Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2013 8:11:44 AM EDT
I think I might try the old soap and brush, what am I to look for when picking this stuff out? I dont want to spend mega bucks to only have the stuff not work for me and sit there.

Update..

OK was at wallys tonight and saw a boar brush soap and cup set for 8 bucks and figured WTF.

I tried it..

WoW just WoW. much better shave than hand soap in the shower like ive been doing for YEARS! And that's with my trusty Xtream 3 disposable. I think im sold.. Just next time i need a bit more water. lather was a bit dry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
www.badgerandblade.com  is a good website with lots of info on shaving brushes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I totally misread the title.

+1  

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here, completely.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL oops..
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, completely.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I might try the old soap and brush, what am I to look for when picking this stuff out? I dont want to spend mega bucks to only have the stuff not work for me and sit there.

You dont have to go super expensive, just make sure it is pure Boar Bristle...anything more than $5-$10 you're payuing for silly Frippery.  LAPG had a sale on them about 6 months ago for IIRC $2@, i bought half a dozen to go in cleaning kits, since they work well for dusting out actions.  The older brush i'd been using to shave with split, so i grabbed one of the cheapos and started using it, and it's worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#8]
And IIRC, this is the site of an ARFcommer...

http://kellsoriginal.com/

I use their Arabian Spice soap daily.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I found a cool ever-ready red and white badger at the flea market for 4 bucks.
Lathers like a mother fucker.
Looks neat as hell with the traditional barber colors scheme
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#10]
If you don't want to spend a large amount to start, you can try a Tweezerman badger brush.  Definitely get a badger brush, they are much better than any basic drugstore brush you may find.

If you like that you can go for a larger and/or more expensive brush.  I currently have a Taylor of Old Bond badger brush and really like it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Omega Boar $9.00

You could spend a lot more, but this is a great brush once it is broken in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Have used these guys for years! Great stuff!!  

http://www.truefittandhill.com/index.jsp
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
so the better the brush the more the lather?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nope
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Look at straightrazordesign for brushes also.  Though most will be $.

Era:  to answer actual question boar is ok badger is better.  I prefer a larger brush but some like a smaller for more detailed work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

then what? status symbol?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Pics please...oh I misread the title.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

yup.....

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

here ya go..

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Target sells a VDH badger brush for something like 10 bucks. Start there, if you have acquisition disorder real bad you'll be in trouble in no time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#21]

I use a synthetic brush.  It works fine with Kells soap and a DE razor.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

here ya go..

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAwiOM0WK4sXP6IBkDvJ6oQ53UkxeJDcFRCfFYKK7_5-bILGkagA

I'd called that "well trimmed", not shaved....

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Too often, yes.  

I guess it depends on how you define "better brush" for your question.  A more expensive brush is not always a better quality brush.  Some of the expensive "ultra super five band badger nutsack hair" brushes while being premium will not have the most utility when it comes to shaving.  There is a balance between softness, scritchiness, backbone and water retention that needs to balance out to make a really nice badger shaving brush.

A "better brush" to me would be one that has a soft feel on the fact, creates a nice lather and has enough backbone to lift the hairs in preparation for the shaving.   Despite all of the brushes that I own, I reach for my Omega boar brush at least 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

here ya go..

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAwiOM0WK4sXP6IBkDvJ6oQ53UkxeJDcFRCfFYKK7_5-bILGkagA

I'd called that "well trimmed", not shaved....

hard to google shaved bush at work, and keep my job.. so topiary it was..
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Too often, yes.  

I guess it depends on how you define "better brush" for your question.  A more expensive brush is not always a better quality brush.  Some of the expensive "ultra super five band badger nutsack hair" brushes while being premium will not have the most utility when it comes to shaving.  There is a balance between softness, scritchiness, backbone and water retention that needs to balance out to make a really nice badger shaving brush.

So silvertip badger is not all that and a bag of chips? damn good thing i asked first before plunking down a hundred on a high end brush. Gives me more money for primers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got a silvertip badger brush by GBS from amazon for $39.99.
It had 5 stars, and in it's two uses it's proven to be way better than the cheap badger brush I've been using.
it puts the soap on very evenly, and it holds a lot more water.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Think I have just the thing

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

keep her away from. Capt Kirk..

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I prefer a badger brush over boar. Boar tends to be stiffer, and pokes more. Plus, boar being cheaper, seems to mean cheaper quality overall.
Maybe it's all in my head, but I seem to recall that the badger brushes do indeed lather better. I know mine seems to.....I seem to recall something about how they retain water better or something.

I paid around $15 for a Col Conk badger brush. They're not that expensive for a lower end model.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Bare minimum of a 'better badger' hair brush. I would suggest a 'silver-tip' Badger hair model but that's going to run you around $50 regardless of brand. I have an older version of this....

WCS
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Try something like this first to see if you like it. Then once you get hooked you can go spend a chunk of cash if you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-2801-h-Mens-Shaving-Brush/dp/B000G647Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360604890&sr=8-1&keywords=shave+brush

that brush is a good start

Pick up some of the CO Bigelo shave cream (in the tube) from bath and Body works it is $10, it really is poraso shave soap.

Get a good preshave oil too... that will make life much better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Silver Tip Badger brush.  Silver Tips are the softest but the most expensive.  I think I paid somewhere around $80 for mine.  You can get them for less or a whole lot more.

Make sure you have a good stand to let it dry throughly.

Here's an article to read up on.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from classicshaving.com.  They're good people with a huge selection and decent prices.

ETA:  Here's a good "How To" for using a brush.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Badger hair is a wise investment.  Expect to spend about 40 bucks on a basic Vulfix, Simpson, etc. brand Badger brush.  You want a simple one.

I have only used my current brush for 5 years of near daily use and it looks and performs no different than when it started.

Boar brushes are not as efficient in use.  

Badgers have a reputation for being grouchy.  I think I know why.  Badger hair absorbs water, which is why it makes a fine material for shaving brushes.  Consider the plight of the poor badger, however.  Going through life outdoors with hair that absorbs water?  They are probably always cold, which in turn makes them grouchy.

I think Sally Struthers did a late night commercial for a correspondence course that offered a 3 week degree in Badger Shaving.  Just think, in three short weeks you too could be part of the exciting field of shaving badgers....
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Have used these guys for years! Great stuff!!  
http://www.truefittandhill.com/index.jsp

A huge plus one for Truefitt & Hill products.  Expensive but all of their products are awesome.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I would recommend getting one from Larry at whippeddog.com.  His prices are great and customer service is even better.  For your first brush I would get a silver tip badger brush no smaller than 20mm and no bigger than 24mm.  I would stay away from the black or pure badger, if you want something that rough go with one of the omega boar brushes.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get into wet shaving, but if it turns out you really enjoy it things can get expensive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Badger:  You want Badger

You don't want bristle

You want Badger

Yes, they cost more,but...
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Try something like this first to see if you like it. Then once you get hooked you can go spend a chunk of cash if you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-2801-h-Mens-Shaving-Brush/dp/B000G647Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360604890&sr=8-1&keywords=shave+brush

Pick up some of the CO Bigelo shave cream (in the tube) from bath and Body works it is $10, it really is poraso shave soap.Get a good preshave oil too... that will make life much better.

I reently began exclusively using the Proraso shave cream in the tube ( the red tube Sandalwood and the new Blue tube aloe). They lather up almost instantly, and you need a blob the size of a marble to get a multiple-pass shave.
the aloe  ( blue ) has no more scent than a bar of ivory soap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Badger:  You want Badger

You don't want bristle

You want Badger

Yes, they cost more,but...

but what?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#40]
This is probably the best cheap brush you can get.  I own it.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-11047-Banded-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_797.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Omega-11047-Banded-Boar-Shaving-Brush_p_797.html

That brush is the shit.  I didn't know that they were still making it with mixed hair.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good brush but and I love mine as a travel brush.  For $26 you can get a great silver tip that will last for years and will be much softer on your face.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pick up some of the CO Bigelo shave cream (in the tube) from bath and Body works it is $10, it really is poraso shave soap.

Get a good preshave oil too... that will make life much better.

All this. This is the same advice I was given 2 months. And the Bigelow stuff is awesome too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#44]
So a brush makes of world of difference  over using your fingers to apply shaving cream?
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my Vulfix 1000a just fine. Much better than the shed-o-matic VDH boar brush I got from Walgreens, and reasonably cheap, too. I've no desire for anything better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a badger brush that I used a couple of months. I don't like it. Too floppy. The bristles don't have enough structure to me.

Boar brushes that I fondled are rough as a cob.

Here's what I use. The synthetic bristles are just right to me. It keeps its shape when wet, lathers vociferously, and I can use it to put on makeup.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So a brush makes of world of difference  over using your fingers to apply shaving cream?

I use my fingers with Mugso, Nancy Boy and Cremo, but you kind of need a brush to lather a Harris soap, or cream.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, completely.

glad to see I wasn't the only one!
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Alright, all of the talk about how rough boar brushes are makes me realize that very few people know how to prepare a boar brush.  Even my cheap Omega boars have a tip that feel softer on the face than a badger.  Once the tips have split, the brush becomes incredibly soft on your face.  There are methods to accelerate the process, but I find that it takes two to three weeks of daily work to actually get a boar brush properly broken in.  

My process:

1. Wash the funk out.  Some people rely on detergent or other soap the first couple of days, but I will use the same basic shaving soap every day from the start.  Lather and rinse the brush

2. After you have rinsed the brush flick out as much moisture as you can.  Take a terrycloth towel in your other had and begin running the tips of the brush over the towel.  As you are flicking the brush across the towel make a small rotation of the brush in your hand.  Keep going until you have rotated the brush 360 degrees.  Because we are drying the brush as we abrade the tips the brush will actually dry completely in 24 hours.  

3.  Repeat for a couple of weeks.  I start shaving with the boar about a week into the process so I can see how its progressing.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok I did it.. update at top.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top