[#3]
love his videos. his facebook posts are cool as well
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
the truth this man speaks it...

if I ever own my own gun store...

I will name it "The Politest Gun Store"   I will make my employees be the happiest politest jolliest bunch of assholes this side of a Chevy chase movie...

with this in mind I bet I can have some pretty high prices and still sell a lot of guns just because other gun stores are just so bad...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Whenever I find someone who encounters assholes in every gun store he ever visits, I try to imagine the commonality of his experience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#7]
How about doing some research and know what you are looking for so you do not have to deal with the idiot behind the counter, or just order your gun elsewhere and use a pawn shop as a receiving FFL.

Not a gun store employee, never will be, but I have little sympathy for a customer who cannot do 2 minutes worth of google searching and 10 minutes of reading before unloading $500+ dollars on a firearm.  If you are taking the reccomendation of 95% of gun shop employees you long ago set out to fail.

ETA:  Fuck the fair weather panic buyers, and fuck the resale speculators even harder.  Take them for whatever they are dumb enough to lay down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about doing some research and know what you are looking for so you do not have to deal with the idiot behind the counter, or just order your gun elsewhere and use a pawn shop as a receiving FFL.

Not a gun store employee, never will be, but I have little sympathy for a customer who cannot do 2 minutes worth of google searching and 10 minutes of reading before unloading $500+ dollars on a firearm.  If you are taking the reccomendation of 95% of gun shop employees you long ago set out to fail.

ETA:  Fuck the fair weather panic buyers, and fuck the resale speculators even harder.  Take them for whatever they are dumb enough to lay down.

Because the internet is a good way to figure out what gun(s) to buy?

Let's face it- the best way to determine what guns are and are not a good fit is to shoot them. A gun can have a great reputation, and it can feel good at the shop, but there may be other issues that come into play when it's time to send lead down range. Related Thread

Another thing to consider is that a wide range of people with a wide range of knowledge (or lack thereof) walk through the doors of gunstores. I'm not formally an employee, but I help out a lot, and I spend a lot of time behind the counter.

Sometimes I ask "How can I help you?" and the response is "Do you have any Glock 34s/ M1As/ Dan Wesson Pointman 9s?" At that point, I give no advice and I make conversation with the customer. I might even learn something.

Sometimes, that response is "I think I want to buy a gun..."
Me -"What kind of gun?"
Him- "Uhh... I don't know, I'm thinking some kind of handgun."
Me- "Will it be used for concealed carry, or are you looking for home defense?"
Him- "Home Defense"
Me- "Larger pistols tend to be easier to shoot, and they have a larger capacity." *Pulls out Glock 17, CZ75B, and Beretta 92*
5 mins later
Him- "I think I get it, but I can't afford any of these."
Me- "Okay, how about this?" *Out comes the Ruger P95*
Him- "Hmm, this seems like it should work."
Me- "I need you to show me some ID and start filling out this form..."
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe because if you are in retail - be in cars, guns, electronics, whatever - your job is to know your product and be willing to help and educate potential customers.  If all you want to do is sit on your lazy ass and ring up sales and not be asked questions, any $5 per hour idiot can do that.  If you arent good at customer service you shouldnt have (or work in) a business dealing with customers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I must go to the wrong gun stores, because the two that I frequent are staffed by the NICEST, absolutely sweetest people. If you are intimidated by big guys there are lots of well armed and educated ladies there who will step in to show you something that has worked for them. The guys are the most non-pushy, non-judgmental, "what are you looking for?" types that there are.

They can be as "tactical" or as "Fudd" as you want to be. I guess none of them mistake their knowledge of guns for having a bigger penis.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The gun store asshole employee has been around far
Longer  than the Internet.  It is customer service plain and simple, and sadly a lot of local gun stores lack it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that 87GN?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
His name was 87GN and from the take a shower statement I would say he is surfing AR15.com still.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Been a subscriber to his vids for awhile.  I agree with this video.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because if you are in retail - be in cars, guns, electronics, whatever - your job is to know your product and be willing to help and educate potential customers.  If all you want to do is sit on your lazy ass and ring up sales and not be asked questions, any $5 per hour idiot can do that.  If you arent good at customer service you shouldnt have (or work in) a business dealing with customers.

Gunshop owners do not like informed buyers IME.  They cannot make money in anywhere near the same margins on us, unless said buyer is just careless with their money.  It really throws the monkey behind the counter off when the buyer thumbs through 2 or 3 specific firearms and does not ask any questions, IME when this happens they are ready to get you out the door so they can go bilk the sucker beside you who is talking out of his ass about his "expertise".

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the internet is a good way to figure out what gun(s) to buy?

Let's face it- the best way to determine what guns are and are not a good fit is to shoot them. A gun can have a great reputation, and it can feel good at the shop, but there may be other issues that come into play when it's time to send lead down range. Related Thread

Another thing to consider is that a wide range of people with a wide range of knowledge (or lack thereof) walk through the doors of gunstores. I'm not formally an employee, but I help out a lot, and I spend a lot of time behind the counter.

Sometimes I ask "How can I help you?" and the response is "Do you have any Glock 34s/ M1As/ Dan Wesson Pointman 9s?" At that point, I give no advice and I make conversation with the customer. I might even learn something.

Sometimes, that response is "I think I want to buy a gun..."
Me -"What kind of gun?"
Him- "Uhh... I don't know, I'm thinking some kind of handgun."
Me- "Will it be used for concealed carry, or are you looking for home defense?"
Him- "Home Defense"
Me- "Larger pistols tend to be easier to shoot, and they have a larger capacity." *Pulls out Glock 17, CZ75B, and Beretta 92*
5 mins later
Him- "I think I get it, but I can't afford any of these."
Me- "Okay, how about this?" *Out comes the Ruger P95*
Him- "Hmm, this seems like it should work."
Me- "I need you to show me some ID and start filling out this form..."

The real secondary utility of the internet after the information availability is the development of a "Internal Bullshit Filter", you would agree????  A developed skepticism has saved me from buying several lemons and out of production models.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#17]
On a given day there is at least as much stupid on the customer side. Pretty sure he worked retail at one point so I am sure he got to experience it.

Quoted:
Whenever I find someone who encounters assholes in every gun store he ever visits, I try to imagine the commonality of his experience.

I like the way you roll Raylan

Quoted:
Gunshop owners do not like informed buyers IME.  They cannot make money in anywhere near the same margins on us, unless said buyer is just careless with their money.  It really throws the monkey behind the counter off when the buyer thumbs through 2 or 3 specific firearms and does not ask any questions, IME when this happens they are ready to get you out the door so they can go bilk the sucker beside you who is talking out of his ass about his "expertise".

I never minded informed buyers, I dont mind misinformed buyers, just dont waste my time. If you think you will go elsewhere then do so, dont bust my balls for your power trip. I would never believe the shit that happens until I worked on the other side of the counter. How about the guy who ties you up for a half hour or better only to inform you he already had the gun on order elsewhere to save a couple bucks
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
AND STOP TRYING TO SELL ME AND MY S/O REVOLVERS....

WE DON'T WANT A "CUTE LITTLE REVOLVER"!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On a given day there is at least as much stupid on the customer side. Pretty sure he worked retail at one point so I am sure he got to experience it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never minded informed buyers, I dont mind misinformed buyers, just dont waste my time. If you think you will go elsewhere then do so, dont bust my balls for your power trip. I would never believe the shit that happens until I worked on the other side of the counter. How about the guy who ties you up for a half hour or better only to inform you he already had the gun on order elsewhere to save a couple bucks  

Would never do that, If I am still thumbing it is not on order yet.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Here here. The same is true of gun ranges which can be just as bad.  If an employee points a gun at a customer they should not be surprised that a bad review is dropped on Yelp and Google places.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#21]
It irks me when I see know nothing gun buyer being gamed by arrogant gun store guy. This happened last week.

I was buying some stuff, an obvious know nothing guy was looking to buy something to carry while he snow-shoed "in case he came across a wolf." He mentioned wolf to the counter guy several times as the sole reason to purchase. Out came the big "you absolutely need a .45 to kill a wolf speech," with fancy showings of an S&W 1911. I was like, "buy that used .357 taurus for 1/4 of the price, it will kill wolves fine." The gun guy gave me the look of death and then went on to admit, yeah you could kill wolves with that.

I realize people on work on commissions, but come on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
His name was 87GN and from the take a shower statement I would say he is surfing AR15.com still.

He is a member...

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
good
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#25]
The "take a shower" part is most important especially if you run or work in a gun shop in SW Florida. Those motherfuckers STINK!

Gun Shows too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
That video is old news, just like the guy who made it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Serious Whose retread are you
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is a member...

- Clint

I thought he was banned a while back for welching on a deal in the EE.
I liked 87GN he helped me out with good info many times.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always enjoy the ones who know all about our insane markups, and how they know what the guns really cost, so I'll give you three hundred bucks for that Glock 21...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Agreed!

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is a member...

- Clint

I thought he was banned a while back for welching on a deal in the EE.
I liked 87GN he helped me out with good info many times.

Not sure on the EE deal, because I don't see any negative feedback, but it looks like he hasn't logged in for quite awhile: http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=58743
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
All businesses dealing with items of a "serious" nature tend to have employees with less than tolerant attitudes. This is because the customers can be as ignorant as children though
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who are you and what have you done for the community? Doc Tuohy is an Iraq combat veteran, US Navy FMF Corpsman and all around good guy. Why dont you GTFO since you have nothing to add.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you and what have you done for the community? Doc Tuohy is an Iraq combat veteran, US Navy FMF Corpsman and all around good guy. Why dont you GTFO since you have nothing to add.

Well my goodness. Is this the same guy who posted pictures of a girl in a cum stained shirt??
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Isn't that pretty old? I seem to remember something extremely similar from a long time ago...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well my goodness. Is this the same guy who posted pictures of a girl in a cum stained shirt??

Veteren and he's actually been with a woman, no wonder GD hates on him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Veteren and he's actually been with a woman, no wonder GD hates on him.

So it is the same guy? I really have enjoyed some of his work but if that is the same guy i am thinking about he always came off as pretty arrogant to me.

Sounds like he grew up and became a hell of a soldier and that is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Within 30 minutes of my house there are 4 gun shops.  Within 45 minutes there are ~10.  

I drive an hour whenever I want to buy or look at anything related to firearms for one reason - nice, knowledgable employees that ask me the right questions and give the right answers to my questions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I miss my old local gun shop.  It was run be the most hateful SOB you ever met.  He liked me, though, because I didn't want to waste his time talking about stuff that was mostly dumb.  

Me:  "Me want .45."

Him: "Colt. There in case.  Got the money?  I want $600."

Me: "Yes, give me the 4473."

Him: "Always demanding something for free.  Here ya go.  Don't mess it up because it's the only one you're getting."

Me: "Done, here's the money."

Him: "You can pick up the gun in two weeks.  No way I'm going to sell it to you at that price without making sure it's tuned, has a proper trigger job, and feeds reliably. Now go away and let me sleep."

Me: "OK.  I guess it's been fun."

Him: "You still here?"

That was a few years ago and that pistol has been just wonderful.  I miss that cranky old goat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Honestly, I have found the gun shops in Boise to be really friendly.   Impact Guns staff seem friendly and Boise Gun Company has friendly people there as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Been lucky that the few in my area have really polite and knowledgeable people working there. One of the guys is also a drinking buddy so that helps
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuckin totally agree. Every time I hit a new gun store up there are always a bunch of assholes working the counters.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I have noticed lately that the dickishness level at my main shop has been replaced by looks and attitudes of exhaustion. Even the "Wizard of All Gunsmiths" has become a shell of his former douchebaggy self.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
He didn't call you gun store workers assholes, he called you stinking assholes!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Get rid of the half-gallon gas station coffee cauldron that has not been washed for the past five years.....You ain't on your fucking break while you are waiting on me and I'd rather not look at the nasty-ass thing.

BTW....Please don't hand me a C&R mil-surp and tell me it's a bring-back unless you have the paperwork to back it up. I won't be kind to your feel-goods when I see the import mark on it.

Oh yeah.....Customers can be stupid as they are the ones with the money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]

No shit. I have a LGS a mile from my house full of arrogant dickhead fucks. They had one guy there that was really kick ass and they fired him.

Took the wife unit in there and the guy spent an hour with the two of use showing her at least a dozen different firearms. She ended up settling on a $400 used LadySmith wheel gun. She loves that gun more than any others we have to this day. She literally loves shooting it. My wife understands the whole RTKB thing, but is still a little leary of shooting rifles and such. He made her so comfortable with both how the gun operates and her decision that it is and always will be her favorite.

He built a relationship with us. This place is always overpriced by at least $50, but if that guy was still there no other place would get my business. I bought my XD Tac from him as well even though it was $50 more than Academy. His attention and service were worth it to me. He showed me how to break it down and how to operate it.

I went back in and asked where he was a couple months later and was told he got fired because he spent too much time with each person basically. The rest of the guys in there are dicks.

Those fucks will never see me darken their door again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am going to go ahead and guess you are not in a customer service role. Your narrow view of the world is really sad and some day I hope you have an opportunity to receive exceptional service when making a purchase.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to go ahead and guess you are not in a customer service role. Your narrow view of the world is really sad and some day I hope you have an opportunity to receive exceptional service when making a purchase.

I do work in customer service.  Just reinforces what I think most days.  That said, price is my main driver as a customer.  I don't really care about the service unless the seller really does something stupid that makes me pay attention to it, gun-shop employees seem to uniquely specialize in this.  All the more reason not to talk to them unless necessary.  If you can save me $150 over the jackass down the block and do not go out of your way to step on my dick, you have got a sale.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#50]
So I, against my better judgment, stop at a LGS this week.

Its nothing usual for them to NOT be friendly or even cordial.  But I was actually intending on spending above retail for a gun that had been traded into them (a WW2 gun that I had wanted for a while, the family couldnt sell anything directly, it all had to go thru an estate sale process, but I digress).

So, I am used to walking into the store with dead silence.  My sarcasm always prompts me to say, "hey, how are yall doin?"  Sometimes they look at me, sometimes, they speak.  My brother was with me and wearing his uniform (currently, fedex pilot and part time guard pilot and Iraq vet).  He rarely gets time, between fedex and the guard, to go to a LGS but went with me this day.

Anyhow, to get to the point......as usual, I was met by a group of assholes (I have to presume that or I have to presume they just ran over their dog or their Viagra prescription expired, otherwise there is no apparent reason for their generally crappy demeanor).  I see what I am looking for hanging on the peg board part of the wall near the cash register.  This is a store where you have to ask to touch any firearm, not by law or anything.  I ask to see the rifle to confirm it was the rifle I was looking for.....now realize, I collect these things and have for 18 years, so I knew what I was looking for and what I was looking at.  As soon as I ask to see it, the reply is "I don't know why you would want one of these".....  Once my face relaxed from the "WOW" expression, I just simply replied....."inst it for sale" and "aren't you all in the business of selling them".....the asshole said "ummhmm"....and handed me the WW2 rifle.  As soon as I was handed the rifle, he said "don't rack it or pull the trigger"......I replied that I was prepared to make an offer, if I could examine the barrel......which would require me to pull back the operating rod (not rack it).  Instead of some substantive discussion about the mechanics of the rifle and if I knew what I was doing, he simply replied "cash or credit".......I wanted to reply "layaway" but didnt.  So, after about 15 minutes of this crap from a so-called "salesman", I say that I will take it and we do the paperwork.  As we are awaiting the insta check, my brother......in a leather aviator jacket, with wings and other insignia typical of a pilot gets asked by the guy "do you fly?"  My brother, who would've bought a pistol but was shocked at the whole scene, replied "yes, for fedex"  The asshole then gets on a tangent about fedex charging so much to ship handguns and similar topics.......none of which a part time pilot has any control over.  My brother replies something to the effect of "maybe you should write a letter to fedex management in Memphis".  The asshole salesman then replies "about the answer I expected from someone who could only fly boxes around"......well, at that point, I picked up my driver license and money and told them that I had changed my mind on the rifle and my brother made some comment about the boxes he flew all over Iraq and if the salesman had served in the military, he might know how to treat customers and how he should probably take the rest of the day off and go home to play video games and think about the two sales he just cost the owner of the store.

We "the gun culture" can be our own worst enemies........
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top