Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 10:13:18 AM EDT
Woke from a dead sleep this AM by a phone call.  Our security company informing me of a breach in a window at my business.  They ask If I could confirm if it was a False alarm.  I said "No, I'm at home"  

"Ok we are sending the Police."

There have been a rash of Burglaries the last year or so In our little town.  Including some home invasions. My 4 wheeler was stolen from my front yard. etc

So I get out of bed, Pull on some pants and a shirt. Slip my crossbreed Supertuck with my Glock 27 onto the waist band. (didn't take the time to put on My Gun Belt.)

Here was first possible Fail, More on that Later.

Hop in my truck and drive the 10 blocks to my Restaurant.  No police in the drive way.  I look down the side of the building that the breach was signaled from.  Nothing amiss.

Then I go to the back door.  I pause and think... Do I go in gun drawn?  While I ponder the thought I'm looking in the window and can see most of the restaurant.  I'm now fairly confident no one is inside,  unless they are hiding...  

I enter and turn on the lights.  Listen for movement...Nothing... I have to admit, I'm a bit Keyed up.

I walk to the alarm and enter the security code.  That causes my phone to ring.  It is the security company again.  I verify that I am at the business.  While I am talking I walk through the building and to the window and find the Culprit.  The freeze thaw of cold night/warm days has caused the security sensor on the window to pop off.  I look out the window and see a police car enter the parking lot.      

I walk out the back door. Standing in the light with my cell phone up to my ear and my hands in the clear, telling the security company that they do not need to call off the Police, I can do it from here.  

When the officer steps out he recognizes me. (small town) I tell him about the sensor and thank him for responding.  (but I can't help but wonder why the ON DUTY officer took longer than me to respond, possibly he was busy)  

I tape up the sensor till I can fix it later and go home.  Walk in the bedroom.  Tell my wife it was a false alarm.  

"I know she says, I've been watching our security camera.  (we can pull up the camera on our cell phones)

That's the basic story, here are my thoughts.  

I'm looking at it from the stand point of "what if"  What if someone had been in my building?

1. Next to my bed I had 3 pistols, MY EDC Glock 27, a glock 23 that was also in a CBST and a Glock 22 with a streamlight laser/light attached.  All in a small bedside safe.  2 steps from there and I had to walk past it on the way out was a .45 1911 in an uncle mikes holster.

I wouldn't take the 1911, because it is not my EDC platform.  I don't have to give any thought to how to draw and use my EDC.
The G22 would have been ideal to actually clear the building, but It does not have a holster.  It is my home defense, fight my way to my rifle set up.  
The G23 with it's greater capacity would have been better than the G27.

Why did I put on the G27?  Cause it is the one I put on every day.  I gave no thought to whether something else would have been a better option.
Maybe I need to find a Holster for the G22 that works with the Light on it?  I certainly wouldn't want to carry it "gangster" in my pants without a holster, but it would have been a better option for the "What if" Scenario if I had brought it.

2. speaking of light, I had 3 available.  One on the G22, one on my nightstand, and one in my truck.  I took none of them into the building with me. :(

3. Should I have waited for the police that I knew where coming?  Don't know.

4. Why the hell didn't I remember the security camera and pull it up while I was driving so that I could see if there was movement in the building?

5. Should I have entered gun drawn?  Maybe.  I'm second guessing my decision to leave my gun in it's holster.   My reasoning is this.  If no one is in the building, there is nothing wrong with entering gun drawn right?  No one would know (except I guess my wife watching on the security camera.  That might have scared her unnecessarily, but she would have laughed at me later)   But... if there HAD been someone inside, I probably wanted to have the edge of already being armed and ready.  As they might have been.

I didn't sleep the rest of the night going over what I "shoulda done"

Suggestions or comments AR15.com?

I'm thankful for the opportunity to respond and then learn from a false alarm.  What should I have done?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#1]
While the small town might've saved you I'm going to say that going gun drawn while knowing the police were on the way would be a bad idea. They show up and see you with a gun inside a business with an alarm going off where the business owner confirmed it's a legit alarm....see where that's going?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While the small town might've saved you I'm going to say that going gun drawn while knowing the police were on the way would be a bad idea. They show up and see you with a gun inside a business with an alarm going off where the business owner confirmed it's a legit alarm....see where that's going?

FPNI - This is what I was thinking as you were telling the story.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Going into your building alone was a mistake, in my opinion. Gun drawn or not, if there was an armed someone in there they would have had the advantage.

The classes I've been fortunate enough to take regading this topic have taught me that it sucks and you most likely will get shot...

Pulling up the security camera from home or while parked outside the business seems to be the best action. Then wait for plenty of backup and let them know what you see...

Glad it worked out in any case.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This was my thoughts too. I'm surprised the OP didn't get drawn down on by the cop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a procedure in place for alarm conditions.
1. Do not respond without first calling police to verify the alarm company has called and the police are responding.
2. Do not get out of your vehicle until police arrive and talk to you.

In 1998 a friend who was a mgr. in another store responded to an alarm call from an alarm company. A fake call. He didn't follow the set procedure and check with the alarm company or police. They found him dead on the floor of the office, safe opened, and empty. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
F that... You got insurance... Observe and report
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Going into your building alone was a mistake, in my opinion. Gun drawn or not, if there was an armed someone in there they would have had the advantage.

The classes I've been fortunate enough to take regading this topic have taught me that it sucks and you most likely will get shot...

Pulling up the security camera from home or while parked outside the business seems to be the best action. Then wait for plenty of backup and let them know what you see...

Glad it worked out in any case.

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Why didn't you just check the camera in the first place Rambo?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]

I use this with my glock 35 and tlr1
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you were planning on investigating, I would have grabbed a light at least, and probably a long gun.  If it takes you more than 2 minutes to put on your gun belt, perhaps consider reconfiguring it or have a separate "SHTF" (as opposed to regular EDC gun belt) setup that you can throw on real quick in the event you have to go somewhere, or check the perimeter of our house, i.e. more than just a nightstand gun if you hear a noise already in your house.

I personally EDC a G19 with a thick leather reinforced kydex belt in a VM2.  However, this takes time to put on if you don't just leave it on your pants from the day before.  Therefore, I have a Wilderness Tactical belt with a OWB holster setup for G19 with TLR-1 mounted, along with a dual mag carrier, and OC and a baton for less than lethal options.  I leave the tactical belt pre-latched and hung up so I can just step into it even in boxers and just cinch up the strap & velcro.  It is easier to show with a photo.

I had a similar experience to you where I caught a bunch of teenagers who either broke in or were trespassing after somebody else had broken in (no alarm).  I was lucky enough to hear them making noise as I entered the parking lot in my vehicle.  Initially I got my pistol out, but as soon as I figured out they were inside the building, I grabbed the AR from the trunk and covered the only entry/exit that was unlocked (forced entry) while I called 911.  Here's my archived thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/596487_Had_to_Draw_Down__earlier_tonight___.html

EDIT:

Quoted:

[SNIP]

I had this same evaluation in my situation.  I opted the safest course of action was to simply stay put in the parking lot and cover the entrance while waiting for the cavalry to arrive.  I wasn't going to clear the building myself.  I used my vehicle as semi-cover from the other part of the yard in case somebody else was outside.  I also made sure to tell 911 very expressly that I, the property owner, at the scene and armed and that they should relay that to the responding units.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
also notify the alarm company that you are going to the property..and ask them to notify the police of this...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It's easy to second guess, a lot more difficult when making decisions on the fly.  Maybe telling the wife to call the security company and let them know that you are on the way and to notify LEO of this fact.  Knowing LEO is on the way and going in armed alone is a bad idea.  Mistaken identy and all.  
What if....if there had been someone inside, they probably would have heard you coming and hid.  Your wife would have had a front seat to your death.  Not good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Good advice so far.  It never occurred to to NOT go in.  sheesh.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Write down a "OFFICE ALARM PROCEDURE":

Make several copies, keep in your vehicle, and at home near phone.

Laminated, on colored paper.

Put the little reminders on it like "remember office keys, ID, business card, check remote camera feed...."

ETA:

Wait for the Cops

Don't touch anything if real break in...

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Next time check your cameras when you are talking to central station.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#16]
You should have your gear ready to roll at night anyway.If you're on call for an alarm drop keep everything right at hand near your bed,shoes,clothes,everything you need close at hand.Should be prepared even if you're not on call.

Definitely never go closer than the parking lot till LE has cleared the bldg.Good way to get killed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Hindsight is 20/20...Could you have done Better YES!! but your ok and the restraunt is ok and not damaged. Pull cams first, becarful when you Know PD is responding and having a gun on you. Local PD was probably asleep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top