involuntary manslaughter and
                            aggravated assault for their
                            roles in a mistaken bombing in
                            Afghanistan that killed four
                            Canadian soldiers and
                            wounded eight.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I read this in the paper today and it SUCKS!  Friendly fire accidents happen.  It sucks that the Canadian troops got hit, but it was an accident in a war zone.  I am not devaluing the lives of the Canadian soldiers, I would say the same if was our own guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently it was more than "just an accident."

The pilots involved screwed up on more than one level.  They reported they were receiving ground fire, but the evidence presented showed that they should have been able to determine that they were not.  They dropped a LGB on a known training area.  They released the weapon after they'd been told to hold by the controlling AWACS.

If you want to know more about what happened, start reading [url=www.snappingturtle.net/jmc/flit/2002_09_01_archive.html#81554307]this link[/url] and scroll up.  

You read it and decide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top