Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2002 8:07:48 PM EDT
Does anybody know why we have "bad words". Like you can say feces but not shit. It refers to the same substance. It's just a word. I think it has something to do with religion a long time ago. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe words don't bring on a bad connotation until people use them in a sense to where it can be construed as being a "bad" word.  Therefore, I'd have to say people are the ones who make them bad simply by how they choose to use them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
A long time ago, I seem to remember hearing that a lot of the words considered coarse language originated with the peasantry in England.  It was considered in poor taste in noble society to use the same words as them.  Like I said, it was awhile ago when I heard this and can't remember if the source was trustworthy or not.

Personally, the whole thing with people getting up in a fuss about swear words seems pretty pointless to me.  I can understand the problems with using the name of the Lord in vain, if one is a christian, but otherwise, who cares.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no bad words.  Think about it.  When you get pissed you can say "darn" or "dang" or "damn".  With all three you mean the same thing.  So how is one "bad."  Same for fudge, freak, frig, fuck...all mean the same thing.

As for "The Lord's name in vain" thing, "Goddamn" is not using the Lord's name. The Lord's name is Jehovah/Yahweh, or I Am That I Am.  Therefore Jehovahdamn is using the Lord's name in vain, or I Am That I Am  Damn is, but God's name is NOT God.

My 1.58 cents

TS  [X]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
When I tell my wife I wanna "fuck", she gets pissed off and walks away...

When I tell her I wanna "make love", she drags me into the bedroom...

Go figure...They both mean the same thing to me.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I KNEW I was doing something wrong!!
I'm gonna try option #2 tonight .  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree, i use all those words on a daily basis. I'm just wondering how they got to become unacceptable to use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Bad words originated shortly after the invention of the coffee table.
The first words were muttered in dimlit caves from men not wearing goat leggings and stumbling through the dark to happen upon such tables.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Normans.

Nearly all the 'bad' words in English are the old Anglic words that the Saxons used, or words that have evolved from the words that the Saxons used.

When the French-Vikings, the Normans, took over they didnt use those words and they were considered part of the 'underclass', not to be used in 'polite' company.

Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
same old bullshit (OOPS)....there was a time
when thumbing your nose at someone was considered obscene. it is just a bunch of crap.
today showing someone your middle finger is
considered obscene & can get you in legal
trouble. so in the future show them your
pinkie finger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda sorta.

During the Middle Ages in England, permission was required from the King to procreate.  Notice would  be posted out front

F ornication
U nder
C onsent of the
K ing

At least that is what I was told once was the origin of this word.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/huh.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, but with the proper setup, the first one can get you dragged onto the kitchen table.  [:D]

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Kinda sorta.

During the Middle Ages in England, permission was required from the King to procreate.  Notice would  be posted out front

F ornication
U nder
C onsent of the
K ing

At least that is what I was told once was the origin of this word.

[url]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/huh.gif[/url]
View Quote

Sorry, that is a legend.  

the F word is more than likely descended from old German or Dutch, maybe Old Norse.

[url]http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Okay sorry, those who knew me know I had to do this:

Main Entry: [2]fuck
Function: noun
Date: 1680
1 : usually obscene : an act of copulation
2 : usually obscene : a sexual partner
3 a : usually vulgar : DAMN 2 b : usually vulgar : — used especially with the as a meaningless intensive

Main Entry: [1]fuck
Pronunciation: 'f&k
Function: verb
Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate
Date: 1503
intransitive senses
1 : usually obscene : COPULATE — sometimes used in the present participle as a meaningless intensive
2 : usually vulgar : MESS 3 — used with with
transitive senses
1 : usually obscene : to engage in coitus with — sometimes used interjectionally with an object (as a personal or reflexive pronoun) to express anger, contempt, or disgust
2 : usually vulgar : to deal with unfairly or harshly : CHEAT, SCREW

Silence gets a cookie for saying this was dutch.  Remember, when in doubt Meriam Webster always slid a little something extra interesting into his dictionary. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#15]
More elitist nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are no bad words.  Think about it.  When you get pissed you can say "darn" or "dang" or "damn".  With all three you mean the same thing.  So how is one "bad."  Same for fudge, freak, frig, fuck...all mean the same thing.

As for "The Lord's name in vain" thing, "Goddamn" is not using the Lord's name. The Lord's name is Jehovah/Yahweh, or I Am That I Am.  Therefore Jehovahdamn is using the Lord's name in vain, or I Am That I Am  Damn is, but God's name is NOT God.

My 1.58 cents

TS  [X]
View Quote

using the lords name in vain is just{crocodile  tears)    Praying to god and not really meaning it,that is taking his name in vain!

All the rest is just bull shit!  

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
More elitist nonsense.
View Quote

AGREED!

Bill
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]
[b]Where did "Bad" words come from?[/b]

Fuck if I know!  

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Ditto [b]Silence[/b]'s explanation.  This is exactly the same info I found when researching this very topic years ago (before the "www").
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top