Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 2:18:58 PM EDT
I want everyone to know that if you like to buy ammo at Wal-Mart that the employees are cheating by putting away a secret stash of ammunition under their register at the ammo counter for their own purchase. When I asked the clerk if I could buy the ammo under the counter he acted like it didn't exist....even though I saw more than there was on the shelf. 9mm, .45, .40 S&W, 7.62x39, .223...all popular calibers and meanwhile there is only odd rifle calibers on the shelf in limited numbers. I witnessed the individual open cases of ammo and take boxes out and place them into a secret stash below the counter under the register. Next time I want ammo, I will talk to a manager and ask to pick from the secret stash when there is none on the shelf. I am sure your local Wal-Mart employees are doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want everyone to know that if you like to buy ammo at Wal-Mart that the employees are cheating by putting away a secret stash of ammunition under their register at the ammo counter for their own purchase. When I asked the clerk if I could buy the ammo under the counter he acted like it didn't exist....even though I saw more than there was on the shelf. 9mm, .45, .40 S&W, 7.62x39, .223...all popular calibers and meanwhile there is only odd rifle calibers on the shelf in limited numbers. I witnessed the individual open cases of ammo and take boxes out and place them into a secret stash below the counter under the register. Next time I want ammo, I will talk to a manager and ask to pick from the secret stash when there is none on the shelf. I am sure your local Wal-Mart employees are doing the same thing.

First, that's called under-stocking and is grounds for termination in Walmart. Second, if it wasn't against policy, how is that "cheating"?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Good tip! The guy usually working at mine always goes under the counter first for me. Last week he pulled up 30 boxes of American eagle .223 varmant tipped for $8.00 a box.. They came home with me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't you just tell the manager that you wanted the ammo under the counter
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Happened to me a couple of days ago.  The shelves were bare but another customer asked if there was any ammo under the counter.  The clerk unlocked it and there it was. Not a lot but it was all .223/5.56x45.  The clerk said the stocker probably just got tired of putting it on the shelf but I'm officially declaring shenanigans.

eta Three box limit here so no score.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be shocked if the dudes at my local Walmart were shooters.

Gang bangers, maybe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Tommy Tellthetruth.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good tip! The guy usually working at mine always goes under the counter first for me. Last week he pulled up 30 boxes of American eagle .223 varmant tipped for $8.00 a box.. They came home with me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy slimy,lazy,degenerate Wal-Mart associate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How did you get around the three box limit?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh, who cares.  This kind of stuff happens with "hot products" of all types, in all kinds of retail stores.

The trick is to make sure you never put yourself in a position where you HAVE to stop at Wal-mart, hoping against hope that they have some crumbs remaining for you.

Consider this a penalty for not being prepared prior to a panic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen this happen at one of my local Walmarts, but I'm not convinced its always as malicious as you assume it is.

I was in the habit of just walking by the ammo case to see if there was anything I wanted but I never saw anything.  Then one day the guy working the sporting goods area asked me if he could help and I just said I was looking for 9mm ammo.  He said he had some but it was under the counter.  He claimed it was easier for him to just keep it there since so many people come by asking for it.  He didn't seem to be actually hiding it but he definitely could have just told me he was out if he were hiding it for a buddy.

Since then I've always asked to check under the counter if their online inventory says they still have some and its not just because a truck just unloaded in the back.  I've found their online inventory to be very accurate BUT you have to be patient because it says instock at about the time the truck pulls up to unload and it takes 2-4 hours to hit the shelves after that.  I have seen the online inventory change to out of stock within minutes of watching the last box get sold though.

BTW, they recently hid all their ammo on their online site but if you google search you can still find it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
You know associates are allowed to make purchases as well However it is against store policy to hide or stash merchandise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What 3 box limit? I go to about 4 different Walmart's around here and have never seen that..
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no idea how you guys are seeing the inventory of certain Walmart stores.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What 3 box limit? I go to about 4 different Walmart's around here and have never seen that..

mine has it here too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine has it here too.

Mine limits us to two.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#18]
3 boxes around here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top