Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2002 3:04:10 PM EDT
Was kinda curious, as all come home from the day of remembrance of September 11,2001, what has our educational system in the United States of America taught you or your children about the Terrorist Attacks on September 11,2001?

What kinds of things have some of you that are in colleges, or are in high school been taught today about September 11,2001 by your teachers?

As parents with children in schools all across america, What was your children taught today about the Terrorist Attacks on September 11,2001?
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My son is 5 years old and has started kindergarden this year. In someways I was impressed with the way his teacher discussed the situation.

Basically she said to the kids is that the men who flew the planes into the buildings were bad men that were angry with our country. She had also said that even though they were angry with our country they did not handle there anger in the right way, and that flying the airplanes into the buildings was wrong! Then some kids asked well why were they angry and she immediately diverted to another issue, which I thought was good, I mean kindergardener's how do you explain the why part! One thing she emphasized is that the leaders of our country were working very hard to catch the bad guys, and that the kids are very safe.

I thought for a kindergarden class this was handled fairly well.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, at my little sister's catholic school they did a prayer service, and all the students had a pin with an American flag and a cross on it to wear. I think they watched a lot of the day's services on the news (she knew more about those shaving Arabs on that plane then I did).

At PSU -WB they had a memorial service at noon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
i would guess that for the most part the teachers parked the kids in front of TV's today and did some paperwork of their own.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Junior at at public high school.

We read an article in honors chemistry explaining the specifics of why the towers collapsed. Then we had a moment of silence, a non-denominational prayer, and listened to "Proud to be an American" on the PA system.

AP American History-Discussed the war on terrorism, possible invasion of Irag, etc. Had a vote on whether Iraq should be invaded or not. I was the only one to vote "no."

AP Psychology-Read article on emotions and adjusting from 9-11.

French, Math, and English were business as usual.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I'm sure none of them taught anything usefull, like marksmanship, or care and feeding of AR's and AK's. So I say business as usual.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#6]
No, my Kindergartener didn't get taught how to field strip an AR or an AK, but his daddy will teach him that at home when he gets old enough.[:D]

What he did get was to say the Pledge of Allegience, to work with the other kids to make an American flag, and begin learning "America the Beautiful".  I'll settle for that for a 5 year old.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I teach special ed and my kids don't really comprehend that it even happended, but we have another class of students with severe behavior problems but are on an academic track.  All the students would talk about is how much they wanted to see the middle east blown to bits.  They do have problems with anger management though. [:P]
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top