Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:47 AM EDT
We are opening a dog boarding facility and we want to climate control 20 5 x 5 doghouses.  I need a small unit that won't cycle quickly and blow out.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Are these dog houses out in the open or are they cages inside of a building?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Boiler type heating?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried that once.  I thought my dog would enjoy a little heat in her house but she refused to go in it with the heat on.  It wasn't hot, just enough to take the chill off.  She would rather lay in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
These will be individual outside doghouses.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think heating will be a problem.  You could probably do some kind of radiant floor heating and cooling with a PEX pipe system.  However, if you're talking about serious cooling, then a ducted a/c system might be in order.  If you could keep the sun off the doghouses during the summer that would help a lot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
PEX would work.  Heating with it is easy, cooling is a problem.  Thanks, by the way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Cooling could be with an immersion cooler, pump, and thermostat.  Shoot holes in this please.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You could cool with a mini split ductless system which has one condenser but several evaporators.

The probelm you would run into would be evaporator freeze up due to humidity, this would require some sort of self closing door or plastic curtain to keep the humidity at bay.

It would work and there are split systems out there that can handle many evaporators with one condenser/compressor.

Your in OK so I am assuming humidity may be be high in the summer depending on your location and the split system set up would remove the heat from the shelters but also get rid of some of the moisture in the air. You would have to insulate these shelters pretty good and I would ensure you had easy maintenance access for the evaporator units. The moisture would come out of the evaporator units drip hose.

Once installed properly as long as you conduct preventive maintenance you should have little problems.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cooling could be with an immersion cooler, pump, and thermostat.  Shoot holes in this please.

Could be done buy you would would still collect moisture on the coils in the shelters. You would need to have a condisate drip pan to make sure you didnt get the floor wet in each one. If what I am thinking of is what you are refering to.

If you have a dry climate during the summer you could use a swamp cooler.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, we used immersion coolers all the time in the laboratory to chill reactions (I'm a chemist not an HVAC guy).  In all the years we've used them, I don't think I've ever had one fail, and some of them are kept running almost all the time.  So that may be a good way to go.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
AC means cooling and reducing humidity of the air.  Since they are all the same size, the best bet would be to run ducts to each house from a central unit.  Of course this means a return air system but that can be the outer covering of the duct work.

Now, for a central unit. Use a regular home unit, use the return air for the thermostat.  Use dampers on  the supply side for individual control.

I suppose the dog houses have flap doors.  That would cut down on waste.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top