Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2013 11:45:21 AM EDT
I'm writing a research paper about the Second Amendment and the debate about it's meaning. I'm working at refuting the gun control crowd's claim that the NRA created the individual right out of thin air in the 60's and 70's. One of my premises is that the increased push for the individual right aspect of the Second Amendment was in response to the increase in calls for greater gun control but I need some sort of source I can cite that from. If anybody has a website link or a book that would have something to that affect that they could share I would appreciate it. I've been searching but there is so much current BS out there it's hard to find anything useful.

I figured you guys would most likely have the most info on the subject but if the mods think it will be better somewhere else go ahead and move it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing that I frequently reference are quotes from the founding fathers about the second amendment: such as "Guns are the people's liberty teeth," "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."  It seems pretty well documented that the founding fathers intended for individuals to possess the right to be well armed to protect against violence and tyranny.  I typically start there when I'm debating people.  I think the Miller decision in '39 is often quoted as a place where the US Supreme Court ruled that firearm ownership is an individual right.  I hope this helps.    
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to the guys that replied here and via PM.  I do believe I found what I needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm writing a research paper about the Second Amendment and the debate about it's meaning. I'm working at refuting the gun control crowd's claim that the NRA created the individual right out of thin air in the 60's and 70's. One of my premises is that the increased push for the individual right aspect of the Second Amendment was in response to the increase in calls for greater gun control but I need some sort of source I can cite that from. If anybody has a website link or a book that would have something to that affect that they could share I would appreciate it. I've been searching but there is so much current BS out there it's hard to find anything useful.

I figured you guys would most likely have the most info on the subject but if the mods think it will be better somewhere else go ahead and move it.

Thanks

I'll give you the benefit of my lessons learned writing a similar paper in college.  First of all; it was only in 2008 that the supreme court ruled that it was an individual right; so don't go looking for supreme court rulings like I did.  However; Chicago vs Miller in 1938 can be used to some degree.

What I would do is download the 2008 DC vs Heller ruling and look at the reasoning and sources that Associate Justice Antonin Scalia used to back up his opinion that the 2A was an individual right opposed to a collective right linked to some form of organized militia/military service.
DC vs Heller Ruling

Several Justices did not agree with Scalia and their dissenting opinions are in the ruling as well.  Look at their arguments and go find their sources and see if you can shoot holes in their arguments.

Download and read The Federalist's papers - http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/poldocs/fed-papers.pdf
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If not an individual right what would it be?  The way I read it it was meant to be an individual right from the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top