Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 10:40:37 AM EDT
A friend of my parents bought an old house at auction a couple months back. In the basement, there is a sectioned of room with what looks like a bank vault style door. They want to take it out to open up the basement. The house was built in the 1940's, but the door is not nearly that old. My parents friends told me I could have the door if I tore it out and hauled it off. I haven't seen it personally but this is what I know:

1. The door does seem to work but they cannot find combo for it.
2. The door frame is full of concrete. It apparently has "pour holes" in certain spots that concrete is pumped into. So I have to figure a way to bust out the concrete inside of a steel tube type frame. Without damaging it.
3. The door alone is probably 300lbs.
4. Approx size is 4.5'x8' (door alone) plus frame.

Is it worth the trouble to move this out? I'd love to have it but not sure if its worth the effort. I'm hopefully going to check it out later this evening. I'll try to take some pics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this gonna be a safe thread?  Cause if so...

DAY 1
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

DAY 1

Not a safe thread. Just a big ass door. Nothing inside room except old boxes of worthless trash.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Panic room?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAY 1

Not a safe thread. Just a big ass door. Nothing inside room except old boxes of worthless trash.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Call Geraldo!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If the door alone is as big as you say, it's weighs more than you think. You will still have to get it out of the basement. When the door and frame are removed from the wall, will the wall still be supported?  Google vault doors and see what a new one costs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Its gotta have a name plate on it. Look it up at the manufacturers website.

Saw cut the concrete around the frame to remove.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Panic room?

That's what I'm assuming. Was kinda what I wanted to use it for as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the door alone is as big as you say, it's weighs more than you think. You will still have to get it out of the basement. When the door and frame are removed from the wall, will the wall still be supported?  Google vault doors and see what a new one costs.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. What's the thickness? Using your width and height a 1/4" thick steel plate weighs 367lbs.

http://www.hibid.co.uk/metcalc/metcalc.html
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't waist your time. You could buy a new one cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I was going to put a vault door on my all concrete basement room. Still might some day but just a door was around 5-6K I just bought a big ass safe instead....
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the problem. I've not seen it first hand but this is kinda what was explained to me. The door frame is apparently two pieces.  Somehow they are tack welded together (not a problem to remove) but also contains large bolts that exit the frame from the inside into more concrete that makes up the walls.when installed the frame was set into opening. The bolts where then installed through "pour holes" into concrete walls. Then concrete was poured inside frame covering all the bolts. This is why I'm thinking it may of be worth it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
About to go check it out right now. I'll post pics ASAP. But apparently the guy said "we would talk about price" So I'm kinda thinking ill pass.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Removing vault was never intended to be impossible, just difficult. You could get a Makita 40 lb. chipping gun and break the concrete to free up the door frame. It will take a few days, be a mess, loud and dusty, but certainly do-able. How much is your time worth? How much of a hurry are they in to remove it?

You need to actually put "eyes on" before committing to anything.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

About to go check it out right now. I'll post pics ASAP. But apparently the guy said "we would talk about price" So I'm kinda thinking ill pass.

Definitely pass unless its free. Your going to spend some time and money removing it. Fuck that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Go there with the attitude that he will pay you to remove it. Have a safe moving company give you a price and add a percentage on for yourself.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely pass unless its free. Your going to spend some time and money removing it. Fuck that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#18]
If the description is accurate, the door will weigh way more than 300. My gun safe door is around 2x5 and it weighs 250.
I would plan for a thousand pound move before you get too far involved.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the problem. I've not seen it first hand but this is kinda what was explained to me. The door frame is apparently two pieces.  Somehow they are tack welded together (not a problem to remove) but also contains large bolts that exit the frame from the inside into more concrete that makes up the walls.when installed the frame was set into opening. The bolts where then installed through "pour holes" into concrete walls. Then concrete was poured inside frame covering all the bolts. This is why I'm thinking it may of be worth it.

Wow, I wonder what these people had in their basement...

I'm gonna have to vote "more time and hassle then it's worth" unless you're looking for a cool project.

ETA:  definitely not if it isn't free.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Can you get some good pictures?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#21]
To break the concrete you might look into dexpan.  It is a non-explosive demolition tool.  A whole lot less dust and dirt than trying saw cut it.  Post pics man!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Call Geraldo!

i lol'd
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, I wonder what these people had in their basement...

I'm gonna have to vote "more time and hassle then it's worth" unless you're looking for a cool project.

ETA:  definitely not if it isn't free.

No idea what was down there. There is actually 2 homes on the property. The other house was built in the 1850s.  Really nice house actually for the age.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm heading that way now. Riding out to the place with dad since he knows where it is. It's about 30 minutes away but ill get some up by 5:00pm EST. I won't let you guys down!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]
To remove:  Open the door and wedge it up so the weight is off the hinges. The hinge pins are on roller bearings probably held in from the bottom with Allen screws.  Remove them and drive the hinge pins out. Move the door out of the way. There are dollys that lift and carry the door in an upright position. Cover everything in the room with plastic sheeting. Cut the concrete with a wet saw. Make 2 cuts over the top of the door so that it can be laid down. Put plywood, old tires, timbers on the floor where this will happen. Use an electric hammer with a chisel to knock the concrete off the frame. Now comes the fun part, getting it all out of the basement.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok just checked this project out. Think I'm gonna pass. Looking at a total weight of 800-900lbs with frame. Just don't have the ability to get it installed. I got  some pics for you guys. Ill go ahead and say they aren't great, but you get the idea. It's not in a basement but in an addition on the first floor. Uploading pics now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Outside frame. Surrounded by brick.

Door is about 4'x6' and about 4" thick at least.

Frame is actually 3 peices. They lock together inside and outside. They then filled with concrete on top of inside bolts. You can see one outside bolt hole in bottom of pic.

They had a locksmith guy looking at it when I got there. I asked him quietly between him and me what it was worth. He said it wasn't worth anything more than free. He said it was a huge undertaking. Oh well. At least I tried.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Hell I would say give it a try. Door should lift straight up off the hinges. May take a few guys but shouldn't be too bad. The frame may be more work but I would give it a shot. Hell if I was in your state I would come give you a hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top