Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2001 6:41:13 PM EDT
I'm putting together a Rem. PSS LTR .308 setup and am debating whether to buy a Harris bipod, or simply shoot off a bag.  The rifle is strictly for the range and will be shot off a bench.  Is it worth putting a bipod on or not?  

If so, which height?  6-9" or 9-13"???  Which model numbers?

All feedback will be GREATLY appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
if just off a bench, get a rabbit ear bag, and have at it!, I only use my harris bipod (6-9") on my AR for dirt crawling, camoflage, on the ground, varmint blasting! got 20 wild dogs last week!
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Winchester Model 70 Larado w/ the BOSS system, etc....and bought a harris bipod along with my set-up. They are really well bulit, but usin them is a major pain in the butt! IMHO, it is easier to use bags to shoot from.This allows you more leeway to do what you want to do in order to get the most out of your new rig.  The only time that I have ever used a pod is in the prone and even then, a rucksack is the way to go.
If you would like to have a bipod, in the event that you may actually use your rifle in that setting someday, then go ahead.
Otherwise, they get in the way and are generally a pain in the butt. Spend the money on some ammo and forget about the 'pod. You will be the better marksman for it. After all it is about the quality of your shooting that matters, not the fashion show that alot of other "shooters" are caught up in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
i'd go with one as they are easy to remove and put on,go with the harris
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you will "strictly" be using this weapon at a range, then go with bags.

I have a Harris bipod on my Rem 700 Sendero, but I rarely shoot at ranges.  I do my shooting at a relative's ranch, mostly against varmits and ad hoc targets.  The bipod comes in very handy then.  But if you will only be target shooting at a range, bags are more stable.

That is of course unless you want to look really cool... Then go with the bipod.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
GO Directly to the Millet sight and get their rifle rests. The back one fits inside the front one for space saving they are excellent range rests. They work well with the pistol too.They where like $40.00. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Off the bench:

Always use the sandbags. The use of slow-video shows that the steel/aluminum legs bounce and 'dance' during firing. The effect begins before the bullet has even cleared the muzzle's crown, thus effecting accuracy.

Also, I have [b]never[/b] seen a benchrest shooter using a bi-pod. A pi-pod it just an alternative to sandbags. It would look silly to see a tactical shooter carrying around a pair of sandbags and a cast-iron front bag support. But the bi-pod is better than nothing. Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say go with the Harris. They can be taken off easily and can be use for another gun with the proper adaptor. Like one of the poster said you cannot take the sand bag around if you decide to somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The trick to decent groups off the bench is to get the gun to recoil in the same manner each shot. A bag will do this, so will a tripod rest. A Harris won't because even though it's pretty rigid, it's no where as rigid as a bag or tripod rest.

I'm shooting a Rem. 700 Police with a bipod. So far the bipod doesn't get used. I use cross sticks for yotes, Sinclair tripod for the bench. Hard to find a rock the right height for a pod. And you can't see over the sage while lying prone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been pondering a simular question myself.  I want to put a long lenght bipod on my Steyer SBS.  I want a long one so when I'm sitting on the ground I can hold the rifle at the shoulder level w/o going to the prone position.  Harris makes the longest bipod I've found so far, but the Versa pod is the one I think I will go with.  It can clip on and off.  For a benchrest only rifle I agree with some of the others, use sand bags they are much more steady.
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a Harris bipod.  You'll have it to test accuracy vs. bags with; use it for photos and it'll look cool.
Otherwise, you can just shoot off the bags or the Millett rests.
I'd rather have it and not need it than...
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
PowderBurns:

I have been thinking about getting some cross sticks.  What brand do you have?  How much do they help your accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
PPD........go bi-pod and rear bag,stick your scope cover under bi-pod....be as low to the ground as possible to maintain good cheek weld.
go w/model sl...the one that articulates so as to get the cant out when going for those 1000yd.shots
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a Harris 9-13 on my PSS, if I am sighting it in I still use sand bags because it does bounce.  Even if you are never going to use it in the field and just bench rest the rifle I would still recomend one.  The bipod will always give you something to set the rifle on, so you will never have to lay it on it's side in the dirt etc.  Just my $00.02!!

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top