Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2013 2:08:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Why do they have to move?
Don't they have a Federal manufacturing exemption or something?
How do people like Sarco manage to operate and sell hi cap mags and such like out of NJ?

Thanks

Not sure, but why would they want to contribute tax money to a state that doesn't want them?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
They don't have to.  They want to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure it's a function of "have to" vs. "want to".

...and I'm beat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question:

How do people like Sarco manage to operate and sell hi cap mags and such like out of NJ?

Thanks

Not sure, but why would they want to contribute tax money to a state that doesn't want them?

This is the answer.  The only way to defeat communism without killing them all is to take away their source of revenue.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
If I knew my business wasn't wanted somewhere, I would move it ASAP.    The politicians in Colorado have made it abundantly clear that Magpul isn't wanted there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Thanks

they do NOT have to move

But the question should be ..."Why should they stay?"

CO is setting the tone..piling on with other states.  Magpul will be affected IF states keeping piling on.  

Why should Magpul pay any taxes to a state government bent on running them out of business?

If I was Magpul....I would be contacting the commercial real estate brokers and moving companies post haste.  I would then make a PUBLIC spectacle of how many people are going to be laid off.  I would also state that ANY employees of Magpul are welcome to transfer to the new location out of state...taking even more taxes away from CO.  

Add to it NO sales to CO Gov agencies

CO is simply CA lite.  All the CA liberals that moved to CO have destroyed it

it is like a plague

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The law also requires them to put dates and information on every magazine they make in case the mag gets back into Colorado so that Colorado can arrest anyone who buys a 16+ round magazine after CO's ban passes.

The law basically targets them.

They are unwelcome, and this is just one step towards their destruction.  Why stay?

As a company, they don't believe in citizen disarmament, and they don't want to just manufacture for government agencies that will be stripping their fellow citizens of their rights.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because they have principles.  That's why I sent them this email last night:

"I only own one AR and I'm already broke as hell but I will buy at least one product from you a month for as long as you are in business and we aren't all in prison for saying "I will not comply."  If I can afford something sizable but don't need it, I'll eventually find a use for it or will give it to a shooter with even less scratch than me (my kids are only 4 and 8 - worst case, I'll hang onto it for them).  If I can't afford much of anything, I'll buy a trigger guard, a phone case (don't have an iPhone, either) or a goddamned bumper sticker.  The hardest part will be finding a dealer with anything in stock so let me know if you ever move to direct sales...."

I hope things work out for them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
they dont have to ... its the principle

also SARCO moved to PA
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Serious question:

Thanks

They probably don't have to move.

They are leaving and taking their jobs and tax dollars with them to protest the governments actions (assuming the mag ban passes)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Thanks

Sarco moved
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Thanks

Typically bans exempt dealers, LEO, and manufacturers.For example YHM is located in Massachusetts. Civilians may not own suppressors, post-ban AR-15s, or post-ban "high capacity" mags. Obviously the people who work at YHM possess them.

Not always, though. The Mass ban on tasers and stun guns have no exceptions at all. Even LEO may not possess them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
My guess is they will move off-shore and make a killing.  They are a good bunch of molded plastics engineers and have demonstrated the successful ability to design, make, and market about anything they want.  World markets await.

On the other hand I predict a thriving underground black market of homebuilt magazines will arise.  7  round kits will look just like 30 round kits. You just add a little more sheet metal in your garage. Put in 4 springs instead of one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
They can come up to South Dakota, I would love to work for them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My guess is they will move off-shore and make a killing.  They are a good bunch of molded plastics engineers and have demonstrated the successful ability to design, make, and market about anything they want.  World markets await.

On the other hand I predict a thriving underground black market of homebuilt magazines will arise.  7  round kits will look just like 30 round kits. You just add a little more sheet metal in your garage. Put in 4 springs instead of one.

If they move offshore, customs/imports becomes the issue. What if his royal highness King Hussein decides to ban all imports?

Well, the revolution that would trigger aside, that's a terrible idea because China or the host country would just steal their IP, tech, and know how and then undercut them on the price until they go out of business.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not about the money...... It's about sending a message..  Fuck you is that message.

Sarco has more than one warehouse. I'm sure they have one in a free state
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much what everyone else has said...

CO. is basically telling them "You can still manufacture and sell your products, as long as it's out of state. We don't want your products here, but we'll take your tax money."

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
They are packing up their shit on principal and I for one can not fault them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Thanks

Its called principles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Serious question:

The same reason I, as are others, am severing to the degree I can financial ties to New York State.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder how their employees feel about it.

Not stirring the pot.  Just wondering whether they'd decide to stand on principle and move the factory if it were their decision.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
If you look in the magpul industry thread they already replied to this answer. They don't want to move. The exemption wasn't clear on employees possession, foreign sales, selling to other states etc. Too many loopholes to get them in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

Same reason I canceled a vacation to NYC earlier this year.
And if any arfcommers planned on vacationing here I urge you to cancel.
Amd let these fuckwad cocksucing tyrant motherfuckers know why.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
The really smart Chamber of Commerce on a local level has Magpul on speed dial.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
They have balls, that's why.  

You don't do business with crooks.  You get rid of the crooks (by voting them out, or having them arrested depending on if they are politicians or just citizens), or you find a market that doesn't have them

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not stirring the pot.  Just wondering whether they'd decide to stand on principle and move the factory if it were their decision.

I believe the current plan is to relocate everyone and not even cease production if possible.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

And send them a letter letting them know why you will not be stimulating their economy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the current plan is to relocate everyone and not even cease production if possible.

Good, if they relocate everyone........that would be a MASSIVE tax hit....

ANYONE

I'm a CO resident.  If you were going to vacation here, I urge you, plead with you, beg you if I must, go to UT, WY, Montana, etc.....but please, don't send money to this state.

Then, when you decided to go vacation wherever else, please send our representatives an e-mail explaining why you chose to patronize the state you did.  

If you are a business, please stay out, you are likely to find that CO is going to be Kali in about 10-15 years.  Big economy, HUGE DEBT, no way out.

Our budget is already fucking headed that way.  They protected entitlements, but they didn't protect the education budget.  Therefore, whenever tax revenues take a hit due to an economic down turn, what budget gets hit?  Not entitlements.  Not the people that are NEVER going to amount to anything.........no.  They take $$$ away from kids that have not yet had the chance to even choose to succeed or fail......

What a backwards society we are.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Your question has already answered. Don't be lazy and look for it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#31]
They employ 200 people, big whup.  A super WalMart employs far more than that  and the state collects far more tax from a retailer than a manufacturer.

I worked for a company that employed 11,000 workers in Ga and 25,000 nationwide.  When they got into financial trouble, the various governments couldn't care less, so the company shut down and all those jobs were gone.

Magpul needs to go where they have control over their future, and in this economy they just might get some long term state tax breaks , it is all up for bid.  It could end up being a very good thing for the company in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#32]
... The only way to defeat communism without killing them all is to take away their source of revenue.

Well said
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#33]
A lot of business friendly states are actively reaching out to SMBs and offering incentives to entice them to move there.

I'm confident that Magpul will have no problems finding a new home in a state less hostile to them.

ETA: And kudos to Magpul for doing what they are doing

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#34]
they will find a new home where their wanted, AZ would be nice
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22593693/colorado-ammo-magazine-maker-threatens-leave-state-over#ixzz2Kz1QtwS1

from the article -
"If we're able to stay in Colorado and manufacture a product, but law-abiding citizens of the state were unable to purchase the product, customers around the state and the nation would boycott us for remaining here," said Doug Smith, Magpul's chief operating officer. "Staying here would hurt our business."

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your question has already answered. Don't be lazy and look for it yourself.

Shut up
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope they come to Ohio. Southeast Ohio is very gun-friendly (even the libs here) and there are plenty of people with manufacturing experience who don't have jobs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
... The only way to defeat communism without killing them all is to take away their source of revenue.

Well said

Very well said.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They don't have to.  They want to.

Ding ding ding.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Come to NC We did our job turned a blue state to a red state !!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No. Come to SC. One of the most business friendly states and we are very gun friendly. Plus I would love to work for Magpul.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Come to SC. One of the most business friendly states and we are very gun friendly. Plus I would love to work for Magpul.

This.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep.  If you have some extra time, plan out the Colorado vacation with estimated expenditures.  Then email the chamber of commerce (state and local), the attraction (ski site etc) and the Governor.  Include a polite phrasing as to not being willing to spend any money in a state that does not respect the rights of its citizens.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
If Magpul needs to raise some extra funds for the move I'd be down for some limited edition $100 PMAGs

They're doing a very good thing here by saying F-U to the legislature. CO doesn't deserve them anymore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question:

Thanks

This is the answer.  The only way to defeat communism without killing them all is to take away their source of revenue.

Exactly.  I very much want to take this country back without bloodshed or violence.  I have seen the results of it in other countries, I do not want to see it in this one.  I have to believe that we can restore the Constitution and government accountability peacefully.  

This is one way.  Bankrupt the Blue states and enrich the red states.  Writing to our representative regarding our views and holding them responsible for their votes on issues is another.  On a personal level how many people have you taken shooting?  Most of the new shooters I have taken out have had a great time and started seeing things our way once they got the idea that personal accountability and true independence was something they could achieve for themselves.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought they said the law would require them to stop making mags Jul 1?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep, NC is in constant flux. They are right on the edge, and can go back to blue at any time. SC is so far in the red it's not even funny. We killed off a lot of the democrat party here when we elected Carrol Campbell in 1987, which was our first Republican governor since the civil war. The dems were still strong enough to get a governor in with Jim Hodges in 1999. He did enough damage in one term to destroy a good bit of the party. We've made a huge swing since then, and Republicans control nearly everything in the state. We have both bodies in the state house. We aren't going backwards, and Obama has pushed the state further to the right.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

CO is simply CA lite.  All the CA liberals that moved to CO have destroyed it

it is like a plague

Nailed it !
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#50]

From Magpul's FB page:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

MAGPUL INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES IT WILL LEAVE COLORADO IF GUN BILL PASSES

MOVE WOULD COST STATE 600 JOBS, $85 MILLION

Denver, Colorado – February 15th, 2013 - Magpul Industries, an Erie, Colorado, based manufacturer of firearms accessories, announced today that it will be forced to leave the state if House Bill 1224, which would ban standard capacity magazines, becomes law. The announcement was made to Governor Hickenlooper, state legislators, members of the media, and in a full-page advertisement to appear in the Denver Post on Sunday.

Richard Fitzpatrick, Founder, President, and CEO of Magpul Industries, said that regardless of any amendments that may be worked into the bill, he will no longer be able to continue to do business in Colorado if his core product is made illegal.

“Our company could not, in good conscience, continue to manufacture our products in a state where law-abiding citizens are prohibited from purchasing and owning them. ” Fitzpatrick said. “The passage of this bill will do nothing to enhance public safety, but will force us to immediately begin taking our business to another state.”

A proponent of the bill argued that with the amendment language, the choice to stay or leave was up to Magpul. Fitzpatrick responded, "Our relationship with our customers across the country would be severely damaged if this bill passes and we stay. We've already heard word of potential boycotts if that happens. They (legislators) really need to understand that our customer base is as passionate about freedoms as we are, and staying here if this bill passes would cripple the company. Make no doubt about it...we have no choice, and would be forced to leave in order to save the business."

Magpul cited the example of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show, which was canceled earlier this year after the organizers announced that it would not permit a popular category of firearm, like the ones Magpul makes accessories for, in the show. Public outcry from the customer base forced exhibitors to withdraw from participation, causing the cancellation of the show, and an estimated loss of $70 million of show revenue for hotels, restaurants, merchants, and other businesses in Pennsylvania, where the show was to be held.

Magpul Industries directly employs 200 people, supports another 400 supply-chain jobs, and contributes over $85 million annually to Colorado’s economy. Doug Smith, Chief Operating Officer for Magpul, says that it is a difficult position to be in. "We could choose to stay in a state that wants our jobs and revenue, but not our products, and lose half the jobs we are fighting to save, or potentially the entire business, when our customers stop buying. Or, we can take the company and those 600 jobs out of Colorado to continue our growth and the growth of American manufacturing in a state that shares our values. This is not really a choice. It's an unfortunate and inevitable result of the actions of the Legislature if this bill passes."

Magpul was started over a decade ago by Fitzpatrick, a former U.S. Marine. It has become one of Colorado’s fastest growing businesses, successfully marketing its products to American and allied military forces, police departments, sporting goods stores, and thousands of responsible private citizens. Fitzpatrick says that the rich western culture and strong values of individual freedom and responsibility, traditionally found in Colorado, were one of the reasons the company chose to remain in the state.

“It is heartbreaking to me, my employees, and their families, to think that we will be forced to leave,” Fitzpatrick said. “But if HB13-1224 passes, we will simply have no choice.”

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top