.
Looks more like some kind of Lezbo Art.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I too was apalled and disgusted when I first saw the "sculpture".  However, we must remember that one of the reasons that we gather here is to defend the Rights of Fellow Americans.  Our rights, their rights, we can't have it both ways, as much as we would like to...
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally dont see whats wrong with the statue.

It isnt that graphic.  And it portrays a very poignant part of the WTC attack.

We shouldnt hide, or run from, the fact that several HUNDRED of our country men and women, and people from around the world, felt that to jump from 90+ stories was better than the alternative.

Hiding it is fucking stupid.  Pretending that it didnt happen is STUPID.  

If it takes that statue to remind people of what those 19 shits did, then so be it.

Yes the statue is moving, especially in context of a memorial dedicated to the WTC.

It SHOULD be.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never been to The Holocaust Museum, does it have visual reminders of suffering like this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I was sickened when I first saw the sculpture, too.  Then I realized that might not be such a bad thing.  What happened on 9/11/01 should make someone sick.  Looking at pictures of the mangled bodies, watching videos of the terrified jumpers, hearing the last words of lost family members.  It should make you sick.  It should make you want to wipe out the culture that spawned these acts.  [And, no, I'm not talking about Muslims.  I'm talking about terrorists and all who would support them.]

I do agree that something this strong probably shouldn't be sitting out in plain sight.  Maybe in a special exhibit, so people know what they are going to see.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in no way an "Art" expert.  But from way back in my memory, (from the one decent art class I've had) I remember what "Art" is suppose to do:  It's suppose to make us think, make us feel, and most of all, teach us something about human behavior.

This sculture does exactly that.

Bottom line: "Art" doesn't always make us happy.  And neither does life....

The sculpture should have remained on display.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020918/capt.1032381550.sept_11_statue_nyr149.jpg[/img]

aledged photo...
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything that keeps alive the horror of that day until all those that caused it are destroyed is OK in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top