Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2002 6:32:45 PM EDT
Why not?  What would be wrong with that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
i woudl only support it if they were allowed to ruthlessly mow down any illegal crossers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not?

Becuase we already have US Customs, INS, Canada and Mexico guarding the borders. That's why.

IMO, the use of armed US Soldiers (who will do ANYTHING they are ordered to do) would be a bad thing...One more notch on the bedpost of the Police State.

Not only would they prevent bad guys from coming in, they would eventually prevent you from getting out.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it does seem to me that the Constitution mentions something about the military protecting our borders (not boarder).  For all those who want to yell 'posse comatatus' and how it pertains to internal matters, this would not be an internal matter, they would be directed outward.  I am all for them manning the borders and wasting anyone trying to sneak in.  After all, it is our border and we should not worry about what any other country thinks about how we treat their citizens trying to enter illegally.  After all, they will punish our citizens for breaking their laws and raise hell if we say anything about it.  Hell, they even give shelter to some of our citizens being sought for murder, re that creep, Ira Langhorn I think, from Philly who fled to France (fuck'em) after murdering his girlfriend and stuffing her in a trunk and they won't give him up because of the death penalty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
[b]U.S. troops defending OUR boarders[/b]

Uh.....isnt that what they are for?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew a guy that shot up a boat full of Cubans with an M60/M240 after one of them fired on him with rifle. Needless to say no survivors were recovered.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The cost would break us in short order- it's just not feasible.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The cost would break us in short order- it's just not feasible.
View Quote

Hell, most troops just spend time on base drilling.  There would really not be much in an increase in costs and you are not increasing the number of personnel, just redeploying them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the problems regardless of who patrols our borders is that we have so many of them. A very large percentage of our borders are water accessible. When you throw in the water accessible part of our Navigable waterways you can see that it is nearly impossible to secure them. To adequately patrol our borders (forget for a second who it is, military, Border Patrol, INS, Coast Guard, Local Police...) will require not 25-35,000 additional bodies but hundreads of thousands of bodies. Even if we did decide to devote the resources needed for that task, there are still the inland airports and hidden access (bodies in containers, people overstaying visas, no way to track continental movement) issues that need to be addressed.

The fact is, until we are willing to accept some method of identifying who IS a citizen, it will be nearly immpossible to detect illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That "just spending time on base drilling" is not BS, it is the high quality and intense traing that our forces undergo during peacetime that enables them to win battles during time of war.

Start taking them away from the training for the combat mission and you will degrade thier combat effectivness rapidly.

Spend the $$ on real border patrol agents, don't send troops to do a job that is going to cost thier lives when they enter a combat zone poorly trained.
View Quote

Well, I didn't mean it like you took it.  I just think that in between training, they could be manning the border.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
What about the national guard? seems that the weekend warrior is more than capable to handle the task at hand.

Plus I don't think they really want to protect the Mexican border all to heavy for some reason unknown to me.

PS I think the cost would be small in comparison to the cost of a dirty bomb or
bio threat. Look at the cost of 911
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I disagree with the 'cost' issue...I think it would be cheaper to have those troops stationed in CONUS rather than overseas...if we have troops stationed in a country that doesn't support our policies, fine, bring them home...on a flip side, I was stationed in Germany when the Green Party wanted all US troops out of Germany, but wanted us to leave AFN!!! Can hardly blame them, German FM radio truly sucked....
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
It won't work--borders are just one place where illegals enter.  The US is surrounded by an awful lot of water you know.  Despite the best efforts of the drug warriors, drugs are still plentiful.  What does this teach us?  

If illegal immigration is the problem, the solution is to end the welfare state that encourages the flow of immigrants.  Better yet, repeal the stupid, unenforceable immigration laws!  After all, I am not xenophobic--I frankly don't care how many Mexicans come over to the US, I just don't want to pay for their upkeep.  

Using troops in this capacity is just a police state in the making.  It won't be long before it is clear that "troops on borders" in ineffective, and troops would then be stationed all over the place.  Operation "Drop-In" in Michigan mentioned above is a good example--now we have US troops fighting the drug war on US soil.  Where will it ever end except with US troops stationed in your town?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]
It is a good idea. Most countries use there armies to patrol their borders. It has been this way since the dawn of civilization. Customs/Border Patrol, these are ill-managed and often money pits.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I already have 'US Troops" stationed in my home town....
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Its silly.

It is not cost effective.

It is a GREAT way to reduce troop morale.

It is much better done by a professionally run police force (not the one we have now).

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Why would US troops be defending the guy who's renting my basement?
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Nazi Troops were pretty good at keeping people within thier borders..

Your Papers plz..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top