Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2002 9:06:11 PM EDT
I thought I had her converted, then she started the "what do you need guns for" again.  Never underestimate the power of the Liberal Media.

2 hours later, I think I just about covered all the reasons, but she need more de-programming.
Please help.

Could someone please post that section of US code that says that all males, 18-80 (or whatever) are members of the unorganised Militia.

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
take her out and have her shoot about 1000 rounds through your ar-15 in one afternoon.

that should be enough for the first day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
"The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard."

-Title 10, Section 311 of the U.S. Code.

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...

I think it's 10USC366 you want to look at, but I know it's in there somehwere.  Essentially, the "militia" are all the able-bodied adults running around.

Do a search for "United States Code," and go from there.  The House has a site up that is easily searchable, that's the one you want...

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Here you go... [url=www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html]Title 10, Section 311 of the U.S. Code.
[/url]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It appears I win the "Post the US Code" race.

I demand a cookie.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
But I provided a link!

I believe that cookie belongs to me!  [flag]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't bother - you'd do better to explain that 1 in 4 people will be the victim of a violent crime in their lifetime...  and you don't want to be one of them and you don't want her to be one either.

but if you want to pursue the constitutional scholar route...

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > Sec. 311.

Sec. 311. - Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are -

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The CONSTITUTIONAL version says that each STATE has its' own militia.

The PEOPLE of the STATE are militia.

The rights of those PEOPLE to bear arms shall not be infringed.

If you are a private citizen who is part of the militia, you CANNOT be ordered to go fight overseas because then you are a FEDERAL soldier and NOT a militia member...Now, a draft situation is a bit different, and so is a militia member who WANTS to go fight (in that case, go sign up.

I know I have screwed-the-pooch in trying to eloquate this, but what I am trying to say, is that a states' National Guard (or Army reserves)is NOT the militia required by the Constitution. Why? Because the National Guard, when thrown overseas, becomes a Federal fighting force (just like the Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines etc)...Not only that, but they are probably under UN control in most cases.

Oh, to answer your question...
We are all militia UNLESS you are part of an organized Federal force or state force that is working along side Federal forces.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You know something.

I really wish people (gun people that is) would stop using the 'militia' argument to justify the Right to keep and bear Arms.  It leads too easily to the 'collective rights' straw man.

Being the Militia has NOTHING to so with your right to keep and bear.

You are the militia because you have that RIGHT.  Not the other way around.

The RIGHT to keep and bear arms is part of the right to LIFE.  It is part of the RIGHT to self-defense.  It is part of the RIGHT to liberty.  It is part of the RIGHT to the pursuit of happiness.  The Militia has jack shit to do with it.

It is part of your RIGHT to self-defense, be it from a wild animal, or a criminal (be it a common criminal, or a tyranical politician).

So guys, please slow down the 'we are the militia' argument with regards to the 'Right to keep and bear arms'.  You are falling into the trap set by the 'collectivists' when you do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out your state laws as well-our state (buried in the civil statutes) states that the militia consists of:
The National Guard
The (organized) State Guard
The Reserve State Guard (which consists of all able-bodied males 18-45 who aren't on active duty or in the Reserves, National Guard, State Guard or Police/Firefighters).
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
My state, PA, doesn't even mention the milita I believe.

It just says "The right of the people to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned."

It also says we can't bear arms openly unless there is a civil emergency or the governer asks us to.

So I just assume from those two, that everybody in PA who owns a firearm is part of the PA milita, since the governer can "draft" us all in an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#14]

1. Put on a few pounds.  
2. Wear lots of camoflage clothing.
3.  Wear headbands, cammo headbands.
4.  Run around in the backyard with this outfit and an AK, while screaming "The UN is coming! The UN is coming!".
5. Build a shrine in your house, dedicated to Timothy McVeigh.

That will surely convince her.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, Spade, ya beat me on this one.

(I remember having the link on my "favorites" list just for occasions like this, but I'm glad someone else can produce on demand..good show!)

Oh, BTW, there is an addition to 10USC311 that allows women who are prior military service, not just NG.

Tango7
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But I provided a link!

I believe that cookie belongs to me!  [flag]
View Quote

Is your browser set to accept cookies?  

[:D]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Why does the militia need guns?

Because Todd Beamer did his militia duty when he took on the terrorists on 9-11, bare handed.  See the pics of his widowed wife and child on the news?  Maybe he would still be here if he could have just shot the sum bitches instead of having to try and wrestle razor blades from their hands.

Edited to add...everytime she does that, you should fall back into "what do I need a wife for"..
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
www.dictionary.com

mi·li·tia  n.
1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.

2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.

3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Ha ha. I was checking out the link beekeeper provided on his first post of this thread. I click on a link labeled The Right to Hunt. It took me to Amazon's site and I came across an anti-hunting message down in the Customer Reviews. Here [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0936783206/starflightmediaA/002-0601246-1758419[/url]

I don't know about her but I went on my first hunt with my brother on labor day weekend. Damn was it fun. I have not yet taken a course though. His friend had some nuisiance permits because of the deer eating the grapes from his vineyard. My bro gave me the heads up on safety and showed me where to shoot if I came across a deer. BTW, I used his Marlin 30-30 w/scope sitting on a small hill looking downwards while he used his bow on a treestand. His friends started a hunting club and I'm waiting to see if they can teach me how to bowhunt since it's about to start here in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top