Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2013 5:45:19 PM EDT
With the new Gen 6 cars, other than the front grill looking like a Chevrolet, Toyota, or Ford, is there anything else about the cars that make them unique to those manufacturers?  Are the engines made by Chevy, Toyota, or Ford?  Not sure why it matters, other than sponsorship, whether the car is marked as a Chevy, Toyota, or Ford, if its simply a cosmetic thing.  I'm not normally into NASCAR but this year I've decided to try and watch more races and perhaps learn more about the cars.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Don't know, but they couldn't pass, so a boring race.

I like three wide for the win.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well be simulated cars on a computer.

The 'Car of Tomorrow' is the antithesis of what made Nascar.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull a car out of the showroom, mod it and race it.
NASCAR would come back to the glory days if they went back to it.

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The chassis (bare steel frame made out of tubing that everything attaches to) that the teams use are all built to the same specs and are checked by NASCAR with a computer. Then specific areas are electronically tagged. The chassis have serial numbers and the electronic tags are registered to that serial number.

There is no way to remove the tags without destroying them. NASCAR checks for the correct tags to be on the chassis. If the chassis needs to have parts replaced, NASCAR must be notified and after the repair the chassis must be reinspected by NASCAR at their R&D center.

New tags are applied by NASCAR and are added to the chassis serial number.

The bodys have different looks to get them more like the cars sold by the respected manufacture but all have been tested to have the same amount of drag and down force to keep one brand from having an advantage.

In the last decade, the bodys were all pretty much the same except for decals. Take the decals and paint off, you couldn't tell any of them apart. Not that way now.

The engines are built by teams with approved parts from NASCAR however, alot of teams lease race engines from major teams. Hendrick, ECR (Earnhardt/Childress engine shop), Roush/Yates engines and TRD are the major engine suppliers. Teams lease a engine and that comes with a engine tuner as well. Around $60-$80k per race.

The major teams also rent out their engineering teams to smaller teams as well.

With NASCAR, it's not what the rule book says, it's what it doesn't say.

HERE is a pretty good write up on Jeff Gordons T-REX car.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It is pretty much spec racing any more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is the ONLY way I'll have any interest in watching any NASCAR racing.

Only the wrecks are interesting.   The rest is just the same boring shit, lap after lap.

It's a metaphor for the democratic party....run in circles and keep turning left!

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NASCAR is working really hard at making the races as boring as possible.  I didn't think they could possibly make it any worse that the 2x2 racing they did last year, but they somehow managed it
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know why they even bother having different car makers.. they're all tuned/detuned to weigh the exact same, and make the exact same amount of power and suck just as much as the car next to it...
fuck that.
The only difference between cars in nascar is the badge on the front.. and even THAT is about all those cars have in common with anything else those companies make for sale.

nascar can suck it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The chassis (bare steel frame made out of tubing that everything attaches to) that the teams use are all built to the same specs and are checked by NASCAR with a computer. Then specific areas are electronically tagged. The chassis have serial numbers and the electronic tags are registered to that serial number.

There is no way to remove the tags without destroying them. NASCAR checks for the correct tags to be on the chassis. If the chassis needs to have parts replaced, NASCAR must be notified and after the repair the chassis must be reinspected by NASCAR at their R&D center.

The bodys have different looks to get them more like the cars sold by the respected manufacture but all have been tested to have the same amount of drag and down force to keep one brand from having an advantage.

In the last decade, the bodys were all pretty much the same except for decals. Take the decals and paint off, you couldn't tell any of them apart. Not that way now.

The engines are built by teams with approved parts from NASCAR however, alot of teams lease race engines from major teams. Hendrick, ECR (Earnhardt/Childress engine shop), Roush/Yates engines and TRD are the major engine suppliers. Teams lease a engine and that comes with a engine tuner as well. Around $60-$80k per race.

that is possibly the gayest fucking shit i've ever read concerning a man's sport.

America has turned to shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is possibly the gayest fucking shit i've ever read concerning a man's sport.

America has turned to shit.

Even F1 has rules. I don't know how many but they do. Each team spend hundreds of millions of dollars per year and their racing isn't that much better IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NASCAR is working really hard at making the races as boring as possible.  I didn't think they could possibly make it any worse that the 2x2 racing they did last year, but they somehow managed it

I hear this a lot and don't understand what folks expect to happen in a car race.  Is there another series you prefer to watch?  There were 29 lead changes in today's race and there were a large number of cars competing for the win at the end.  Were the "glory days" of NASCAR more exciting? The cars were spread out all over the course and there wasn't nearly the number of lead changes. I agree with Tony Stewart when he says the only way some fans will enjoy a race is if they do some goofy figure 8 format or even turn half the field around and run them against traffic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

With the new Gen 6 cars, other than the front grill looking like a Chevrolet, Toyota, or Ford, is there anything else about the cars that make them unique to those manufacturers?  Are the engines made by Chevy, Toyota, or Ford?  Not sure why it matters, other than sponsorship, whether the car is marked as a Chevy, Toyota, or Ford, if its simply a cosmetic thing.  I'm not normally into NASCAR but this year I've decided to try and watch more races and perhaps learn more about the cars.

a lot of the body structure is brand 'massaged'

the engines are built by each team (that can afford to) and toyota does have a factory for the yotas though they have a bad track record thus far.  if shit isnt fixed soon, look for JG to go back to chevy

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the ONLY way I'll have any interest in watching any NASCAR racing.

Only the wrecks are interesting.   The rest is just the same boring shit, lap after lap.

It's a metaphor for the democratic party....run in circles and keep turning left!

Totally agree. NASCAR as it is now, is very boring to me.

LOL! Like the analogy

If you think NASCAR is bad (high speed bumper cars, imho) - you should see how badly the rules have screwed the NHRA

I've always enjoyed drag racing. But I just can't relate to the stuff they show on national TV (the "pro" classes). I like the 10.5 - 9 second cars ... you know, stuff the average person can compete in. Although I hate bracket racing, that's primarily all you can do in that speed range. BUT, you can do it w/ your own money, NO corporate sponsorship. That, however, is impossible to do in NASCAR - even in the lower segments of the sport. It's all commercial now, not the way it was 30 yrs ago.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear this a lot and don't understand what folks expect to happen in a car race.  Is there another series you prefer to watch?  There were 29 lead changes in today's race and there were a large number of cars competing for the win at the end.  Were the "glory days" of NASCAR more exciting? The cars were spread out all over the course and there wasn't nearly the number of lead changes. I agree with Tony Stewart when he says the only way some fans will enjoy a race is if they do some goofy figure 8 format or even turn half the field around and run them against traffic.

Wasting your breath on the GD hate Nascar crowd.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yawn!

I find just about any sport boring to watch.  Especially cars going in a circle for hours on end.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The nose of the cars don't lend to passing very well nor does it let cars hook up for the draft/push stuff.

I kept wanting Danica to wreck today though. Not because I hate her or anything about her being a woman. I just wanted to say "Danica rides pole, gets rear ended".
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoyed the race but got sick and tired of Danica Patrick being the center of attention.  Just let her race and don't make a big deal about it.  The novelty has worn off and I get the impression the other drivers are sick of her also.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I enjoyed the race but got sick and tired of Danica Patrick being the center of attention.  Just let her race and don't make a big deal about it.  The novelty has worn off and I get the impression the other drivers are sick of her also.

She drove 30% of the audience away from Indy.

The netowrk idiots ignored every other driver and verbally jizmed over her the whole race.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is pretty much spec racing any more.

In a circle.  Spectacular.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Engine blocks are required to have a makers part number on them. You can buy the bare unmachined block at least from Ford and Chevrolet (The R07/8/9 series), dunno about Toyota.

TRD (Toyota racing development now builds the Toyota engines, for a while Joe Gibbs racing did their own). Hendrick builds all the Hendrick engines and leases them out as well, in the 500 12 cars raced with a Hendrick engine. Rousch/Yates builds all of the Ford engines. Earnhart/Ganassi have a partnership with Childress now I believe.

There's only a handful of actual engine builders left in NASCAR. One reason Dodge is out is when Penske left Dodge there was no team to pick up that had their own in house engine program.

The new generation cars are mostly costmetic changes. Some are still built on the old chassis but they have mandated the addition of a 2 new bars inside the cage to support the front halo under the top of the windshield. So you could build a new chassis and body or hang a new body on an old modified chassis.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#21]

If I want to see a race... this is what I go see.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]
NASCAR sucks. F1 sucks. Drifting sucks.

I'd much rather spend the day autocrossing a Miata or S2K than watching any of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I would totally watch 70's vintage rules and cars over the current NASCAR.  I liked NASCAR when NASCAR wasn't cool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would totally watch 70's vintage rules and cars over the current NASCAR.  I liked NASCAR when NASCAR wasn't cool.

Yep.  I've been following racing for over 40 years, and NASCAR stopped being about racing in the late 80's.  Now it's more about "branding" and "personalities", not racing.  The British Touring Car Championship and the Australian Supercars are what NASCAR used to be like, recognizable cars, great competition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top