Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 9:16:54 AM EDT
Financial Times

Demonstration video

Chimpanzees can far outperform humans in some mental tasks, including rapidly memorising and recalling numbers, Japanese scientists have shown.

At the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting, Tetsuro Matsuzawa, of Kyoto University’s Primate Research Institute, showed remarkable videos of chimpanzees displaying mental dexterity that would be way beyond most people.

The star performer among the institute’s 14 chimpanzees, a 12-year-old male called Ayumu, has learnt all the numerals from 1 to 19. Several other Kyoto chimpanzees have learnt 1 to 9.

When the numbers flash up in random places across a computer screen and in random order, and disappear after less than a second, the apes can point immediately to the exact locations where the numerals had been, in the correct numerical order.

Prof Matsuzawa said a few exceptional people, such as those with savant syndrome, might be capable of such memory feats but they are far beyond the average human brain. “One person in several thousand may be able to do this,” he said. “All the chimps I have tested can do it.”

ETA:

Click on this link to watch a chimpanzee take the test and then take the test yourself.

I am terrible.  Probably because I am old.  I am sure I could have done better when I was younger.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump to top so that you can take the test that was added.

Are you smarter than a chimpanzee?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They dont have as much stuff to remember. Do you know how many passwords I have to try and recall at any one time? Stupid poo flinging hominids.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

'Smarter' may not be the right way of thinking about it.

Having a smaller and less complex brain may mean that a greater portion of their relative 'thinking' capacity is available for rote memory tasks.

They're chimps, for cryin' out loud, what do they have to be distracted by - bananas and pussy?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Smarter' may not be the right way of thinking about it.

Having a smaller and less complex brain may mean that a greater portion of their relative 'thinking' capacity is available for rote memory tasks.

They're chimps, for cryin' out loud, what do they have to be distracted by - bananas and pussy?  

Maybe I am not the only human who did poorly on the test.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got 6 right 2 out of 3 attempts, the trick is focus on one part of the screen untill your eyes adjust to the black, then click the circle and dont move your eyes, when the white boxes cover the numbers you can still see the numbers untill the receptors in your eyes reset.

I'm guessing chimps eyes are slower to adjust then ours, either that or if I did it every day for hours like a lab monkey does I bet I could get them all right. I only tried 3 times.

Got 8 my 10th or so try, take that you monkey! I did as well as you in under 20 minutes
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I did pretty bad. I will contemplate the intelligence of chimps while I fly in a fucking airplane and play solitaire on my fucking laptop.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Stealth RMP intelligence thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I got 5 correct.
Maybe I'm just trying to justify myself, but this same ape has memorized numbers up to 19, while at the age of 7 I would lay in bed and count when I couldn't sleep. I think I hit 2k or 3k a few times.
Raptors can see many times better and with greater clarity than us.
Cats and many other animals have better reflexes.
Their bodies and minds are wired differently and in some cases they are wired to a specific advantage over that which we have as humans.
I don't think that that makes them smarter than us in any fashion, it just means that they were created with certain needs and in some cases they need to have better abilities.

I don't know why the chimps would have this particular advantage, but I'm sure it plays into their survival in some way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't know why the chimps would have this particular advantage, but I'm sure it plays into their survival in some way.

Getting it right = food
Getting it wrong = no food

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Who is holding the other species in cages?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If man evolved from apes, monkeys and chimps... Why do apes, monkeys and chimps still exist?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just 'cause that ape is smarter than you are doesn't mean he's better than you are. That's the way I like to think about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If man evolved from apes, monkeys and chimps... Why do apes, monkeys and chimps still exist?

I mean this in the friendliest way possible, believe me, but, you don't know much, do you?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
First time thru got 5 right.   Or should I say, Huurrrrrrr  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The test didn't seem to be at all about memory, at least on my browser the numbers only flashed for a fraction of a second, I was hard pressed to see them let alone remember them.

Now if you gave me 50 things to remember, I could within 2 minutes remember them for at least a week.  I doubt chimpo or whatever could do that.

It's a luminosity marketing ploy
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Chimpanzees can far outperform humans in some mental tasks, including rapidly memorising and recalling numbers, Japanese scientists have shown.

So let them run for office. The current president does not understand and will never learn a damn thing about numbers. Congress to. It seems like they may just be lowr down the totem pole than chimps. Lets vote in a chimp to be the big banana. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Financial Times

Demonstration video

At the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting, Tetsuro Matsuzawa, of Kyoto University’s Primate Research Institute, showed remarkable videos of chimpanzees displaying mental dexterity that would be way beyond most people.

The star performer among the institute’s 14 chimpanzees, a 12-year-old male called Ayumu, has learnt all the numerals from 1 to 19. Several other Kyoto chimpanzees have learnt 1 to 9.

When the numbers flash up in random places across a computer screen and in random order, and disappear after less than a second, the apes can point immediately to the exact locations where the numerals had been, in the correct numerical order.

Prof Matsuzawa said a few exceptional people, such as those with savant syndrome, might be capable of such memory feats but they are far beyond the average human brain. “One person in several thousand may be able to do this,” he said. “All the chimps I have tested can do it.”

ETA:

Click on this link to watch a chimpanzee take the test and then take the test yourself.

I am terrible.  Probably because I am old.  I am sure I could have done better when I was younger.

I can't visually take them all in before they disappear.  This makes it quite possible that the chimp doesn't have a better short term memory but a better ability to take in visual information quickly...a handy feature for swinging through the trees.  Birds are like this too...very fast on the visual pick-up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Best I have done so far is 7 out of 8, with practice I could get 8 out of 8 consistently.  I stopped trying to look at them sequentially and just see a picture and it got much easier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best I have done so far is 7 out of 8, with practice I could get 8 out of 8 consistently.  I stopped trying to look at them sequentially and just see a picture and it got much easier.

There's 10 total
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Chimps understand numbers?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chimps understand numbers?

Most likely they understand the symbols and idea of order, but not the underlying mathematical meaning.

Actually, I believe this is why it is easier for a chimp than a human.  They look at the screen as one big image, we try to separate out and count the numbers.  Once you start looking at it as just a picture, you'll get 8/10 without an issue.  I was getting 9 or 10/10 consistently after about 8 tries with a little practice.

And no one was feeding me when I got it right either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We didn't evolve from chimps,we have a common ancestor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Chimps also have huge egos and never forget even the smallest slight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I have no doubt about this. As one who works with rhesus monkeys on a daily basis doing behavioral research, I can tell you these little fuckers are smart. I can tell you that even some of the smartest people get confused with the task that my animals can do. I watch them do it all day, everyday, and they can out perform me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't evolve from chimps,we have a common ancestor.

Chimps actually have a longer and more complex gene, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have no doubt about this. As one who works with rhesus monkeys on a daily basis doing behavioral research, I can tell you these little fuckers are smart. I can tell you that even some of the smartest people get confused with the task that my animals can do. I watch them do it all day, everyday, and they can out perform me.

The rote memory skills of the so-called 'lower' primates may actually be a better survival strategy over the long term than human cognitive intelligence.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Cant be correct !!! obviously they can't remember how bad crap taste because they keep eating it over and over again
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

if you descended from your parents, why do your parents still exist?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The test didn't seem to be at all about memory, at least on my browser the numbers only flashed for a fraction of a second, I was hard pressed to see them let alone remember them.

Now if you gave me 50 things to remember, I could within 2 minutes remember them for at least a week.  I doubt chimpo or whatever could do that.

It's a luminosity marketing ploy

Yeah, I had the same problem.

As fast as it flashed I was picking up 2-3 maybe the fourth number.

I was able to pass them by process of elimination more so than even knowing what most of the numbers were.

I would rather have my plethora of skills, reason of mind, and abilities vs. that one special memorization skill.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#30]
how long have they been training the chimps to do this? I bet humans trained for the same amount of time would do better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

how long have they been training the chimps to do this? I bet humans trained for the same amount of time would do better.

read the source paper:

In human subjects, the percentage of correct trials decreased as a function of the hold duration: the shorter the duration became, the worse the accuracy was (Video clip 5). Ai's performance was below that of the human subjects' average, and showed the same tendency to worsen with shorter duration. From the very first session, however, Ayumu's performance remained at almost the same level, regardless of the hold duration, showing no decline comparable to that of the other subjects (Video clip 6, and Figure S2 in the Supplemental data). These data showed that the chimpanzee subjects can memorize at a glance the Arabic numerals scattered on the touch screen monitor and Ayumu outperformed all of the human subjects both in speed and accuracy.

Our results may be reminiscent of the phenomenon known as ‘eidetic imagery’ found by Jaensch [9] and [10]. Eidetic imagery has been defined as the memory capability to retain an accurate, detailed image of a complex scene or pattern. It is known to be present in a relatively high percentage of normal children, and then the ability declines with age. Our present study shows that young chimpanzees can quickly grasp many numerals at a glance, with no decline in performance as the hold duration is varied. Moreover, the young ones showed better performance than adults in the memory task. Our study shows that young chimpanzees have an extraordinary working memory capability for numerical recollection better than that of human adults. The results fit well with what we know about the eidetic imagery in humans.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top