Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2002 12:15:56 AM EDT
My shift is quiet tonight and it is about time to find something to eat so.  I am out of moose so it looks as if I will make due with a SPAM sandwich.  Alaskans eat more SPAM than other state in the country, other than our neighbors to the south in the great state of Hawaii.  

I am working at a post away from home right now and I am trying to figure out what to buy with the extra money, I will make for working here.

I just recently bought a Type-43 broomhandle.  That is the one with the removable ten round mag. It will be a fun one to show, once I get sometime off.  

I need no more ar-15's, I have more that I can shake a stick at.  I am looking at the Remington LTR, an Ohio Ordnance BAR, or I do not know, so please help me with so new ideas.

Pictures will be of great help and a good reason/story, so that I can persuade my wife to allow me to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you've got plenty of room & game up there... how about this [url]http://www.cheyennetactical.com/index2.htm[/url]?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
KEA
What in the world was that thing??

Is that a real rifle, something that you could take out and shot?

I am scare to even ask what something like that you would cost.

Any other thoughts??
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
.408 CheyTac - EDM Arms & THEIS collaboration.  Still supersonic @ 2500 meters with 419 grains.  Beats the .50 BMG hands down on energy, accuracy, portability, & range; assuming you're into not letting "them" get with 1000 yards of you.

From the dealer - $7100 as pictured.  I'll have pics of mine in December I hope.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
KEA

Looks like it would be the allotment long range bear gun, and or moose gun.  what is the velocity from the muzzle? What do rounds cost, and what type of scope do you plan to run on it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
KEA

Looks like it would be the allotment long range bear gun, and or moose gun.  what is the velocity from the muzzle? What do rounds cost, and what type of scope do you plan to run on it?
View Quote

I think you are right in thinking that you would have to spend the allotment on that dude!   Of course shells  at probably only two to three dollars a piece(a big brown or griss would think that was cheap).  

Spam and eggs you just can't top that!   Its funny but when you talk about your neighbors south of you Hawaii,is like me talking about my neighbors just west of me in Japan!

Anyway I know you know about the Alaskan Pilot take down gun,thats the way I would go!

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Bobbyjack.

Wild West Guns make the co-pilot, it is quite well put togother.  The 45/70 is as nice of a round that you are going to fine.  I have had them do some work on my Marlin, and it sure fire nice now.  

Alaska is the furthest state North and West in the union.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bobbyjack.

Wild West Guns make the co-pilot, it is quite well put togother.  The 45/70 is as nice of a round that you are going to fine.  I have had them do some work on my Marlin, and it sure fire nice now.  

View Quote

Seems like somebody doesn't think that the 45/70 is enough gun!   They offer a 457!  Seems like the 45/70 is an old buffalo cartridge and they thing the guides and such should have something bigger!   I had a Rugar #1 stainless with laminated stock 45/70 and I would have felt safe in bear country,unless I actually saw ten foot of bear in front of me!

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Bobbyjack.

they also offer a .50 cal Alaskan round that makes the 457 look pretty small.  Now that being said it is simple politics regarding the 457, it only offers you 200 fps, more.  I live in the land of 10 foot tall white bears that really do eat us two lagged type and will take a 45/70 and feel well armed with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
No loaded ammo available yet that I know of.  Lost River Ballistic is component source [url]http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB_Start.htm[/url].  Bullets - $1.25 ea., brass - $1.80 ea., plus the powder & magnum primer, & dies.

Figure around [b]$3.75 per bang[/b].

I've got a NightForce Extreme 8-32x56 ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#10]
So you take about 3 slices of SPAM,about 1/4 inch thick put em in a frying pan and heat em up,spread mayo na couple slices of bread.......put the heated SPAM on the bread,a couple slices of tomatoe and a couple pieces of lettuce.....yummy yummy............my wife can't understand how anyone can eat SPAM. She thought I was the only one that ate SPAM sandwiches........Thanks I am not alone anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No loaded ammo available yet that I know of.  Lost River Ballistic is component source [url]http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB_Start.htm[/url].  Bullets - $1.25 ea., brass - $1.80 ea., plus the powder & magnum primer, & dies.

Figure around [b]$3.75 per bang[/b].

I've got a NightForce Extreme 8-32x56 ready to go.
View Quote

Hey KEA this guy is an alout or maybe even Nez Perce ,he is a police man with a district of what ever 1/4 of Alaska is.   He is in charge of the northern 1/4  slope of Alaska,don't know how big that is but bet it is big!

Anybody here know what the square footage of Alaska is?   Anyway I was kind of jokeing about the 45/70 round and how I felt good about its stopping power as long as I don't run into any ten foot bears!

Well he politly told me he is from the land of the great white bears that often get to ten feet tall and a human kind of looks like slow running elk without the horns!

And that he had a Marlin 45/70 and didn't feel at the least underpowered with it!

What a character,just like Will Sampson said he had traveled through Oklahoma and Texas and what a hot state they were!  So I don't think he will be buying a 7,000 dollar rifle.

But if you will look he did post and ask in his best english how he could buy a LTR in 308!

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you take about 3 slices of SPAM,about 1/4 inch thick put em in a frying pan and heat em up,spread mayo na couple slices of bread.......put the heated SPAM on the bread,a couple slices of tomatoe and a couple pieces of lettuce.....yummy yummy............my wife can't understand how anyone can eat SPAM. She thought I was the only one that ate SPAM sandwiches........Thanks I am not alone anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
       Only people that wont touch spam whatsoever are WW2 Vets,as that's all they got three times a day,hell just like me only got PBJ ,every body else was getting Bologna.  

You know what hamburger is, young steers that won't make a good bull(denutted)heifers that wont make good cows,and all the other canker eyed,prolapsed.non producing cow flesh you would never sell on an open market!

Ever hear of a man selling a good cow that could produce 8 to ten calves for a big mac!

Ever see any real good GTO for sale,no you keep the good and sell the bad!   SPAM is just that spiced Parts and Ham Dirivitives!   but good non the less,   what you want to look for is Mechanical picked,that means no human knows what is or is not in the mix!

Happy Eating!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#13]
My favorite is [monty python] Spam, Spam, Spam, eggs, and Spam. [/monty python] [:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Goodmorning.

The "Slope" as we in Alaska call it, is over 88,000 square mile's.  That would be in the area of the state of Washington, Alaska in more twice as big as the great state of Texas.  There are about 50 police officers here, in about eight villages.  

Yes, we have polar bears, that big fluffy white thing that most of you see in a zoo or on T.V.  Here they come a shore from the ice pack in the fall and walk about town.  We have lost several people to polar bears, they will seek you out and eat you.  

The biggest polar bear that I have seen was almost 10 foot tall.  Yes, I do feel that a 45/70 with the propped load would be enough to stop a polar bear, at close range.  This is the real world for me, your life outside is very easy and safe.  

Yes, this morning I fried up the rest of my smoke SPAM, and fried potatoes and had a couple eggs with it.      
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Ears, snouts and innards,
A homogeneous mass.
Pass another slice.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
osprey21.

Tell the truth now, you know you like it, and you know you have eaten it.  It is the best OOOOH Yeeee.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bobbyjack.

View Quote

Furthest East too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Let's get right down to it, who likes SPAM?  What is your favorite way to fix it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
osprey21.

Tell the truth now, you know you like it, and you know you have eaten it.  It is the best OOOOH Yeeee.
View Quote

Pink tender morsel,
Glistening with salty gel.
What the hell is it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
He really asked for some 'new' ideas.  Why would anyone want an LTR in Alaska?  You might get to your neighbors property, no?

To me Alaska implies long range & retained energy - nothing newer or better than the .408.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
mhmmmm mechanicaly separated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top