Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2002 10:42:26 AM EDT
What I want to know, who is their distributor/vender?

I've heard active duty can buy them at some BX's, but my BX doesn't sell them.

My local BX:
Me: "Can you special order stuff?"
BX lady: "Yes, we special order stuff. What do you want?"
Me: "'M16 Cartridges', I have the NSN, P/N and SKU numbers, if that helps."
BX lady: "That's would be in hunting equipment."
Me: "They're aren't any there."
BX lady: "If it's not on the shelf, we don't sell it." [rolleyes]

Different BX while on leave:
Me: "Can you special order stuff?"
BX lady: "What do you want?"
Me: "Aluminum containers." ([;)])
BX lady: "I'll give you the "Special Orders"
number and you can order it through them.
Me: "Okay, thank you."

Special Orders:
Me: "I'd like to order 'M16 Cartridges'.  I have the NSN, SKU, and P/N numbers."
SOs: "Who makes them?"
Me: (guessing) "Center Industries."
SOs: "We have no listing for Center Industries."
Me: "I have the NSN, SKU, and P/N numbers.  Can't I order using those?"
SOs : "I need to know the vender."
Me: "You mean like the distributor?"
SOs: "Yes."

So, who's the vender/distributor the military(BX) buys them from?

Thanks! [:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#1]
i think they get them directly from Playboy, Penthouse, OUI and Bigguns[:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
First you gotta start calling things by their correct names.

You're not looking for M16 cartridges, you are looking for M16/M4 MAGAZINES.

Not sure if they'll let you order through the post exchange, but at least if you know the right thing to ask for, you might get a definitive answer.

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Publisher's Clearinghouse.

This way, when Ed McMahan comes to the door with the big check, they can maybe fund the OICWS project. [:D]

Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How old are you?  Are you a dependent?
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you look closely, I put quotation marks around M16 Cartridge.  That is what they were given for a name at a partcular BX, I didn't name them.  I used "aluminum container" the 3rd time asking for them because I think M16 was scaring the BX workers from helping me.  Besides, if I was going to use the NSN, P/N and/or SKU numbers to order them, the name wasn't that important.

QCMGR,  26 and no, I'm not a dependent.  What does that have to do with anything? [:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never heard of the BX/PX or any other outlet selling magazines direct.
View Quote

I've heard differently, as long as your active duty you can buy them.

I haven't gotten a real "no" from anybody saying that they can't order them for me, only the one lady from Special Orders even tried and I just didn't have the right information to give her.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you look closely, I put quotation marks around M16 Cartridge.  That is what they were given for a name at a partcular BX, I didn't name them.  I used "aluminum container" the 3rd time asking for them because I think M16 was scaring the BX workers from helping me.  Besides, if I was going to use the NSN, P/N and/or SKU numbers to order them, the name wasn't that important.

QCMGR,  26 and no, I'm not a dependent.  What does that have to do with anything? [:)]
View Quote

I could not figure out if you were f-cking with them or a little kid.  Why not give them the NSN: for a tank or a helicopter.  Unless you are not joking then solicitation of a restricted item is against the UCMJ.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I could not figure out if you were f-cking with them or a little kid.  Why not give them the NSN: for a tank or a helicopter.  Unless you are not joking then solicitation of a restricted item is against the UCMJ.
View Quote

If the other BX was selling tanks or helicopter and I had the money for either, maybe I would. [:P]

Also, if the other BX is selling them to active duty, why can't my BX sell them to me?

If I was a Military Policeman and went to a certain gunstore I could buy them there.  I was never issued a shiny badge, so I must have no reason for them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I doubt if you can buy them for yourself. They are all now stamped "law enforcement / military only" anyway and you wouldn't be able to keep them as a civilian. Just take the pre-94 non-stamped ones you may be issued and claim to lose them (still have to pay for it though). Just go to a damn gun show and buy some pre-ban ones, they arent as expensive as others (FN, Galil, etc.) because there are a zillion of them out there. Your'e making this harder than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am active duty military. I looked into this and was told military members cannot purchase LEO/military mags. The Unit itself can purchase them, but an individual member cannot purchase them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I doubt if you can buy them for yourself.
View Quote

I've heard differently.

Your'e making this harder than it needs to be.
View Quote

I tend to do that. [:)]

-Note-  Does anyone else notice all the irony on this site. (If you think you know what I'm talking about, discuss it, I'm not going to go into detail without others.) I've noticed this a lot before but never said anything about it, but since this is my post I'll throw it out there and see what happens.

I shouldn't have asked this question, I knew what responses I was going to get(minus the "playboy, penthouse, OUI..." ones, though I should have [;)]), but I figured, why not?  I'm not sure how this will end, so I won't delete this thread quite yet.

Man, this is interesting... I should go to college to study human behavior!

Oh yeah, don't let the above paragraphs distract anyone from the original question.  

Thanks! [:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am active duty military. I looked into this and was told military members cannot purchase LEO/military mags. The Unit itself can purchase them, but an individual member cannot purchase them.
View Quote

See, I haven't been told that yet... from someone that has the authority to get them for me.  

Sure, the ar15.comers tell me "you can't do that" and "that's illegal", but the BX people haven't told me that.  Sure, the BX people say they can't order them, but they didn't even look for me, so how can I truely believe them... maybe they're just blowing me off.  Maybe they're not, but I'm going to think they are until someone gives me a rock solid "NO!"

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Just swipe some next time you have to go through refreshers on an M16 ;) just kidding. I was in the military also and never heard of anything like this. The only "military weapon" I ever saw for sale by AAFES was an M9 bayonette at the military clothing sales store on post.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

See, I haven't been told that yet... from someone that has the authority to get them for me.  
[:)]
View Quote

I spoke to several FFL's in my area, and LEO's. I tihnk it is stupid too. But the official word i got, is an individual can not own them. The unit can purchase, but not the individual. Now....an MP or SF might be able to... since they are a sworn law enforcement officer. But your standard grunt or airman can't buy the mags. IF you find any hard core evidence to the contrary, let me know. I'd love to pick up a LEO Beta-C in case i get deployed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]

The lowest bidder ...
[usa]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If the other BX was selling tanks or helicopter and I had the money for either, maybe I would. [:P]

Also, if the other BX is selling them to active duty, why can't my BX sell them to me?

If I was a Military Policeman and went to a certain gunstore I could buy them there.  I was never issued a shiny badge, so I must have no reason for them.
View Quote

I used to work for DLA (Defense Logistics Agency).  The reason you cannot is because the FAR's (Federal Acquisition Regulations) prohibit this type of transaction.  As NAM eluded to these magazines are not authorized for individual use and are part of a units TO&E.  If someone at a BX is selling them tell us to who and where and you will probably find they are authorized to posses them.   A more accurate statement is a civilian cannot posses them.  So if you are on active duty you could use them but once you left active service you would need to turn them in.  (If you were in the active reserve or became an LEO you could probably still posses them).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top