Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2013 4:29:56 AM EDT
You often see people say, "I was a libtard back in college, but once I started working in the real world, I changed my tune and became a republican". Personally, Ive never seen the opposite happen, someone who's a republican then see's the dark side and goes libtard. Is this because Im from a pretty red state or does anyone actually know someone who's done this?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe Arianna Huffington did.

David Frum.

Nobody personally though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

David Frum.

I believe that was more a business decision on her part. In my opinion that makes her more of a stupid vapid cunt cause she's willing to sell out her morals for a buck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy who searved proudly in the Navy and was, I always felt, on the conservative side and he's now an unabashed liberal. So dad
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Justice Souter?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
My Sister  Our Dad raised us the correct way with a very strong foundation of personal responsibility and accountability.  She went off to college to become a teacher and I remember her saying how she probably won't have much friends in the business since they are mostly liberals.  But after four years of indoctrination and eventually marrying a very liberal guy, she is now a hardcore liberal.  

She used to tear the ass out of liberal teachers in high school with solid reasoning and great articulation.  When she brings up politics now, she makes the same "emotion" arguments that are either flat out wrong or red herrings.   It sucks to see someone turn into that person.  My Dad is still scratching his head to this day wondering what the fuck happened.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You often see people say, "I was a libtard back in college, but once I started working in the real world, I changed my tune and became a republican". Personally, Ive never seen the opposite happen, someone who's a republican then see's the dark side and goes libtard. Is this because Im from a pretty red state or does anyone actually know someone who's done this?

How much difference is there between a Republican and a liberal?  Maybe between a conservative and a liberal.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Michael Bloomberg?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Chief Justice Roberts?

I don't know any personally, but I would not be surprised to find some that find themselves on government benefits to develop an attraction for being paid to do nothing. It may be unpopular to say so, but I bet some number of arfcommers vote for liberal candidates/issues/funding for their particular govt assistance while espousing 2A beliefs (contradictory positions, IMHO).
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It usually happens when they retire and go on SS and Medicare.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"I was a libtard back in college, but once I started working in the real world, I changed my tune and became a republican".

Translation:
I thought government was great when I didn't have to pay for it. Now that I'm working, I want someone else to pay for it - preferably the Chinese.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chief Justice Roberts?

I don't know any personally, but I would not be surprised to find some that find themselves on government benefits to develop an attraction for being paid to do nothing. It may be unpopular to say so, but I bet some number of arfcommers vote for liberal candidates/issues/funding for their particular govt assistance while espousing 2A beliefs (contradictory positions, IMHO).

No need for that animation.

It is arguable Roberts is a concern.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
i know one... hes a confused puppy
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure where the quote come from, so I can't credit it properly but:

"Show me a young man who is a conservative, and I'll show you a man with no heart.
Show me an old man who is a liberal, and I'll show you a man with no brains."
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Arlen Specter
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Michael Bloomberg?  

No way. He was a Democrat then became a Republican in the wake of 9/11 to get elected on Rudy's coat tails then became an independent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Join a union.

I have a friend that joined the IBEW and went full tard in the first two years.

He's still pro-gun/pro 2A but everything else he's flipped 180 on.  I suspect another couple of years and the cult union will beat that out of him, too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Somewhat. I was raised in a far right Christian conservative home but have become libertarian in regards to religion, gays,abortion,cannabis etc. It's simply my view now that these things aren't for the gov't to decide.I will vote for  some and donate $ but I'm not a Republican,haven't been since 2000.

According to some in GD a small l libertarian is a liberal that likes guns but whatever. The GOP is in danger of entirely failing,look at how the establishment wants to shut up Ted Cruz for how much they actually value principle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#18]
because it is easier to get free stuff when your a lib instead of working for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It usually happens when they retire and go on SS and Medicare.  

This or they lose their job and go on "unemployment" for a couple of years. After awhile, they start to think they are owed "free" money indefinitely and go "rouge libtard" because it's easy to make a little on the side under the table, get govt freebies, and "unemployment" at the same time. Any mention of a reasonable time limit and they start foaming at the mouth and spouting crap that would make Lenin smile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Gabby Giffords and James Brady were each liberalized.

Even Ronald Reagan became more liberal his last few years (some called in Alzheimer's).

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My Sister  Our Dad raised us the correct way with a very strong foundation of personal responsibility and accountability.  She went off to college to become a teacher and I remember her saying how she probably won't have much friends in the business since they are mostly liberals.  But after four years of indoctrination and eventually marrying a very liberal guy, she is now a hardcore liberal.  

She used to tear the ass out of liberal teachers in high school with solid reasoning and great articulation.  When she brings up politics now, she makes the same "emotion" arguments that are either flat out wrong or red herrings.   It sucks to see someone turn into that person.  My Dad is still scratching his head to this day wondering what the fuck happened.

Head injury?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Somewhat. I was raised in a far right Christian conservative home but have become libertarian in regards to religion, gays,abortion,cannabis etc. It's simply my view now that these things aren't for the gov't to decide.I will vote for  some and donate $ but I'm not a Republican,haven't been since 2000.

According to some in GD a small l libertarian is a liberal that likes guns but whatever. The GOP is in danger of entirely failing,look at how the establishment wants to shut up Ted Cruz for how much they actually value principle.

If you believe in the 2A and don't vote for democrats who trash the 2A you are not a libtard.

I don't care what you call yourself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just look at the factions at odds with each other.  Besides the FSA being the majority popular vote in the last GE our party (Republican) cannot even stop with the bickering and bullshit long enough to look at the big picture.  Common ground needs to be found and fast or we will have already seen the last republican in the white house.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I have seen it happen a few times usually when people attain a certain net worth . I am talking in the 100 million + range.
At that point they have way more than they need and feel as though they can give back to soceity by engineering social change.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]

It usually happens with really wealthy Rs.

They start to feel guily and have the idea they don't 'deserve' their wealth and success.

Warren Buffet strikes me as an example.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:29:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Ed Shultz.  He decided that he could sell the liberal formula using the same methods Limbaugh uses to sell the conservative agenda.  I don't think he's the least bit sincere about it though.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"Show me a young man who is a conservative, and I'll show you a man with no heart.

If you aren't a liberal by the time you're 20 you don't have a heart If you aren't a conservative by the time you're 30 you don't have a brain.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#30]

Washington has a way of doing that to people, maybe it's the water.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Plenty of people have been bought off with the promise of easy living.  

This. Republicans also have a problem with resolving the Healthcare issue as well, it's why my BIL went from the republican party to the Democrat party, He's fucked up, but a  hard worker and couldn't get health insurance without being denied, when Obamacare passed he was able to buy affordable health insurance. Healthcare is a problem, but Obamacare was far from the solution.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#32]
It's probably the same reason why more people don't go from libertarian to Republican. They hear conservative principles articulated long before they ever hear libertarian ones. Most people are exposed to liberalism earlier than conservatism. Is there anybody in America who has never had the liberal cased presented to them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you aren't a liberal by the time you're 20 you don't have a heart If you aren't a conservative by the time you're 30 you don't have a brain.

I was never a faggoty liberal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You often see people say, "I was a libtard back in college, but once I started working in the real world, I changed my tune and became a republican Conservative". Personally, Ive never seen the opposite happen, someone who's a republican conservative then see's the dark side and goes libtard. Is this because Im from a pretty red state or does anyone actually know someone who's done this?

Fixed, half of the fucking Republicans are nothing but liberal Rinos.  Their ability to fool you has been a large part of our problem.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#35]
no one who works for a living and has bills to pay goes from conservative to liberal as they get older, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Hillary Clinton.
She was raised a conservative, was President of the Young Republicans in Wellesley College, and was a volunteer for the Barry Goldwater presidential campaign.
She went full retard later in college.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You often see people say, "I was a libtard back in college, but once I started working in the real world, I changed my tune and became a republican Conservative". Personally, Ive never seen the opposite happen, someone who's a republican conservative then see's the dark side and goes libtard. Is this because Im from a pretty red state or does anyone actually know someone who's done this?

Fixed, half of the fucking Republicans are nothing but liberal Rinos.  Their ability to fool you has been a large part of our problem.

At least those liberal RINO scumbags Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are history eh. Fuck king, kirk, christie, powell and crist.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I've read one writer who was a neocon Bush statist who went for Obama... but that made sense.  It was just a transition from progressive statist republican to progressive statist democrat leftist.

Both are closer to tyranny than freedom.

Republican to liberal isn't that big a step (charlie Crist, Arlen Specter, etc.) but conservative to leftist really is.

Quoted:
Ed Shultz.  He decided that he could sell the liberal formula using the same methods Limbaugh uses to sell the conservative agenda.  I don't think he's the least bit sincere about it though.

He didn't believe in being a conservative.  He may believe his own bullshit now, though - since it seems to work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a friend whose son was very conservative and has become a libtard after going to college.

I suspect the real world might revert him in due time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#40]
OP: There a few well known cases from the political world. Arianna Huffington, Andrew Sullivan, that asshole Joe whatthefuck from MSNBC. Hell, I'd wager that most GOP politicians in DC qualify.

Personally, I've known quite a few, mostly conversions during college.

Post college, the few I've known seem to have turned due to Bush hatred.

ETA: OP, your title is kinda screwy. You're assuming that Republican != liberal. The current party is pretty liberal when you look at them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I saw a strong Republican switch to a rabid liberal after he got addicted to online gambling and thought republicans were going to stop his addiction
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Michael Bloomberg?  

Michael Bloomberg was always a RINO, even back home in Newton, MA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Arlen Specter

was a political windsock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Join a union.

I have a friend that joined the IBEW and went full tard in the first two years.

He's still pro-gun/pro 2A but everything else he's flipped 180 on.  I suspect another couple of years and the cult union will beat that out of him, too.

This.

The only guy I know who went from conservative to liberal lost his job and his wife and works for the Post Office now

I think it's more of an emotional reaction, but it's weird to see...

Speed

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Washington has a way of doing that to people, maybe it's the water.

I work for fed.gov. If anything, this former leftie has become even more conservative as a result of working around .gov employees. Some are VERY conservative, but many are the FSA in mind, if not in fact.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Some people grow up with a belief that they can achieve great things if they just work hard, apply themselves, etc. etc.

For some it works out. Others meet misfortune along the way and some experience the crony capitalism and political shenanigans that America is polluted with (from both sides of the political aisle).

Some of those who don't view themselves as a success (and that can be at all strata of income), inevitably figure that they are never going to do better in life, so rather than looking for the party that will expand opportunity for all (the GOP establishment does NOT represent this), they instead decide that they want to vote themselves an income. Additionally, they now want to punish those who have done well, because such people (in their mind) did it by taking advantage of somebody else, greasing a political palm, or having family connections that smoothed the way. And the Democrats are really good at punishing people and blaming somebody else.

That's where I have seen the transition from right to left.

Sometimes it happens early in life, as people just "give up", other times it happens as retirement looms and they realized the Hawaii trips, quad bikes, and 4000 sqft home ate their retirement before they got there.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

David Brock.  In the 90's he wrote books slamming Hillary and liberalism.  Then he came out as a homosexual and said he only wrote polemic conservative stuff for the money.  Now he works for George Soros by running Media Matters, probably for a lot of money.  He's also mentally disturbed and has bodyguards who pack illegal handguns in Washington D.C.

Ed Schultz was a failing conservative talk radio host, so he flipped his politics and became an idiotic MSNBC host.  Again, I think his interest in politics is pecuniary in nature like Brock's.

Charlie Crist, governor of Florida who lost the GOP primary senate race to Marco Rubio.  But he's more of an amoral cynical hack than a real Republican.  He's a Democrat now.

You know, I have a hard time thinking of an example where a conservative Republican changed his politics to Liberalism/Progressivism and it was sincere, not just a self-interested cynical move a la Arlen Specter or Charlie Crist.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Not all that uncommon in the military, actually. People become disaffected about war and attach it to republican warhawks.  There's also a deep entitlement culture and an environment of government rules, regulations, healthcare, and other services. It's kinda inevitable when you think about it...millions of federal jobs, each with potential to earn a pension...
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

David Frum.

Arianna Huffington called herself a republican because she was banging a republican congressman and using him to establish credentials for herself as a writer, credentials for which she was entirely undeserving. When he decided that hairy man ass was more attractive than Arianna's, she no longer had any reason to pretend to be a conservative and she dropped the act. Her columns, which I used to read because the local paper claimed that she was conservative, were the same kind of left wing drivel that E.J. Dionne wrote. I am saddened by the fact the real republicans did not tar and feather her and her husband for their little stunt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Who was it that said? "If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart...If you're STILL a liberal at 30, you have no head"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top