Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2002 9:55:32 PM EDT
I just bought a couple of Motorola 2 way radios. There's an orange card in the packaging advising that the radios operate on the GMRS frequencies and a FCC license is required.

So what do you think? Something that I should blow-off or comply with?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you were "pirating" in the VHF/UHF assigned freq spectrum? Yes, "Uncle Charlie" would be up your ass with a microscope....at least that's what they'd like you to think.

We have a handful of "power junkies" that hop up CB's using 2-meter ham amps...they used to come through the cord on my headphones when I was just laying on the couch tryin' to get a good buzz on. Pissed me off, boy.

Then they started driving by work, and they would overload the VHF-high band FD receivers (mind you, we operate on 150 Mhz range...CB is 27 Mhz range). Called the FCC one day to complain...was told that "unless it was a constant or immediate threat to publis safety, they couldn't do anything. Gave me a line about consumer electronics "being required to accept interference". I countered with the fact that yes, my baby monitor had to listen to the kid down the street, but my computer speakers and headphones were not recievers. Got the runaround. Basically told that bleedover was acceptable, as long as it wasn't intentional, or being done with a pirate hi-band xcvr.

Is it a federal crime? Yes.

Can they prosecute you? Yes.

Do GMRS licensees have a specific frequency allocation to complain about? No, just like CB, they've got to eat you if you're licensed... The FCC would say "pick another channel". So,

Are you liable to be investigated if you're polite and don't cuss or actively disrupt regular commo? Probably not.

Tango7 - never condoning illegal activity.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Two way radio is a subject I know VERY well.

Don't try to pirate on GMRS freqencies.  GMRS users in any given area are a tight knit group, and in order for you to use a GMRS repeater, you have to get certain data from the repeater's owner, and any unauthorized access will result in him shutting it down.    They're watching, in other words.

In UHF, the only license free channels are the FRS channels, which are limited to two watts and only FRS radios can be legally used on those channels anyway.

You probably COULD get away with low key operations on a channel between 450 and 470 MHz if there is no activity on the selected frequency at all for a hundred miles in any direction.    

The itinerant business channels in UHF are pretty easy to license.  It's a card you fill out and mail in.    Search for Itinerant Business frequencies and UHF and you'll find
out about them.

VHF has some usable "license free" channels, though.   Search it.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have a handful of "power junkies" that hop up CB's using 2-meter ham amps......
View Quote

I do believe most are 10m amps.

I've got a Amateur Radio License (as many here do) and myself and others will do what they can to "protect" ourselves from those who are giving our hobby bad press with their illegal activities.  I would expect simillar action with the licensed GMRS folks.

I will go as far as to say that the FCC will/can/has called upon hams to assist with interferance/illegal problems.

Get the license, it's cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, guys. I bought these at Circuit City. They are 1 watt "Talkabouts" made by Motorola.
If I'd known I was going to have to get a license to use them, I might have re-thought the purchase.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We have a handful of "power junkies" that hop up CB's using 2-meter ham amps..., or being done with a pirate hi-band xcvr.

View Quote

Getting a two meter amplifier to work on the eleven meter band would be a pretty good trick. CB is 27 MHz, while two meter amateur is 144 -148 MHz. The people powering up their CB rigs are using [b]Ham Amplifiers[/b], or illegally manufactured 11 meter amplifiers. And if it is a base station, they may just be using a Amateur Xcvr, such as the old Yaesu FT101.

Bill, N6EXD
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have a handful of "power junkies" that hop up CB's using 2-meter ham amps......
View Quote

I do believe most are 10m amps.

I've got a Amateur Radio License (as many here do) and myself and others will do what they can to "protect" ourselves from those who are giving our hobby bad press with their illegal activities.  I would expect simillar action with the licensed GMRS folks.

I will go as far as to say that the FCC will/can/has called upon hams to assist with interferance/illegal problems.

Get the license, it's cheaper in the long run.
View Quote

In Southern California there was an amateur operator with the call sign WB6JAC. Good old Richard, lost his license from jamming other amateur operators transmissions. Uncle Charley prosecuted him and Richard did 18 months in the Federal pen at Lompoc, CA.

Old Richard gets out of the pokey and now, using the call sign N6, starts bootlegging again. Right on the repeaters where every body knows, and dislikes him. In comes Uncle Charley, and off Richard goes to the Club Fed slammer again. He's out now, again, and I will bet you, he is bootlegging again, somewhere.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#12]
While we're on the subject, maybe you guys can help me solve a problem:

A few months ago, I started hearing "voices" coming from my AV system speakers.  Not loud, but muffled, fuzzy voices that I could hear even when the volume is turned all the way down.  I see about 4 HAM radio antennaes in my neighborhood, could these guys be the problem?  How can I get rid of it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Look for the radios that have the new MURS frequencies.  I've seen some that have both FRS and MURS in the same radio.  No license and greater flexibility.

Here's a page with some info.

www.provide.net/~prsg/murs_faq.htm
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
They sound like the adults in the Charlie Brown specials. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#17]
If the radios are Talkabouts,  and they're on FRS frequencies (which are technically the GMRS splinter channels) then no license is necessary.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top