Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 12:04:54 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've always been amazed at the scope of knowledge all our members have. So that being said, I have a question on computer CD's. I'm currently keeping a CDROM disk with A LOT of personal financial information. I was wondering if there was a way of putting a password on the CD, so that in case someone finds it, it'll be "locked".

Any help or suggestions would be welcome...

Thanks, Mayday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What program format is the information saved as: Word DOC, Excel Spreadsheet.

Most programs have a "Save As" with an encryption option.

Just don't forget the password. Generally, the company that created the program cannot even break it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
get PGP. Create a self decrypting archive. PRolly one of the most secure ways to do it. and for god's sake, PICK A GOOD PASSWORD!!!

I've seen way too many people use simple 3 letter passwords that cna be cracked easily. Pick sometihng hard!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Generally, the company that created the program cannot even break it.
View Quote

Unbreakable? Possible, but unlikely. Encryption doesn't need to be broken, all you have to do is circumvent it :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top