Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2002 4:09:56 PM EDT
I just received the following clip in my email today. Can anyone here confirm that is factual or just another internet BS email message.

Thanks HW

Anyone remember this?  It was 1987!

At a lecture the other day they were playing an old news video of Lt.  Col.  Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.  There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by some senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No?  And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened?  By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist?  What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't.  A couple of people laughed at the attempt.  Then the senator continued.  Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."

That senator was Al Gore!
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The terrorist was Abu Nidal (confirmed by North, himself).
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The terrorist was Abu Nidal (confirmed by North, himself).
View Quote

Yep. Thats right[^]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This email came around my office too.  This is not true.  Oliver North had even responded to it several years ago.  The senator was not Al Gore either.  (Too bad, it does make an interesting story.)

Added:  Oh yeah, he also commented on the security system too.  North said it was not $60,000, but more like $16,000 or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Read all about it at:
[url=]http://www.snopes.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
not that old shit again. pull out your "iran contra" transcripts (you DO have them dont you) and search diligently. you will see the conversation referenced the late Abu Nidal during a portion of the hearings where they tryed to nail ollie for waste fraud and abuse for having a $30k dollar security system installed at his house.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Ollie wasn't wrong about any of this!  If I were Ollie I would buy all of my neigbors good rifles and then tell them keep your eyes open,as when they come for me they will also be comming for you!   Best kind of neighborhood watch group yet!

Keep your head up! Its a set up-  Tou-pac!

Bob   [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top