Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2002 10:53:21 AM EDT
Okay, I considering changing my major to History, cause I really like the subject. But besides teaching, what can you do with a history degree? Any history majors/grads here?

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Museum curator pops to mind, historian is another...

Almost majored in History in college - instead, took enough classes to be dangerous.  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not get a minor in history and keep your major?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i'm a history grad student now. i dont think thee's a whole lot of work for historians, but you gotta do what you gotta do. i quit a 20-year career in IT to do it. i work in the county archive. we preserve, organize, and make documents available to the county and to the public, mostly people wanting to know when great, great, great, great grandpa died, and who got the farm.
historians preserve historic sites, teach, write, run museums, go into politics, etc. competition is stiff. dont expect to get rich or famous. if you love history and would do it anyway, go for it. otherwise, sell used cars, go to business school or study network admnin.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  Cal State Northridge.

Now a "retired" naval officer working for a consulting firm just outside Washington DC.

I don't use my degree much, but the great general education that I got in school and the fantastic insight I got studying mankind has been wonderful for me throughout my life.

One thing I have learned.  Man doesn't change over the millenia, only our technology.  We are essentially the same folks today as walked the streets of Ur in Mesopotamia some 4100 years ago...or in Egypt about the same time.  The same things drive us as drove them: greed, love, lust, phobias, hatred, power...its all the same.  For that reason, we keep repeating ourselves historically; differently, but on a theme.

I love history...but I do admit it won't pay the bills.

There are alternative paths to get your degree in history and to success and wealth if that is what you desire, if you are willing to pay the price early on.

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You can go to law school! [:D]

I did, as a History and English, double major.

BTW, the English helped me a lot more than the History part ever did in law school!

Forget political science, it doesn't help you as much as you would think!

Eric The(JurisDoctor)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]

History is considered a good basis for advanced studies such as law.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
A cop? Worked for me.

Unless you want to teach, can put up with communist indoctrination, can deal with the fact that everyone hates you becuase you are a white male (assuming that is the case), and you can taake everything you are taught with a bucket of salt, then History may not be the major for you. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done something in Business or Engineering.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay, I considering changing my major to History, cause I really like the subject. But besides teaching, what can you do with a history degree? Any history majors/grads here?

View Quote

Yeah, I was a History Major...I do nothig related to histoy now.

But to answer your question...LAW SCHOOL!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
History is good for law, teaching, etc.

It's also good if you're a lazy Mechanical Engineer.

Going from MechE to History meant going from a shit load of out of class hours a week working, to two or three out of class hours a week.

I may not get paid later on in life, but I get to sleep in and shoot a lot now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can go to law school! [:D]

I did, as a History and English, double major.

BTW, the English helped me a lot more than the History part ever did in law school!

Forget political science, it doesn't help you as much as you would think!

Eric The(JurisDoctor)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Oh my Lord, you have the same credentials as my father.....oh now, Are U my father???...LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top